IGNORED

Amadou Onana

41 minutes ago, Shukes said:

So that interview confirms that Lampard encourages them to make mistakes….. that explains a lot haha!

His way of putting it was perhaps a little clumsy, but I know what he means. Without being willing to fail, none of us would take the risks necessary to excel: Instead, we'd be cautious, boring, and ineffective.

3 minutes ago, Btay said:

Martinez has brought him on at half time.

Canada has surprised me, they have played extremely well but I hope Onana puts in a good half as it seems this midfield position next to witsel is his to grab right now 

Canada is a good team, finished 1st in CONCACAF qualifying. Lots of exciting young attacking talent, I'm surprised at how well they're handling Belgium defensively

20 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Canada is a good team, finished 1st in CONCACAF qualifying. Lots of exciting young attacking talent, I'm surprised at how well they're handling Belgium defensively

Yeah it’s good to see, regardless of what the result may end up they should hold their heads up high. The 11 Buchanan has looked a real threat as well - just lacks that final bit of quality however

Canada look really well organised and coached. I did think Belgium made a tonne of really bad decisions and should have punished them more on the counter but I cant see them getting far in the competition with Batshuayi leading the line and that back 5. 

They looked like how I remember a Martinez team. Crumbling as soon as really pressure was applied!

1 minute ago, Bailey said:

Canada look really well organised and coached. I did think Belgium made a tonne of really bad decisions and should have punished them more on the counter but I cant see them getting far in the competition with Batshuayi leading the line and that back 5. 

They looked like how I remember a Martinez team. Crumbling as soon as really pressure was applied!

Wonder where you saw that?

4 hours ago, Bailey said:

They peaked four years ago. Look at the age of their back line.

• 4 weeks later...

Onana was Lampard's statement signing, his first handful of games were full of passion,running, and fighting for the ball with the occasional strike at goal, yes he was rough around the edges but we could all see the potential of the youngster, and at a price of a reported 33.5million he wasn't cheap and at that price you couldn't call him a gamble at that price you are looking for a successful player improving as the weeks roll on. So what has happened I'm not seeing that progression what I'm witnessing is a player who is going backwards who is showing no confidence, and I ask myself why? Is it because he was far too overrated, ultimately an overpriced gamble that isn't working out, or is he being badly coached and managed and the shackles or the not playing him to his strengths are slowly killing his belief and ability. The more I think about it the more I think we probably paid too much for him at where he was in his development, but more serious than that I believe Lampard and his coaching team aren't good enough to bring out his ability and strengths, which is very concerning because all but one of our last 6 managers have managed to bring players in for big money and reputations and completely destroy them with their lack of ability as managers, and unfortunately at this moment in time I can only see it going this way with Onana. 

Maybe it's because he is very young, only been in new country a few months, only played a dozen or so Premiership games.

It's a bit early to start ripping shreads off the boy for not dominating Premiership games for 90mins. 

We wanted raw, quality youth at club, but there is no point if we are not going to give them the time needed to develop. 

My issue with Onana is that he's one of the biggest culprits of the passiveness that's killing us at the moment. He doesn't do anything with intent and it means he's getting caught in possession in an extremely dangerous area - the centre of the park.

His best (and ours for that matter) performance came against Palace when he played deeper, so I'm not sure moving him up the pitch is going to get more out of him. I don't even think he has been playing further back since then anyway - against Wolves it felt like he and Gana were forward and it was Iwobi the deepest of the three.

I think he'll become a very good player in time but I don't think it's wrong to be pointing out that he's performing very poorly at the moment.

I feel like Onana has the potential to transition the team from defence to attack by taking the ball away from opposition defenders and driving forward. He has the ability to take people out of the game so I do think he should play deeper, but be needs to be able to get forward too. 

Physically he has everything to go to the top but he just needs to mature. A lot was said about his maturity and intelligence before he signed but he still has a long way to go on that score (understandably). 

Like Romey says there is just a passiveness about him both on and off the ball. Its not just him though, its the other two midfielders in different ways as well. They are a bit all over the place as a unit.

3 hours ago, RuffRob said:

Maybe it's because he is very young, only been in new country a few months, only played a dozen or so Premiership games.

It's a bit early to start ripping shreads off the boy for not dominating Premiership games for 90mins. 

We wanted raw, quality youth at club, but there is no point if we are not going to give them the time needed to develop. 

I'm not ripping him, I'm ripping the management they are miss managing him, he hasn't improved since his first few games where he stood out as someone with real potential, the longer he became in the clutches of Lampard and his coaches the more invisible he has become. 

there really is a lack of any sort of patience with new players and a new team trying to develop together. Progress is not going to be a steady always upward curve over a dozen or so games. 

There have been some improved performances and there have been some poor performances. What you hope to see is a steading increase in good performance and decrease in the poor performances. The nature of a rebuild it you are going to get more bad than good at the beginning. This is going to be both for individuals and team performances. 

The scary part is that the Premiership, now more than every, is very unforgiving to teams in a rebuild phase, especially when you are building off a very poor base. We just need to try and hold our nerve a bit, and not get panicked by a bad run of results and form.

I think we can all get the need for patience and time but you have to see something in a team to begin with to trust that something is actually being rebuilt and we aren't just trying to make another set of foundations out of the sloppy wet pile of shit that was next to the last one. 

You need to see the signs of progress and this team under Lampard hasn't shown that yet. An odd game here or there is as good as he has managed so far. 

He, his support staff, and the players deserve every bit of criticism they get when performances and results are as they are. They will all get patience and time, when they show that there is something in them worth believing in. 

This isn't a panic of a bad run or results or form, this is 12 months of it, since Lampard took over as manager.