IGNORED

Sean Dyche

Hafnia

Dyche has done a great job given the circumstances & whilst I expect us to stay up this season even with the deductions (which is really a testimony to the job he has done) his use of the squad & selections can be puzzling at times.

Next season, ideally in the premier league with no outside distractions the expectations will be higher & we have to be competing for a solid 10th spot to really show some progression.

35 minutes ago, Btay said:

Next season, ideally in the premier league with no outside distractions the expectations will be higher & we have to be competing for a solid 10th spot to really show some progression.

How? We would still be in the mess with FSR and no money for transfers for another season or two. How exactly are we going to compete without proper signings? Teams contending for Top 10 are spending like crazy. The last time we spent anything was the Gordon money, and we wasted it on dogshit fucking Beto. Unless we sell Branthwaite we won't have funds to improve the team. How we are still in this league is beyond me. Considering all circumstances the job Dyche is doing is monumental.

8 hours ago, Haiku said:

How? We would still be in the mess with FSR and no money for transfers for another season or two. How exactly are we going to compete without proper signings? Teams contending for Top 10 are spending like crazy. The last time we spent anything was the Gordon money, and we wasted it on dogshit fucking Beto. Unless we sell Branthwaite we won't have funds to improve the team. How we are still in this league is beyond me. Considering all circumstances the job Dyche is doing is monumental.

Beto hasn't cost us a penny yet. He's £20m which is a few quid more than Maupay. 

wd could probably send him back for a small loss 

7 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

Beto was bought as a well and truly needed back up to DCL (we where all crying out for this). Where the better options than Beto, most likley for those who could afford it, but I am guessing not at the 'buy now, pay later' terms that we somehow managed to get (and needed) - I am guessing those types of deals are hard to come buy, so you have to take the best you can under the circumstances we are in. DCL has stayed fit (but frustratingly not scoring), so Beto has only been needed in parts. To be fair to any player coming to a new league and country, you need time both at the club and on the pitch to get anywhere near your best - so its a bit unfair to say money has been wasted on him just yet. 

Exactly. Myko also did his fair share of struggling his first season with us, and now he's one of the first names on the team sheet

He just needs to keep doing what he's doing. We've just emerged from a tough stretch of games, and all the cup distractions are in the past, so now we can focus on a sequence of games that are especially important. Things could look a lot better after playing Palace and Brighton. Sheffield United and Burnley look like certs for relegation, while Luton are playing well. Our sights must be firmly on Forest and Palace, which is why our next game is so crucial.

6 hours ago, Btay said:

Spending does not ensure success - how anyone here can still think it’s a certainty after what we have done is baffling.

How - we are currently joint 12th without the deduction. That has to be our mentality right now, that we are good enough to be competitive in this league. Next season, our young players will be better - Branthwaite, Onana, Myko & Garner mainly but also Patterson & McNeil. Very good defensive record in the league. There are positives to take in to the next season, we just need it to click up front and tidy up a few technical aspects. Progression is 100% there.

I mostly agree but Branthwaite and Onana won't be here next season. We probably won't be able to spend much replacing them so we'll have to be smart and hope Thelwell and Dyche can get the signings right.

18 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I mostly agree but Branthwaite and Onana won't be here next season. We probably won't be able to spend much replacing them so we'll have to be smart and hope Thelwell and Dyche can get the signings right.

Onana definitely will be gone, more because he will be pushing for a move. I’m thinking we will be able to keep hold of Branthwaite he has 4 more years on his contract and I believe he would be more than happy to see a couple of those years out. Plus our defence has been the one consistent part of the team all season, and his without doubt before the 10 point deduction and now kept us in games, it would be very dangerous and even foolish to let him go in the summer when we still haven’t sorted the front line out, we are going to need our best defensive line next season imo, so for those reasons I can’t see him being allowed to go. 

On 17/02/2024 at 09:32, Palfy said:

Onana definitely will be gone, more because he will be pushing for a move. I’m thinking we will be able to keep hold of Branthwaite he has 4 more years on his contract and I believe he would be more than happy to see a couple of those years out. Plus our defence has been the one consistent part of the team all season, and his without doubt before the 10 point deduction and now kept us in games, it would be very dangerous and even foolish to let him go in the summer when we still haven’t sorted the front line out, we are going to need our best defensive line next season imo, so for those reasons I can’t see him being allowed to go. 

Agree with this.

If we get a bit enough bid i'm sure we would let Branthwaite go and he would jump at the opportunity given the right side but I think we need to ensure that fee is set as high as possible as we really don't want to lose him.  Our centre back pairing is working brilliantly and Branthwaite's value I believe will only rise as his game continues to improve.

Onana if the speculation and comments from his sister are true would be happy to put himself out there to get a big move.  Can't blame him to be honest, if he makes the right move he will do very well.  He still has a lot to improve and needs to be getting plenty of game time wherever he goes.  We have to make sure again that we don't sell him short, if that many big name clubs are interested then they can battle for him and pay the price.

A lot will depend on the state of the transfer market. January was as flat as a witches tit.

We just have to hope we don't HAVE to sell this summer. I don't see inflated fees being paid left right and center this summer. 

Massive point sanctions will currently be putting fear in to clubs at the moment. 

This might be a good window for getting some bargains, as clubs having to offload players to get there booking in order, but other clubs not wanting to stretch their finances.

15 hours ago, RuffRob said:

A lot will depend on the state of the transfer market. January was as flat as a witches tit.

We just have to hope we don't HAVE to sell this summer. I don't see inflated fees being paid left right and center this summer. 

Massive point sanctions will currently be putting fear in to clubs at the moment. 

This might be a good window for getting some bargains, as clubs having to offload players to get there booking in order, but other clubs not wanting to stretch their finances.

On the other hand though if we need to sell to comply with FFP we will struggle to get a big fee from a premier league team for the likes of Onana or Branthwaite as they all seem quite cautious about spending. I can see FFP crippling certain teams & causing them to sell prize assets below their value - no guesses as to which teams will be picking up those assets though. 

Just now, Btay said:

On the other hand though if we need to sell to comply with FFP we will struggle to get a big fee from a premier league team for the likes of Onana or Branthwaite as they all seem quite cautious about spending. I can see FFP crippling certain teams & causing them to sell prize assets below their value - no guesses as to which teams will be picking up those assets though. 

thats my point, a flat market will not help us if we HAVE to sell this summer. I don't see massive fees paid at all, as there will be plenty of selling clubs and not so many buying clubs (at least not at the premium prices we have seen the past few years).  I can see Chelsea as a club this might effect massivley. I feel clubs might only get 60 to 70p on the £1 this summer.   

I don't actually mean us getting any bargains - as see us having fuck all money to spend this summer. I can see the likes of Spurs doing well this window.

Lets hope our players don't rock the boat to much and try to push to get a transfer this summer.

4 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

It’s FFP/PSR doing exactly what it’s designed to do. 14 clubs having to sell their best players on the cheap to keep compliant and the other 6 clubs at the top cherry picking players they want to stockpile 

It makes sure all teams keep in their lane and ensures the Sky 6 continue to get richer and richer on the back of reward payments and Sky money

The only true way to make an even playing field is to have price caps on fees and wages, which has to be agreed by all football governing bodies worldwide. 

These are the the players brought in by Dyche, Beto, Chimitti, Young, bought, Harrison, and Danjuma on loan. Of these 5 players which ones have impressed you, which ones have improved the team, and which ones are better than the players already in their positions. 
For me only one player fits all Harrison when playing on the right wing, also I believe Danjuma on the left has the potential to be better than what we have, but injuries and lack of opportunities have held him back, yet when he has played he’s very positive in what he’s trying to do. 
Beto hasn’t shown that he’s good enough for this league, he hasn’t been able to impress and isn’t able to replace a very underperforming DCL. 
Chimitti we be unfair to judge he’s hardly had any minutes to impress, and was meant to be a player to improve for the future, my only concern is that 15.5 million is a fair bit of money on what essentially is a big gamble. 
Young simply not good enough at this level anymore, a liability at right or left back, and well below the level of Harrison on the right wing, to be honest I struggle to understand why Dyche still plays him. 

6 hours ago, Palfy said:

These are the the players brought in by Dyche, Beto, Chimitti, Young, bought, Harrison, and Danjuma on loan. Of these 5 players which ones have impressed you, which ones have improved the team, and which ones are better than the players already in their positions. 
For me only one player fits all Harrison when playing on the right wing, also I believe Danjuma on the left has the potential to be better than what we have, but injuries and lack of opportunities have held him back, yet when he has played he’s very positive in what he’s trying to do. 
Beto hasn’t shown that he’s good enough for this league, he hasn’t been able to impress and isn’t able to replace a very underperforming DCL. 
Chimitti we be unfair to judge he’s hardly had any minutes to impress, and was meant to be a player to improve for the future, my only concern is that 15.5 million is a fair bit of money on what essentially is a big gamble. 
Young simply not good enough at this level anymore, a liability at right or left back, and well below the level of Harrison on the right wing, to be honest I struggle to understand why Dyche still plays him. 

Not sure where you are going with this, it’s like tying someone’s hands behind their back then criticising them for not being able to throw a punch

37 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Not sure where you are going with this, it’s like tying someone’s hands behind their back then criticising them for not being able to throw a punch

Quite simple really of the players brought in under Dyche’s tenure to date, who has or hasn’t impressed you and if you want to add why or why not you can, no hidden agenda. You go to the games so you could make a good judgement as to how many of the 5 have impressed you or disappointed you.
Not sure how or why you have come to the conclusion that I have tied anyone’s hands behind their backs.

6 hours ago, Btay said:

I believe Thelwell is also responsible for signings - more so than Dyche, so i think it is pretty unfair to criticise Dyche for transfers.

In saying that, I agree with your summary of the players. Dyche, in my opinion has not rotated enough & seems to play certain players (favourites perhaps) through bad form. Beto & Danjuma should have seen more minutes, in Beto's case in particular he will need time to adjust to the league. Chermiti is a prospect who will hopefully develop into our strating striker in a few years & the Portuguese league is fairly happy hunting ground for Thelwell.

Young on the other hand really has not shown enough at any point this season to justify a starting spot, I have no doubts if it was a young (excuse the pun) player he would have been dropped but Dyche seems to hold on to experience over performance. This would be my biggest critic of Dyche at the moment. 

Your right Thelwell would have had a big part to play in the recruitment of the players, but my post wasn’t a criticism of Dyche for bringing the players in, it was merely to gauge how people felt with players brought in good or bad, but if no one has an opinion then that’s fair enough. 
But let’s not think I was in anyway criticising the management for bringing them, just wanted to know how people felt about their performances good or bad and if they felt they have improved the team. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Quite simple really of the players brought in under Dyche’s tenure to date, who has or hasn’t impressed you and if you want to add why or why not you can, no hidden agenda. You go to the games so you could make a good judgement as to how many of the 5 have impressed you or disappointed you.
Not sure how or why you have come to the conclusion that I have tied anyone’s hands behind their backs.

It’s not you that Dunc is suggesting tied Dyche’s hands. 

Just now, StevO said:

It’s not you that Dunc is suggesting tied Dyche’s hands. 

Right with you, maybe I could have posted this in another thread, but used this thread because they are the first 5 signings under Dyche and was curious has to how people felt they have performed.  
Never mind you can’t please all the people all the time when trying to get people to engage in debate. 
Unfortunately most Evertonian’s are miserable fuckers who believe everyone and everything is against them, and to be fair to us we wear it well like a badge of honour 😄👍

Ok here’s my take so far from seeing every home game bar Spurs this season

Beto, rough around the edges, not a like for like with DCL, needs to learn how to hold the ball up and bring others into play, can’t fault his enthusiasm.

Chimitti, or Chermiti, not seen enough on him as expected, not sure why we paid the money on him when we have Dobbin and had Simms and Cannon, Cannon seemed the more likely to succeed.

Young, bought as cover, not happy he’s played so much, hasn’t brought the experience he should have shown, if anything he’s like a headless chicken

Harrison, my bright hope, blows hot and cold, I do like his pressing and energy, would like to see him replicate his first season with Leeds in the PL goal wise, his assists are OK

Danjuma shows potential but doesn’t know how to be a team player, needs to get his head up and find others in better positions.

11 hours ago, Palfy said:

Beto: I think he has more than being credited for. Very rough around the edges. Like DCL, is left fighting for scraps with crosses and passes that go all over in the final 3rd. I like him.

Chimitti: Absolutely no idea.

Harrison: He's done good. On a shite run in line with the team just now. But isn't he up at the top 3 or so for goals and assists? He's certainly chipped in his worth.

Danjuma: Looks a threat. The problem is he's a greedy selfish cunt. I wouldn't play him.

Young: Thought he was a good signing to fill in. Problem is he's filled in too often and in positions he looks awful and has let us down. Defo Weakened Dyches credibility.

I think the signings we've made are reflective of the market we're in. We'll have to get used to it I'm afraid.

15 hours ago, Palfy said:

Right with you, maybe I could have posted this in another thread, but used this thread because they are the first 5 signings under Dyche and was curious has to how people felt they have performed.  
Never mind you can’t please all the people all the time when trying to get people to engage in debate. 
Unfortunately most Evertonian’s are miserable fuckers who believe everyone and everything is against them, and to be fair to us we wear it well like a badge of honour 😄👍

Fair enough, I read it as you having a pop at Dyche for the standard of player he was signing

Steveo is correct I wasn’t implying that you had tied anyone hands behind their back. However PSR most definitely has

We can only look at loans and fee transfers or get very creative with the deals, which in the cases of Chermiti and Beto we have. So if you’re going to assess his signings then you also have to take into consideration the context and conditions we are having to operate under

But for my two pennies worth I think Beto is 100% an upgrade on Maupay even if he is not necessarily be a better player . Maupay has none of the attributes required to play as a loan striker so was totally ineffective. Beto, as rough a diamond as he is, has all the physical attributes to do it and for all of his faults still carries a goal threat and occupies defenders. Obviously I would have preferred us to go out and get someone like Gyokeres but Coventry wanted a big fee up front so it was never a deal we could afford. IMO Thelwell pulled off a blinder getting Beto on Klarna, I’ve never known anyone get a player on a play now pay later deal before

Chermiti I’ve only seen a few cameos and the odd U21 game so difficult to judge but from what little I’ve seen I think I preferred Tom Cannon and Ellis Simms but I think these were deals enforced by PSR. We got decent fees in for both Simms & Cannon which goes down as 100% profit whereas Chermiti was again bought on Klarna and even when we do start paying it will be spread over the term of his contract so helps balance the books

Young was a decent pro who is very versatile so offers cover in several positions and who played really well in the last 12 months of his contact , I know a few Villa fans and they were all gutted to see him go, so was definitely worth the gamble on a free. Fair enough it hasn’t really worked out but as I say he was worth the punt on a 12 month deal 

Harrison I’m really happy with, although I know some don’t rate him. I think he is a huge upgrade on Demari Gray and to get him for free is a great deal

Danjumu is the one I’m most disappointed in. But again it’s only a 12 month loan for a modest fee. I don’t think he has really been given a chance yet and how much of that is down to the 10 points deduction?

If we were sat comfortably in mid table would Dyche be more inclined to take the shackles off and be less defensive ?

All in all despite the ridiculously tough circumstances I think Dyche/Thelwell have done remarkably well with transfers and the squad looks a lot more balanced and competitive

@duncanmckenzieismagic

You've made a very valid point there regards Dyche and the shackles.

Remember, we were playing quote open and fairly good football before the deduction. We had to rallied to get those points on the board.

With a lot of effort, we only managed to get on an even standing with the bottom teams.

Now we're cautiously trying to pick up points.

It's a really tough predicament to be in.