IGNORED

John Stones

• 2 months later...

In a passionate news conference, Guardiola reserved his most effusive praise for much-criticised defender John Stones.

"John Stones has more balls than everyone here," he said. "I am delighted to have John with all the huge amount of mistakes he has, I love him. Because it's not easy to play central defender with this manager."

In a passionate news conference, Guardiola reserved his most effusive praise for much-criticised defender John Stones.

"John Stones has more balls than everyone here," he said. "I am delighted to have John with all the huge amount of mistakes he has, I love him. Because it's not easy to play central defender with this manager."

Wonder what drugs Pep is on....

Wonder what drugs Pep is on....

It's true though. It takes a certain type of a player to pull it off properly, especially when the rest of the team ahead of you aren't doing what they should (like he had at Barca).

If Williams/Mori/Jags played the Pep way they would be picking the ball out of the net every 5 minutes.

He has without doubt been their best defender and he doesn't deserve the amount of stick he gets.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
23 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Stones looked quite pleased picking up his medal wonder if he thinks did I make the right decision.

He's spent more than half the season sat on the bench but he's got a medal and a fat bank balance so he's probably OK with life overall.

19 hours ago, Palfy said:

Stones looked quite pleased picking up his medal wonder if he thinks did I make the right decision.

He knows he's 4th choice centre half.   But he has won a medal and is earning a truck load of cash.

Very overrated player.  Lacks it between the ears and it seems pep doesn't trust him like he wants to. 

4 minutes ago, hafnia said:

He knows he's 4th choice centre half.   But he has won a medal and is earning a truck load of cash.

Very overrated player.  Lacks it between the ears and it seems pep doesn't trust him like he wants to. 

Didn’t Pep recently say Stones will be there as long as he is?

3 hours ago, Matt said:

Yep, he loves Stones. Easily the best English CB. He was playing very reularly until he got injured mid season and has found it difficult to get back in after that and in fairness wasn' in the same form either.

8 hours ago, Matt said:

Yeah.... protested a little too much. A patched up kompany and new signing are ahead of him.

Hasn't he made less than 7 appearances this year? Not all down to injury either.  Made so many mistakes. 

2 hours ago, hafnia said:

Yeah.... protested a little too much. A patched up kompany and new signing are ahead of him.

Hasn't he made less than 7 appearances this year? Not all down to injury either.  Made so many mistakes. 

One of the best managers around values him. When his replacements started playing well, the manager stuck with a winning formula. That’s why he’s a great manager and am happy to agree with his praise of Stones, because i still think he’s going to be top class over his remaining (likely) 10 years of his career. 

Definitely looks a much better player under Pep when he's been fit 

Regardless of having good players around him prior to his injury he looked like the player many had hoped he would become

I was pissed off when he left and the circumstances but I doubt many of us would have done any different

23 hours ago, Matt said:

One of the best managers around values him. When his replacements started playing well, the manager stuck with a winning formula. That’s why he’s a great manager and am happy to agree with his praise of Stones, because i still think he’s going to be top class over his remaining (likely) 10 years of his career. 

I thought he was going to be class.... unfortunately he lacks that key ingredient that all top defenders have - the knowledge of when to get rid and when to play. 

Rio, Terry, carragher, desailly, baresi, maldini..... they all knew from a young age. 

Pep was hardly likely going to come out and say "nah he's shite.... I'll sell him at the end of the season"...... stones had started making costly mistakes. They bought Laporte and I believe he was to cover Kompany when he was likely to break down. 

22 hours ago, hafnia said:

4 prem appearances since Jan. 2 league cup... 1 fa cup and 1 champs league....

I just don't think he is first choice.... far from it. 

He is up against historically one of the best defenders in the prem, a player that is the perfect aggressive defender for Pep and £50ish million new signing whilst coming back from injury. 

He was out for around 2 months in November (Hammy) and simply came up against players in better form who didn' deserve to be dropped. He then got injured again with England and has only just come back. 

I think Pep will probably look at Laporte, Otamendi and Stones as his 3 long term CBs whilst using Kompany sparingly until he retires. A team that will look to go deep in every competition will need 4 CBs and it's no slight to even be 4th choice out of those. 

On 08/05/2018 at 16:28, hafnia said:

I thought he was going to be class.... unfortunately he lacks that key ingredient that all top defenders have - the knowledge of when to get rid and when to play. 

Rio, Terry, carragher, desailly, baresi, maldini..... they all knew from a young age. 

Pep was hardly likely going to come out and say "nah he's shite.... I'll sell him at the end of the season"...... stones had started making costly mistakes. They bought Laporte and I believe he was to cover Kompany when he was likely to break down. 

That's because he's a class manager. This is exactly what our excuse for a manager would say, though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
30 minutes ago, barryj said:

A few rumours flying around. Obviously I can’t move this over to the rumour section.

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2020/07/04/arsenal-face-transfer-battle-with-everton-to-sign-premier-league-defensive-target/

If he could stay fit I'd have him here. But for the money it'd cost to bring a sicknote in it's just not worth it.