IGNORED

Amadou Onana

I think he's shown glimpses of what he can do, but I wouldn't even pick him out as having been one of our top 5 players in a pretty poor season.

Don't get me wrong, those glimpses have been very good and are cause for optimism (if we don't sell him this summer) but there have been more times when he's raising his arms to get the crowd going than anything he's done on the pitch.

12 hours ago, Matt Tiger said:

I sometimes feel like I’m watching different players than everyone else… the kid is 21 and is already winning midfield battles consistently in his first season in the league… does he have areas of weakness? Of course! But at his age he’s already fighting this relegation battle with everything he has and frequently overwhelms more established players with his size and athleticism. Maybe you can say he has too high an opinion of himself but to me he’s been massive for us.

Most fans don’t see what managers see. 
Our midfield controlled a top five team Monday night. 
The manager will see this as they look for what matters in the professional world. A lot of fans won’t get the give and go’s, or the recycling. 

But they will start appreciating once he relaxes a bit and begins to express himself.

I don't see him being world class with the technique he has. Even someone like Kante, who is known for his energy and defensive ability is technically sound and makes so many good decisions on the ball.

I also don't think he dominates midfield. Under Lampard we were getting run through left, right and centre, it is Dyche coming in and the combination of the 3 in midfield that has made our midfield much stronger.

I really don't see a midfielder of that type going for £100mil. I know Fernandez has recently but that is just Chelsea being idiots. Rodri went for ~£60mil and I think that will be his type of limit but he still has to improve a lot to get anywhere near that level.

9 hours ago, Bailey said:

I don't see him being world class with the technique he has. Even someone like Kante, who is known for his energy and defensive ability is technically sound and makes so many good decisions on the ball.

I also don't think he dominates midfield. Under Lampard we were getting run through left, right and centre, it is Dyche coming in and the combination of the 3 in midfield that has made our midfield much stronger.

I really don't see a midfielder of that type going for £100mil. I know Fernandez has recently but that is just Chelsea being idiots. Rodri went for ~£60mil and I think that will be his type of limit but he still has to improve a lot to get anywhere near that level.

He’s got a few areas he needs to polish up but at his age that’s more than expected. I’m saying that there’s a few things he is very good at. It’s his first season of proper first team football in the most competitive league - I think he has set a good benchmark and hope he continues to grow.

The team & Onana would benefit from the 3rd midfielder being able to use the ball more effectively. Gueye & Onana can win it back no issues but then need to either lay it off to someone (Garner hopefully) to pick passes or Onana to drive forward.

6 hours ago, StevO said:

The only issue I have with him is we don’t see this enough. If he could just run forward when he gets the ball, even just ten yards, we would win so many free kicks as he would just be fouled to stop him getting away. 

Completely agree mate, we’ve seen a couple this season (Villa & city i think?) but would love to see him do it more often.

3 hours ago, Bailey said:

He was the one that let McTominay just run off him but so many players could have stopped that first goal in the build up (including Onana). It was a real mess of a goal to concede.

It’s really hard to track a runner in that situation when you’re actually playing. It was just a cluster fuck and a great through ball in a tight area. 

On 09/04/2023 at 23:38, Btay said:

It’s really hard to track a runner in that situation when you’re actually playing. It was just a cluster fuck and a great through ball in a tight area. 

I massively disagree with that. The lad runs right in front of him and not even that quickly. He just has to stay tight but he switches off, gets caught ball watching and gives him a couple of yards.

He does the same (ball watching) earlier in the build up too, just before he fails with the (unnecessary) slide tackle. 

Its really poor defensive discipline.

3 hours ago, Bailey said:

I massively disagree with that. The lad runs right in front of him and not even that quickly. He just has to stay tight but he switches off, gets caught ball watching and gives him a couple of yards.

He does the same (ball watching) earlier in the build up too, just before he fails with the (unnecessary) slide tackle. 

Its really poor defensive discipline.

Yeah Match of the Day highlighted this whole sequence. He was also guilty of running lethargically back from midfield when the ball went out wide. 

• 1 month later...
18 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

No more crying for this fella to start please.

Contributed fuck all today and I'll be happy just to get our money back on him whatever league we're in.

Get him some pom poms so he can stand with Coady on the touchline because cheerleading is more his forte.

There’s been flashes of a top player but we’ve not seen them recently - very poor today. Thankfully, I think the highlight reel will bring us a healthy profit in the summer.

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/05/2023 at 21:23, c1982 said:

There’s been flashes of a top player but we’ve not seen them recently - very poor today. Thankfully, I think the highlight reel will bring us a healthy profit in the summer.

Same again yesterday, he was the main cause of anger around where I sit. I’d be happy to move him on if there’s profit and reinvest in a more consistent player which we need atm.

He could end up being a top player but if he has attracted reputed interest of circa £60m then we would be wise to use that money. 

Sulemana could be available for a reduced fee now, I would see if we could get Tyler Adams from Leeds. 

With him I feel it’s going to be more about what he wants than what we want, if some genuine offers come in for him from some big clubs I think he will want to go. He’s already outlined in interviews about his plans and ambitions for getting to the top as soon as possible, so there for I’m not sure that we can match that ambition if Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, and say Utd show commitment in him.