IGNORED

Sean Dyche

Hafnia

33 minutes ago, Matt said:

I could only get the radio and BBC texts. 77% possession, the plan was clear enough :)

Yeah understandable. Just the way we worked it forward as soon as we won it -  All our players moved like clockwork and it was clear they had instructions and followed them to a tee

In a lot of ways I hope Dyche as learned a good lesson with this win, which is he needs to trust more in his squad a lot more. Patterson has proven he’s more than capable of taking over the right back position, even though Dyche disagreed and persisted with Holgate and Godfrey which proved to be calamitous. Then we went through some poor defensive performance from Keane, with Dyche believing Mina and Coady weren’t good enough replacements for a poor Keane, and Mina proved that to wrong. 

I was wavering a bit about Dyche but yesterday was sensational - the best we have played in years. What he has done with McNeil is unbelievable. Doucoure, too. If he can get the players to play like that more regularly, we'll be having conversations about Europe - and not just where we're going on holiday.   

42 minutes ago, Formby said:

I was wavering a bit about Dyche but yesterday was sensational - the best we have played in years. What he has done with McNeil is unbelievable. Doucoure, too. If he can get the players to play like that more regularly, we'll be having conversations about Europe - and not just where we're going on holiday.   

Which is why I've kept faith, he and the squad are so much better than our position and performances say. 

57 minutes ago, Matt said:

Which is why I've kept faith, he and the squad are so much better than our position and performances say. 

I always admire a man of faith!! But I shall remain agnostic on this one until further evidence comes in. Give me a win against City and things may change! 🙂

1 hour ago, Matt said:

In fairness almost from day one, he has said there are good players here. He's now finding the right combinations.

32 minutes ago, Shukes said:

It’s almost like a manager needs time to sort through his players strengths and weaknesses. 
We saw glimpses against Leicester, and away at Brighton we beat them by doing exactly what teams usually do to us.

What the fuck are you talking about? That's nonsense.

I think, like every human being, every manager has his weaknesses. For some reason, we expect them to have none.

Shit went downhill for us when we suddenly found ourselves without Onana, Doucs, DCL, Coleman...and it revealed how weak our squad is.

Yeah, you could say Dyche has been a bit blind picking Keane. But let's be honest, we've not been blown away by Coady, Mina, Holgate or Godfrey. All of them have got shit in them.

All of them haven't yet shown they can string a couple of decent games together without fucking up. Maybe in such a situation he turns to Keane who he just feels he can trust a bit more as he knows more about him.

With Patterson at right back. Again, no ones been blown away by him however he has had a couple of nasty injuries. We've seen how careful Dyche has been with DCL, maybe it was the same with Patterson? Hence Godfrey and Holgate being tried ahead of him while Coleman was out.

At the same time, some performances have been pathetic and not what we'd expect from a Dyche team.

As has been touched on, he's been on a learning curve with the characters of these players. Not one of these players is of his picking. But he's given more than fair chances to enough of them.

The thing now is that he has set the bar for performances these last 2 games. Its up to him to keep those standards high.

I personally like him and how he approaches things. But I'm open minded too about the overall picture.

4 minutes ago, Newty82 said:

We've seen how careful Dyche has been with DCL, maybe it was the same with Patterson?

It wasn’t that way with Patterson, Dyche wasn’t impressed with Patterson and said he felt he wasn’t at the standard required at this moment in time. In my opinion I think Dyche made a mistake not Picking Patterson before Holgate and Godfrey and said so soon as the team was posted showing Holgate as RB. I believe Dyche made his decision on Patterson based on his physicality and age.  

Patterson player well enough against BHA, but equally he has had some recent prior poor performances that could quite easily been have considered 'as not being the standard required'. So he has gone with Godfrey and then Holgate - these players have not grabbed the opportunities and equally shown they are not the standard required. 

Colemans original injury was not a season ender - just a stop gap game or two. So perhaps its different thinking when originally you are only planning on bring in personnel in place of Coleman for a game or two. Maybe you go for physicality and premiership experience over in the types of games we are currently playing, rather than trying to allow your young inexperience RB to find his feet.

Hindsight is great when both Godfrey and Holgate both put in poor performances as you may as well have let Patterson be on the pitch. You do also need to be careful when you throw youngsters in to the mix ahead of senior players. A bad performance or two could wreak a young lads confidence. 

Jury is still out on Dyche because coming in to the situation he has is not ideal for building a team or blooding young players. How this team and club was at the end of the January transfer window I had us nailed on to go down, especially with no DCL - no matter who the manager was.

However, we are still well in this fight with 3 games to go and in the main the players have shown significantly better fight when they go on the pitch, and are now off their best result of the season.

He was never going to improve the overall general 'quality' of the playing staff in a couple of months, but their attitudes have improved, and two or three players form has improved dramatically. He also seems to have done the right thing with DCL - that has showed some real patience and understanding.    

Dyche has shown enough to me that he should be given a chance with a proper pre season and a transfer window or two.

8 hours ago, Palfy said:

It wasn’t that way with Patterson, Dyche wasn’t impressed with Patterson and said he felt he wasn’t at the standard required at this moment in time. In my opinion I think Dyche made a mistake not Picking Patterson before Holgate and Godfrey and said so soon as the team was posted showing Holgate as RB. I believe Dyche made his decision on Patterson based on his physicality and age.  

He didn't say he wasn't impressed with him, he spoke about him and Garner and said...

“He’ll (Garner) grow and learn as time goes on,” Dyche stated.

“Obviously at the minute it’s going to be a fast-track learning but there are a few players out there.

“Patto is a young player still, you forget that, they’re developing players, they’re not rounded Premier League bona fide players, they’ve got to develop and learn about that.

“Again, these are tough times for them to learn through but that’s the challenge.”

Then said after the Leicester game...

I kind of agree though that from our experience of Holgate and Godfrey, it maybe could have been better to put Patty in. But, again, how do we know what's going on other than to assume and let bias lead our thoughts?

I mean, obviously you wouldn't let bias lead your thoughts. No way. Not a chance 😉😂.

10 hours ago, Palfy said:

My concern as I highlighted last week is that he was quick to react to take Coady out but slow to take Keane out.   The ridiculous toying with centre halves at film back has cost us points. 

im relieved that the last game concluded with him finding out what most of us knew and could see.  

1 hour ago, Newty82 said:

He didn't say he wasn't impressed with him, he spoke about him and Garner and said...

“Obviously at the minute it’s going to be a fast-track learning but there are a few players out there.

“Patto is a young player still, you forget that, they’re developing players, they’re not rounded Premier League bona fide players, they’ve got to develop and learn about that.

“Again, these are tough times for them to learn through but that’s the challenge.”

I kind of agree though that from our experience of Holgate and Godfrey, it maybe could have been better to put Patty in. But, again, how do we know what's going on other than to assume and let bias lead our thoughts?

I mean, obviously you wouldn't let bias lead your thoughts. No way. Not a chance 😉😂.

If a 16 year old kid played like Godfrey and Keane you would take them out saying they aren’t ready.   Patterson learns on the job, shows great intelligence. 

15 hours ago, Newty82 said:

I think, like every human being, every manager has his weaknesses. For some reason, we expect them to have none.

Shit went downhill for us when we suddenly found ourselves without Onana, Doucs, DCL, Coleman...and it revealed how weak our squad is.

Yeah, you could say Dyche has been a bit blind picking Keane. But let's be honest, we've not been blown away by Coady, Mina, Holgate or Godfrey. All of them have got shit in them.

All of them haven't yet shown they can string a couple of decent games together without fucking up. Maybe in such a situation he turns to Keane who he just feels he can trust a bit more as he knows more about him.

With Patterson at right back. Again, no ones been blown away by him however he has had a couple of nasty injuries. We've seen how careful Dyche has been with DCL, maybe it was the same with Patterson? Hence Godfrey and Holgate being tried ahead of him while Coleman was out.

At the same time, some performances have been pathetic and not what we'd expect from a Dyche team.

As has been touched on, he's been on a learning curve with the characters of these players. Not one of these players is of his picking. But he's given more than fair chances to enough of them.

The thing now is that he has set the bar for performances these last 2 games. Its up to him to keep those standards high.

I personally like him and how he approaches things. But I'm open minded too about the overall picture.

Open minded!? This is an Everton forum Newts, what the hell are you talking about!

15 hours ago, Palfy said:

Lets not forget that Patterson got roasted in that first half hour and then went on to do really well. He was beaten more times in that period than Godfrey has been in his game, but Godfrey's fuck-ups led to goals.

I loved the way Patterson grew into the game and worked out Mitoma and adapted (with help) but lets not forget it could have gone a very different way.

4 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

For anyone thinking Dyche's tactics were just to counter-attack.

One of the things that impressed me about his set up for the game was to not go chasing the Brighton players. I mentioned it before the game but you so often see Dunk and Webster drawing teams out, creating space in midfield before firing passes into the front players. They went wide to try and get around it but as the article says, we loaded up the box and got bodies in the way. With the early goal it worked perfectly.

Is everyone forgetting how piss poor Paterson was before he got injured? There is probably never a perfect time for a player to get an injury but that has to be close to it

For as good as his performance was at Brighton his performance against the same opposition at Goodison was shocking

I like the lad and think he will turn out to be a very good signing for us but he definitely needed time out of the side

11 hours ago, Newty82 said:

😂 biased who me never 👎 poetic license is my thing embellish on what was said to make it more interesting 😂

No matter what words he used he was not picking Patterson because he didn’t think he was ready or better than Holgate or Godfrey as the RB to cover for Coleman. No one’s exempt from critique not even Dyche, and I think he was wrong in both those games, and the performance away at Brighton as a team bore that out, maybe if he made the 2 changes in defence for the Leicester game we might not of conceded the 2 goals we did and won that game as well. And that doesn’t come from any form bias or hindsight 😂

1 hour ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Is everyone forgetting how piss poor Paterson was before he got injured? There is probably never a perfect time for a player to get an injury but that has to be close to it

For as good as his performance was at Brighton his performance against the same opposition at Goodison was shocking

I like the lad and think he will turn out to be a very good signing for us but he definitely needed time out of the side, and Holgate and Godfrey were better options 🙈🙊

2 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

We can take advantage of potentially tired legs at Brighton because they have no depth of squad to swap out those legs with quality. City, on the other hand, is a different story altogether. Dyche will need a different game plan against them, including setting someone to be an absolute bulldog against Haaland. Either that will work, or we could see a red card (especially if that bulldog is Mina). The game will be won or lost, though, in midfield, which is a tough ask. Gueye, Garner, and Doucoure: the City game is in your hands.

17 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

We can take advantage of potentially tired legs at Brighton because they have no depth of squad to swap out those legs with quality. City, on the other hand, is a different story altogether. Dyche will need a different game plan against them, including setting someone to be an absolute bulldog against Haaland. Either that will work, or we could see a red card (especially if that bulldog is Mina). The game will be won or lost, though, in midfield, which is a tough ask. Gueye, Garner, and Doucoure: the City game is in your hands.

Mina marking Haaland and being a bulldog...

Baaahahahahahhahahaahahaaaa :rofl:

On 09/05/2023 at 08:00, Formby said:

Good lord, can we just avoid relegation first :) this is far from over. Let’s revisit on May 28.