Sign in to follow this  
Cisk

Carlo Ancelotti

4 hours ago, Elston Gunnn said:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/everton/story/4015072/carlo-ancelotti-wants-transfer-assurances-before-agreeing-everton-deal-sources

This article says a key factor for Ancelotti is assurances about monies for “upcoming transfer windows.”  That surely means January and then summer.  If he’s asking whether Moshiri and Kenwright are really committed to “building a winning project,” that must mean he thinks very few of our current squad can get us to top 4-6.  Richarlison, Digne?  Gomes???  Anyone else?  Over the next two seasons, would Everton field a totally different squad?

ESPN don't know their asshole from their elbow in terms of European football.  It's purely a regurgitation article so they can put something online.  That said, hardly a surprise that an incoming manager of any decent caliber would want to know they can fix our imbalanced squad.

The team does need to be overhauled. Most of the signings made since Moshiri came have been hit n miss at best. Can you say that Keane or Mina would have displaced a prime Phil Jagielka? Even Digne would have a hard time displacing a prime Leighton Baines. Sigurdsson vs Arteta?

We've spent a lot of money on players and not many of them have justified their price tag, some of them have been utter flops. Any new manager will want to rectify that as quickly as possible and so will demand assurances that there is money to spend each window.

Moshiri has to own these mistakes, ultimately he appoints the managers and directors who recommend these players. He needs to accept he will make losses on many of them as they are moved on to make way for players of the correct calibre.

Looking straight at Napoli I can see Milik, Lozano and Koulibaly who I would want straight away so hopefully he has some sway in getting them here.

No more Fabien Delphs who can't stay fit, no more hopeful punts on Sandro Ramirez

3 hours ago, plaidharper said:

Rumored he was in on the meeting to help bring Carlo to Everton. Many Arsenal fans wanted Kroenke out and Usmsnov in before Alisher sold up (ie Stan was never gunna give up power).  Arsenal fans love a melt down surrounding what ifs.

I know all that but it’s no shock as he’s mates with Moshiri and is part of USM. Arsenal don’t seem (on the face of it) to want Ancelotti at all so Usmanov’s input has had no effect on Arsenal. 

5 hours ago, Palfy said:

If Ancelotti does come in for the Arsenal game, I will always wonder how far Ferguson could have gone before he suffered his first loss in the league, and if he was able to reverse it in the next game. 

If this happens I’m glad we’ll never find out. That way he can hold his head high and his status is left untainted. There’s always the new manager effect and it always wears off. 

1 hour ago, barryj said:

If this happens I’m glad we’ll never find out. That way he can hold his grad high and his status is left untainted. There’s always the new manager effect and it always wears off. 

Good point never thought of it that way. 

51 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Nobody think it's a bit strange that Ferguson will be assistant manager under Ancelotti (if true)? He's likely never met the man and has no idea how he works. 

Ancelotti has a history of working with a variety of different assistants (Paul Clement was with him for a while.  At Bayern Hermann Gerland, part of the club's infrastructure, stayed on as an assistant.)  He's not a far Sam who brings in and will only work with his own old boys club.  Speculating here, but I suspect the brass might be thinking Duncan is in line to be next and a few years in a proper assistant's role under Carlo might be the perfect internship. 

15 minutes ago, chicagoblue said:

Ancelotti has a history of working with a variety of different assistants (Paul Clement was with him for a while.  At Bayern Hermann Gerland, part of the club's infrastructure, stayed on as an assistant.)  He's not a far Sam who brings in and will only work with his own old boys club.  Speculating here, but I suspect the brass might be thinking Duncan is in line to be next and a few years in a proper assistant's role under Carlo might be the perfect internship. 

Cheers for the info mate 

9 hours ago, Hafnia said:

If we get Ancellotti. My immediate thoughts are that he will raise the profile of the club in terms of transfers and also demand the respect of players. 

His cv demands respect, he's not a divisive character and he has worked with some of the very best in the game.

Example, Jordan pickford decides to question the manager when criticised for not coming out for a ball? Yeah well this bloke managed Buffon, Cassillas, Cech....  shut up and listen.

If we go for a player that is targetted by top 4, then we become a viable option due to the fact that we have attracted an elite manager who believes in the project. 

The more I think about it the more i want it.  Yes he maybe less driven nowadays maybe, but this is a new type of challenge for him.  Not targetted with winning a trophybas such but getting us to a place where we can arguably challenge for one. 

Love this!!

I know I'm going to get put in the bracket of never being happy with anything but I tend to agree with Dominic King here. I'm excited but also questioning if he is really the right fit for everton. No doubt he's a world beater, but does the shoe really fit? 

2 hours ago, Aidan said:

I know I'm going to get put in the bracket of never being happy with anything but I tend to agree with Dominic King here. I'm excited but also questioning if he is really the right fit for everton. No doubt he's a world beater, but does the shoe really fit? 

We won't know until we try, but it will help attract better players out there. I think he's the best that's available right now. 

4 hours ago, Aidan said:

here's where i stand on it.  if we can't get back to top 7 and european football with ancelotti then we just aren't a club meant to play technical attractive football.  hire back a moyes/dyche type and try and do the best we can with hard work and determination.  we've tried martinez koeman silva hopefully ancelotti, if we can't do the pretty thing, then fuck it, hire big dunc and punt and run and blood and guts for 90 minutes.  

If Ancelotti does rock up the idea of Dunc being his assistant is one that appeals to me, with Ancelotti when in possession we will have the good football with guile and creative play, and with Dunc we will still have the desire graft and passion for the shirt. 
They are chalk and cheese when it comes to style, but if they offer each other what the other may lack, this partnership could really work. 

6 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

here's where i stand on it.  if we can't get back to top 7 and european football with ancelotti then we just aren't a club meant to play technical attractive football.  hire back a moyes/dyche type and try and do the best we can with hard work and determination.  we've tried martinez koeman silva hopefully ancelotti, if we can't do the pretty thing, then fuck it, hire big dunc and punt and run and blood and guts for 90 minutes.  

If you want the pretty football, you need the blood guts first, see how much work KD does at city and the rest of the team, see the shite across the park never give anyone any time with the ball, no hard work no good football. See our team in the 80s all over the opposition like a rash.  Stop this constant hate campaign against big Dunc its pathetic.

14 hours ago, Palfy said:

If Ancelotti does come in for the Arsenal game, I will always wonder how far Ferguson could have gone before he suffered his first loss in the league, and if he was able to reverse it in the next game. 

New manager bounce mate, he definitely showed that these snake oil salesmen like allardyce basically just come in and do 2 banks of 4, get rid and get it up as quick as poss.

Dunc just did it with more gusto, passion and humility.

It was a great audition for him. I would look to suggest that unsworth should be advised to cut his teeth managing a championship, league one team and give Dunc the Under 21s.  

But I see your point, its been great to see a passionate manager go about It the Everton way. 

Is Ancelotti the right fit? Is anybody? Fuck knows! We all thought that Koeman and Silva were top appointments and look how that turned out. People got the hump when we stooped so low as to appoint Allardyce.  All the board - any board - can do is get the best manager available at the time: we are lucky that Ancelotti was sacked right now. The other likely options are Moyes and Emery.  There’s only one way to find out if he’s the right person and that’s to sign him. Did Man Utd’s board expect that Ferguson would have the success he did. Like fuck they did. Only history will tell if a decision was the right one. In any case, 99% of manager careers at clubs will end in disaster; even Wenger’s did in the end!

3 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Let's get something right here lads, the media dont want a noisy neighbour messing up the hierarchy.... the are offended that Ancelotti would go to Everton.  It takes the shine off the club's he did manage.

They want us to be compliant, take the VAR beatings, watch our neighbours get all sorts of dodgy decisions and blow money on second tier players.

Ancellotti changes our landscape, its like Man City getting Mancini after Mark Hughes.... under Hughes they had the money to spend but no attraction for the top players. Mancini changed all that.  Under him they got Silva, aguero, yaya and won the league and set themselves up for what they are now. 

They just don't like it. They can smell something happening and no doubt it involves Usmanov. 

Remember the hand wringing when we signed Lukaku, Deulofeu and Barry? They were all pissing and moaning about the loan system and that we were effectively cheating.

I've said for years that the London based media have a real dislike for Everton. They were happy with Liverpool and Utd representing the North West but it wouldn't be right for London clubs to suffer further than that. When Man City came along they felt the same resistance and it took them a few seasons to really assert themselves at the expense of Arsenal. What happens if Everton make it to the top 4? There is a real possibility of the London clubs being completely frozen out. They just cannot accept that possibility. 

We will get there in the end but everyone from the fans, the players, the manager and the board all need to understand that it is US against the world. We have no friends in this game, only enemies who would LOVE to see us relegated.

This is the truth that we have all known all along. It manifests itself through Goodison Park when the referees give blatantly incorrect decisions and the fans turn on them, the atmosphere becomes electric and we usually go on to win the game.

Goodison needs to become a bear pit once again. Wenger used to dread the place. Moshiri and Ancelotti need to get that feeling back with combative players being brought in who have a bit of bite to go along with their craft. Get this right and we will have success sooner rather than later. 

7 hours ago, Palfy said:

If Ancelotti does rock up the idea of Dunc being his assistant is one that appeals to me, with Ancelotti when in possession we will have the good football with guile and creative play, and with Dunc we will still have the desire graft and passion for the shirt. 
They are chalk and cheese when it comes to style, but if they offer each other what the other may lack, this partnership could really work. 

dunc was the assistant with koeman allardyce and silva and the desire graft and passion for the shirt were non-existent, what makes you think it iwll be different this time?

4 hours ago, Tonsta said:

If you want the pretty football, you need the blood guts first, see how much work KD does at city and the rest of the team, see the shite across the park never give anyone any time with the ball, no hard work no good football. See our team in the 80s all over the opposition like a rash.  Stop this constant hate campaign against big Dunc its pathetic.

never been any blood and guts at City with Pep and they've won the league and other trophies.  i don't buy what you're selling

31 minutes ago, badaids said:

Is Ancelotti the right fit?

Alan Myers thinks so..

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11671/11889718/carlo-ancelotti-fits-farhad-moshiris-everton-vision-reveals-alan-myers

..and bookies have stopped taking bets on who's next in as well. Maybe bringing him onto the pitch before tonight's game?

12 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

dunc was the assistant with koeman allardyce and silva and the desire graft and passion for the shirt were non-existent, what makes you think it iwll be different this time?

never been any blood and guts at City with Pep and they've won the league and other trophies.  i don't buy what you're selling

Dunc was a coach with the other managers rather than his assistant. He will still have a part to play of course but a much lesser role solely as a coach.

The City players have run through brick walls the last couple of seasons for Pep. They might make it look easy but it's far from it. Liverpool cover every blade of grass too. 

33 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Dunc was a coach with the other managers rather than his assistant. He will still have a part to play of course but a much lesser role solely as a coach.

The City players have run through brick walls the last couple of seasons for Pep. They might make it look easy but it's far from it. Liverpool cover every blade of grass too. 

simply running around isn't blood and guts and passion for the shirt. 

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

You call it blood and guts, i call  it hard work pep won nothing without it, or klopp or anyone else you mention.

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

Strolling around, ball watching, not winning your battles most certainly isn't.

The fact of the matter is that if you don't have the quality to retain the ball as much as your opponents, you need to outwork them is an absolute minimum.  That's how we got our last two results.

The two best teams in the league work as hard off the ball as anyone. 

31 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Strolling around, ball watching, not winning your battles most certainly isn't.

The fact of the matter is that if you don't have the quality to retain the ball as much as your opponents, you need to outwork them is an absolute minimum.  That's how we got our last two results.

The two best teams in the league work as hard off the ball as anyone. 

i just don't buy it.  the top 2 teams in the league have the most technically gifted players in the league.  hard work only gets you so far (see spurs or burnley or bournemouth).  do i think you need both?  definately.  but the whole "blood and thunder will win the day" is complete BS, you need skilled players, and we should be getting the best not yard dogs who run marathons.

7 minutes ago, StevO said:

The players might not have the ability of some of the best players in the league, but what they must match them on is hard work. 
Anyone who has ever been at Goodison when more talented teams have come up against an Everton side willing to outwork them will understand how much the atmosphere changes. 
We like talented players, but we always love a player willing to flog themselves for the shirt. 
Until we have the best players in the league we must outwork everyone. 

i don't disagree, but i don't think having that mentality is the mentality of a winner.  that's the mentality of a mid table club punching above their weight.

4 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

No one is saying that you don't need skilled players....

The reality is this.... get the best 11 players in the world playing at 80% vs a team of average joes playing at 100% and you will see them mentally crumble.  

Why is it too much to expect a team of players regardless of their talent to put in a shift???

Everyone who played with Roy Keane said he was particularly great because he got an extra 10% out of every player.... which effectively meant that it felt like the team had one extra man.  He knew when one player wasn't doing it and he addressed it..... it prevented anyone else thinking they could do the same. 

Talent means nothing without work or application. 

i am very surprised to see this from you of all people Haf.  this sounds very knives to a gun fight david moyes, which i know you were not a fan of.  we should not aim to be mid table punch above our weight out work you.  we should aim to be better than you and outwork you.  that's what the old timers say about those 80s teams.  we would go down a goal and no one feared because we had the better players and the fans knew those players were going to work and win it and they often did (not on work alone, we had some amazingly skilled players).  i don't want the players who work hard but are missing sitters and sideways passes and schoolboy defender error average joes, i want the best.  farhad does too, let's see if he can come good on it.

7 hours ago, Hafnia said:

New manager bounce mate, he definitely showed that these snake oil salesmen like allardyce basically just come in and do 2 banks of 4, get rid and get it up as quick as poss.

Dunc just did it with more gusto, passion and humility.

It was a great audition for him. I would look to suggest that unsworth should be advised to cut his teeth managing a championship, league one team and give Dunc the Under 21s.  

But I see your point, its been great to see a passionate manager go about It the Everton way. 

Your probably right mate, but seeing the team play with passion and the supporters being lifted, is a great feeling that I don’t want to end. 

2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

You've completely contradicted yourself here. The best two teams in the league, who you rightly point out have incredibly gifted players from a technical stand point, are what they are precisely because their players don't 'simply run around'. They play with calculated aggression and a burning desire to beat whoever is put in front of them. That's what guts and passion mean, that's what defines winners, that is what managers like Pep and Klopp demand no matter how gifted a player is, and why someone like Ozil is playing for Arsenal, not Man City or Liverpool. 

Passion and commitment can and does beat talent when talent isn't up for the fight. That's usually the key thing that separates successful pros from the child protégés who never quite make it. Desire is everything, especially at the top. 

4 minutes ago, nogs said:

You've completely contradicted yourself here. The best two teams in the league, who you rightly point out have incredibly gifted players from a technical stand point, are what they are precisely because their players don't 'simply run around'. They play with calculated aggression and a burning desire to beat whoever is put in front of them. That's what guts and passion mean, that's what defines winners, that is what managers like Pep and Klopp demand no matter how gifted a player is, and why someone like Ozil is playing for Arsenal, not Man City or Liverpool. 

Passion and commitment can and does beat talent when talent isn't up for the fight. That's usually the key thing that separates successful pros from the child protégés who never quite make it. Desire is everything, especially at the top. 

Exactly this that’s why I said Dunc would make a good assistant to Ancelotti, he could install the fire and fight required on top of the tactics of Ancelotti, as others have pointed out Liverpool are a team that when they lose the ball they fight and give everything to win it back, the same as City do, these teams aren’t just great because of what they do when they have the ball, it’s just as much about what you do without the ball, Silva couldn’t get the team to work hard to win the ball back for him and teams just walked through us because we lacked fight, and Ferguson had no control under any previous manager to help set out how the team should play, even if Mark says differently. 

31 minutes ago, nogs said:

The best two teams in the league, who you rightly point out have incredibly gifted players from a technical stand point, are what they are precisely because their players don't 'simply run around'.

correct, they are who they are because they are technically gifted.  you can't teach that.  anyone can be taught to work hard and press.

55 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

i don't disagree, but i don't think having that mentality is the mentality of a winner.  that's the mentality of a mid table club punching above their weight.

i am very surprised to see this from you of all people Haf.  this sounds very knives to a gun fight david moyes, which i know you were not a fan of.  we should not aim to be mid table punch above our weight out work you.  we should aim to be better than you and outwork you.  that's what the old timers say about those 80s teams.  we would go down a goal and no one feared because we had the better players and the fans knew those players were going to work and win it and they often did (not on work alone, we had some amazingly skilled players).  i don't want the players who work hard but are missing sitters and sideways passes and schoolboy defender error average joes, i want the best.  farhad does too, let's see if he can come good on it.

It's not penknives to gunfights I'm talking about .... it's guns to gunfights with soldiers who fire more bullets and aim better.

My point is that 100% effort is required regardless of the calibre of players. 

6 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

correct, they are who they are because they are technically gifted.  you can't teach that.  anyone can be taught to work hard and press.

I think you have my wires crossed,  I am saying that regardless of the players abilities - effort is a prerequisite. 

"IF" Lukaku had it in his belly to play like DCL has done, pressing, fighting, running how much better would he have been? 

If Schneiderlein could have the desire to win a ball like Gana more often, how much would we look better ?

15 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Nope. It's not enough to be technically gifted. Not by a long shot. Klopp and Pep are not just successful because they buy the most talented players. They single out the most driven. 

7 minutes ago, nogs said:

Nope. It's not enough to be technically gifted. Not by a long shot. Klopp and Pep are not just successful because they buy the most talented players. They single out the most driven. 

People often wonder why Klopps players never hit the ground running? It's cos he has to get them for to play for him..... we all laughed and said they couldn't sustain their work rate .... they did and do.  Fittest team I've ever seen. 

19 minutes ago, nogs said:

The clearest example of that is that both Milner and Henderson have played a big part in his success at Liverpool. Average footballers with a great attitude.

6 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

and yet man city in the bottom half of ground covered during a match.  no one in the top 7 in the first 4 teams.  City don't "run through walls" to win the game, in fact they do the opposite.  

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league-running-stats-reveal-14184242

I think you're completely missing what the guys are trying to say to you. It's not about total distance run.

9 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

and yet man city in the bottom half of ground covered during a match.  no one in the top 7 in the first 4 teams.  City don't "run through walls" to win the game, in fact they do the opposite.  

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league-running-stats-reveal-14184242

At a guess I'd say that follows possession stats.  They've got the ball more and are pushing it around, forcing other teams to run.  Doesn't mean they don't work hard when they don't have it, just that they need to do it less.

24 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Distance run does not equal hard work on its own...

A player who closes an opponent down immediately will cover the same distance as someone who closes their opponent down slowly....  the resulting difference is that the quicker close will restrict their pass accuracy and heighten the chance to win the ball back.

Teams that lose the ball more frequently will end up running further. 

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

Leicester didn’t win the PL because they were the most technically gifted team in the league, they out worked there opponents.  

Yep.  They did the basics well, everyone knew their role, the plan and they played to it, they worked as a unit with and without the ball.  They also played for each other.  See also Greece in Euro 2004.  Basically, we have none of that at Everton at the moment and haven't since Bobby season 1.

18 minutes ago, badaids said:

Yep.  They did the basics well, everyone knew their role, the plan and they played to it, they worked as a unit with and without the ball.  They also played for each other.  See also Greece in Euro 2004.  Basically, we have none of that at Everton at the moment and haven't since Bobby season 1.

It's there.  Silva had sent it to the corner with a dunce cap on, but Dunc has brought it back.  Can't say the lads weren't fighting for each other out there today.

57 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

You don't have to run as far when you never let the opposition have the ball! And that is as much about winning it back as quickly as you lose it as it is about neat technical passing. 

7 hours ago, Hafnia said:

If Schneiderlein could have the desire to win a ball like Gana more often, how much would we look better ?

Didn't both quoting the Lukaku bit. Every other post you've made is about him. It's embarrassing and boring. 

Gana didn't have the desire. Look at McCarthy winning the ball compared to him. Gana was a yappy dog with no bite. Left huge gaps that gave away clear chances game after game and offered fuck all going forward if anything was a hinderance both defensively (left gaps) and attacking-wise (slowed the play, couldn't see a pass nevermind weigh it). 

Absolutely bored of morons going on about the useless leech. We've conceded far less chances through the middle with out and far more solid and creative through the middle. Imagine him playing today instead of Davies who, it'd been an absolute shambles. Only thing he had over Davies is speed. 

5 hours ago, pete0 said:

Didn't both quoting the Lukaku bit. Every other post you've made is about him. It's embarrassing and boring. 

Gana didn't have the desire. Look at McCarthy winning the ball compared to him. Gana was a yappy dog with no bite. Left huge gaps that gave away clear chances game after game and offered fuck all going forward if anything was a hinderance both defensively (left gaps) and attacking-wise (slowed the play, couldn't see a pass nevermind weigh it). 

Absolutely bored of morons going on about the useless leech. We've conceded far less chances through the middle with out and far more solid and creative through the middle. Imagine him playing today instead of Davies who, it'd been an absolute shambles. Only thing he had over Davies is speed. 

Every other post is about... Oh hang on 🙄🤪