IGNORED

Amadou Onana

11 hours ago, Shukes said:

I love the way he pulls the ball in. First touch is very good. 
All he is missing at the moment is decision making. That will improve every week. 

He also looks a goal threat.

Just needs to make up his mind about where his first touch is going to take him.  Right now he's getting in trouble for wants to decide once he already has the ball.  

2 minutes ago, RPG said:

He is certainly adapting well. In his debut the first thing he did when he received the ball was to try to let it run across his body to turn defence into attack. He lost possession and we conceded. Today, he did the same move but knew he had less time, protected the ball and the move worked. He has loads of energy and is a real box to box midfielder. Once he gets full match fitness and fully adapted to the Premier League we will have a real player on our hands. I would love to see Gueye tidying up behind him though.

He also did it once and gave up possession. It’ll just take time. Most of his first thoughts seemed to be to play it backwards and he wasn’t quite as available as you’d like in that role for me. As noted though, very early and overall he was solid given circumstances with a couple moments that stand out.

6 minutes ago, RPG said:

He is certainly adapting well. In his debut the first thing he did when he received the ball was to try to let it run across his body to turn defence into attack. He lost possession and we conceded. Today, he did the same move but knew he had less time, protected the ball and the move worked. 

That's a very good sign. Some players make the same mistakes over and over and don't learn (we have many of them to know this is true :lol:).

19 minutes ago, RPG said:

It was. The drive and energy on that run reminded me of a previous Everton Number 8 but I won't burden Onana by mentioning his name just yet.

He had a couple of those. Exciting to see. That was a subtle ball in to give Gray an opportunity. Great to have guys that can turn and run into that space. I dunno that we will get Kudus but he also looks excellent at that. There is a video asking if you should even press him.

On 24/08/2022 at 06:43, Shukes said:

I love the way he pulls the ball in. First touch is very good. 
All he is missing at the moment is decision making. That will improve every week. 

He also looks a goal threat.

First touch is so important without a good first touch you might as well hang your boots up, the quickness of mind is to know what you are going to do with the ball before you receive it, if you have the ability to combine those to aspects of the game you become untouchable, I’d love to think he can bring them together. 

2 hours ago, StevO said:

Showed his inexperience in every game so far, but also showing flashes of what he can do. The next few years we’ll see big things from him. 

Can we wait for the next few years, I think we need to see it in the very near future if we have any designs on staying up this season. 

3 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Which was hardly a yellow too, considering.

After the way timaskas went through gray from behind there was a lack of consistency. In a derby you’d expect them to just be a foul. Compare his challenge to VVD’s yellow and they are both opposite ends of the scale of what is a yellow.

"With his long legs and capacity to cover ground quickly, Onana helped Everton contain the threat of Harvey Elliott and Fabio Carvalho, winning more duels (11) and making more ball recoveries (eight) than anyone on the pitch, according to Squawka.

His stature represents a further defensive boost. He won the most defensive aerial duels (three) and made the most tackles (seven), but his distribution was also strong, with an 88 per cent pass accuracy. It was even more impressive for a player making only his third Premier League start against last season’s runners-up"

the stats back up what we saw with our own eyes.

I thought he was superb and I feel like this big, hectic games will bring the best out of him which is an unusual trait for such a young player.

He lost a bit of his own impact when he moved slightly further forward and Gueye came on but being on a booking probably didnt help him as he tired either. 

I can't wait to see how good he will be by the end of the season!