IGNORED

Ifs, buts and Maybes

1 hour ago, Hoof_It_Nev said:

Not a great day for us, but I guess it could be worse. A point tomorrow would be amazing now. 

It’s not a bad day at all. One of those teams getting 3 points would have been bad, 2 of them getting 3 terrible. 

the odds and prediction model has our position strengthened.

if we by miracle managed a win tomorrow then I think we are practically safe. Not mathematically but it would knock the crap out of the others. Forest have got arsenal to play with a very buoyant palace on last game.   I think they may get 1 point max.

Leicester, if they get a good hiding tomorrow then the will be on 30 points with Newcastle next away. They may do West Ham and if so that’s 33 for them. 

West Ham aren't out of it. GD makes it difficult for them to be considered a candidate to go down but they've to play both Leeds and Leicester next and (we!) hope they'll win them both!

Gonna be close but I can't see any reason why we can't get at least 4 points from Wolves and Bournemouth.

Whilst I struggle to see Leicester and Leeds getting that amount.

24 minutes ago, Newty82 said:

West Ham aren't out of it. GD makes it difficult for them to be considered a candidate to go down but they've to play both Leeds and Leicester next and (we!) hope they'll win them both!

Gonna be close but I can't see any reason why we can't get at least 4 points from Wolves and Bournemouth.

Whilst I struggle to see Leicester and Leeds getting that amount.

For the next couple of weeks we’re all West Ham fans 😂

wolves away 1
bournemouth home 3

Original projected points: 36 points
Current projected points: 36 points

Forest (16th on 33pts) - Arsenal (h), Palace (a)

Everton (17th on 32pts) - Wolves (a), Bournemouth (h)

Leeds (18th on 31pts) - West Ham (a), Spurs (h) 

Leicester (19th on 30pts) - Newcastle (a), West Ham (h)

Arsenal’s collapse is bad news for us, as Forest have a good chance to get 3 points at home against them on Sat.  That would get Forest to 37, with Palace away on the final Sun.

Of course we hope to win our final 2, finish with 38, guaranteed safe.  But we can’t be confident of 6 points.

Take 4, finish on 36, looks our most reasonable hope for staying up over Leicester and Leeds.  Agonizing, though not as agonizing as for Leicester at this moment.

On 13/05/2023 at 13:03, Cornish Steve said:

I thought it was a good day. Leeds had to win today, and they didn't. Forest could take only one point, which means we move ahead of them with a win. If Leicester lose on Monday, it will have been a very good weekend.

Looking at our goal difference versus that of Leeds, the extent of our win last week becomes so important.

It turned into an excellent weekend for us.

1 hour ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

wolves away 1
bournemouth home 3

Original projected points: 36 points
Current projected points: 36 points

Forest (16th on 33pts) - Arsenal (h), Palace (a)

Everton (17th on 32pts) - Wolves (a), Bournemouth (h)

Leeds (18th on 31pts) - West Ham (a), Spurs (h) 

Leicester (19th on 30pts) - Newcastle (a), West Ham (h)

Forest have 34pts today I think. 

1 hour ago, Gwlad all over said:

What's the US equivalent?

Several, I guess: nerve-racking, nail-biting, stressful, hairy.

But with the vaguely plausible exception of “hairy,” the origin of which I do not know offhand, these Americanisms pale in comparison to “squeaky bum time,” especially for hilarity.  Brit humour (like British spelling....) is, for me, alternately more earthy and more sophisticated than American.  Not always, but often enough to charm me.

It may be that “squeaky bum time” was first uttered by Sir Alex Ferguson in 2003, referring to the pressure on Arsenal to keep up with Man U near the end of the title race.

I think we need a minimum of 4 points to secure safety, but that is still leaving it to chance.

Obviously, it all depends on what happens at the weekend, but if either of Leeds or Leicester win and we don't, then we go into final game in the bottom three needing a win and for results elsewhere to go our way. Not ideal.

Having said that I'm quietly confident that we should get something out of the Wolves game, at least as long as DCL is fit. That should at least leave our fate in our own hands.