IGNORED

Longest Thread! for Everton Discussion

Zoo

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

It’s true he won a lot of games, but they didn’t enjoy it.’

It's a job, the results come first. I'd rather the players won than enjoyed themselves, their getting paid enough. You think man u players enjoyed every match when they dominated? No chance, but I bet they enjoyed picking up the trophy the end of every season. 

He won ten games out of twenty-six, I wouldn't describe that as "a lot". Lower win rate (35.8%) than Martínez (42.9%), Koeman (41.4%) & Silva (41.7%) as well. 

56 minutes ago, MikeO said:

He won ten games out of twenty-six, I wouldn't describe that as "a lot". Lower win rate (35.8%) than Martínez (42.9%), Koeman (41.4%) & Silva (41.7%) as well. 

And the big difference for me is that I walk up to the ground thinking we will win today, never once had that with he who I can't speak of

2 hours ago, pete0 said:

It's a job, the results come first. I'd rather the players won than enjoyed themselves, their getting paid enough. You think man u players enjoyed every match when they dominated? No chance, but I bet they enjoyed picking up the trophy the end of every season. 

A lot? And you want him back 😳

14 minutes ago, Shukes said:

A lot? And you want him back 😳

That was Mirallas' words not mine. 

I'd nearly have any manager over Silva. I doubt any fan would argue Alladyce would have the same or less points than what Silva does for us. He also would have addressed the defensive frailties and weak mentality. 

32 minutes ago, pete0 said:

That was Mirallas' words not mine. 

I'd nearly have any manager over Silva. I doubt any fan would argue Alladyce would have the same or less points than what Silva does for us. He also would have addressed the defensive frailties and weak mentality. 

Really? Because Arsenal fucking walloped us 5-1 and we looked defensively very frail and extremely weak mentally. 

I will never understand how you can be a backer of him but it’s the reality. However, don’t rewrite history. We did not look solid defensively under him at all and the attacking side of our game was non-existent. 

Edit - and he was someone that threw our players under the bus at every opportunity and never took any responsibility for our shitness. Something that you dislike about Silva immensely but for some reason you don’t hold that against gravy tits. 

12 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Really? Because Arsenal fucking walloped us 5-1 and we looked defensively very frail and extremely weak mentally. 

I will never understand how you can be a backer of him but it’s the reality. However, don’t rewrite history. We did not look solid defensively under him at all and the attacking side of our game was non-existent. 

Edit - and he was someone that threw our players under the bus at every opportunity and never took any responsibility for our shitness. Something that you dislike about Silva immensely but for some reason you don’t hold that against gravy tits. 

Wasn't his squad. It was an absolute mess. Imagine how bad it would've been had Silva took over. 

4 hours ago, pete0 said:

But Big Sam hasn't won any trophies!

18 minutes ago, pete0 said:

You think he would have done a worse job than Silva? 

Without a doubt. Like I pointed out above Silva, despite the position we find ourselves in, has a better win ratio than he did in his time in charge by nearly 6%. What makes you think he'd suddenly turn that around?

14 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Without a doubt. Like I pointed out above Silva, despite the position we find ourselves in, has a better win ratio than he did in his time in charge by nearly 6%. What makes you think he'd suddenly turn that around?

This current season it's 25% and we're in the relegation zone.

Silva's only achievement here is setting the record for most set piece goals conceded in the prem per game (think he holds all top 3 spots), and giving us only our second defeat from a 2 nil lead which had only happened once before in 364 games. Whereas Alladyce managed to keep Sunderland up, something our former manager couldn't do. Alladyce also got us 8th with our most unbalanced squad yet Silva with Digne (Martina), Zouma (Williams/Jags), Richarlison (Bolasie), Gomes (Schneiderlin) added only managed the same position. Bare in mind the quality was lower in Silva's year if you look at the points the top 6 accumulated from the rest too. Easier year, half the team players upgraded, and overall a stronger more balanced squad and he failed us. Given Alladyce managed 8th with the unbalanced team it's only logical he'd have done better with the more balanced and more talented squad. 

12 hours ago, MikeO said:

Too early in the morning for mathematics for me, but what would have been Silvas win ratio before this season?

12 hours ago, pete0 said:

Given Alladyce managed 8th with the unbalanced team it's only logical he'd have done better with the more balanced and more talented squad. 

But he wouldn’t have signed these players, so we don’t know what the squad would have looked like. The only logic for me is that he’s never took a big club far in the premier league, so I don’t think he had it in him to do so now. Even when he talks on the radio every week, he doesn’t talk about attacking or winning games, he just talks about being solid, winning headers and these kind of things. Now they are all important parts of the game, but there needs to be more. There needs to be some entertainment and the fans needs to enjoy going to watch the team. None of that was possible for him at Everton. He was loved at Bolton, but a 1-0 win against the run of play was a bonus for them, for us we actually want to challenge and be successful and win the odd trophy if we can. He’s never ever done that in his career, he wasn’t going to start doing it in his last job. 

6 hours ago, StevO said:

But he wouldn’t have signed these players, so we don’t know what the squad would have looked like. The only logic for me is that he’s never took a big club far in the premier league, so I don’t think he had it in him to do so now. Even when he talks on the radio every week, he doesn’t talk about attacking or winning games, he just talks about being solid, winning headers and these kind of things. Now they are all important parts of the game, but there needs to be more. There needs to be some entertainment and the fans needs to enjoy going to watch the team. None of that was possible for him at Everton. He was loved at Bolton, but a 1-0 win against the run of play was a bonus for them, for us we actually want to challenge and be successful and win the odd trophy if we can. He’s never ever done that in his career, he wasn’t going to start doing it in his last job. 

It's not good job to sign players. He can recommend to Brands, but ultimately the managers role is to ask for a player who can do x, y and z and it's the DOFs to find that player. No doubt in my mind Allardyce would have brought in an experienced centre half, whereas Silva just wanted another winger! 

As for signings wise he brought anelka to Bolton! Closest we've had to that talent is an injury plagued Saha.

25 minutes ago, pete0 said:

It's not good job to sign players. He can recommend to Brands, but ultimately the managers role is to ask for a player who can do x, y and z and it's the DOFs to find that player. No doubt in my mind Allardyce would have brought in an experienced centre half, whereas Silva just wanted another winger! 

As for signings wise he brought anelka to Bolton! Closest we've had to that talent is an injury plagued Saha.

You’re confusing a DoF with a Head Scout. Moshiri did the same appointing Walsh. 

Just reading an article on the Echo which says that we've conceded the least amount of shots in the PL whilst defending corners.

To put it into context of the 39 corners we have faced, we've conceded 9 shots - compared to the likes of Aston Villa (31 shots conceded) and Arsenal (29 shots concded).

Food for thought.

19 hours ago, pete0 said:

You really don’t think Silva wanted a centre half?

one signing 20 years ago being the example, is just not enough! His career will always show he was limited. 

15 hours ago, Aidan said:

Just reading an article on the Echo which says that we've conceded the least amount of shots in the PL whilst defending corners.

To put it into context of the 39 corners we have faced, we've conceded 9 shots - compared to the likes of Aston Villa (31 shots conceded) and Arsenal (29 shots concded).

Food for thought.

That's a surprise?

Do you know if that is directly from the corner or includes 2nd/3rd balls? A lot of our problems come from the man at the back post heading back into the area for someone else to score, a bit like the chance we gave away today.

42 minutes ago, Bailey said:

That's a surprise?

Do you know if that is directly from the corner or includes 2nd/3rd balls? A lot of our problems come from the man at the back post heading back into the area for someone else to score, a bit like the chance we gave away today.

I think a lot of our problems come from schoolboy errors. I would love to see that stat if it existed. 

On 18/10/2019 at 00:13, pete0 said:

This current season it's 25% and we're in the relegation zone.

And now it's 33% [win rate] and we're four points off 6th, things change quickly after so few games, 'specially in such weird season for everyone results wise.

I'm honest enough to admit I said, "enough" after the Burnley game but the man's bought himself more time after today.

3 hours ago, plaidharper said:

There! Fixed it for you.

You mean like Gary Cahill? I'd have been made up with him instead of the pedalo Keane. 

38 minutes ago, MikeO said:

And now it's 33% [win rate] and we're four points off 6th, things change quickly after so few games, 'specially in such weird season for everyone results wise.

I'm honest enough to admit I said, "enough" after the Burnley game but the man's bought himself more time after today.

You mean now he's dropped Sigurdssen for Davies, something I said a year ago. Great manager... If he'd done it before we were in the relegation zone. 

• 2 weeks later...