IGNORED

Difficult one this, but on balance feel the need to post it....

MikeO

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

Off to Italy on Wednesday to give my eldest daughter away she's getting married on the Friday, what's so difficult about that you may be wondering, well he's a Utd supporter add that to my youngest daughters fella being a red Shiite and I hope you can feel my pain.

It'll get worse when you get the bar and it's your round in Italy €€€

10 hours ago, johnh said:

Have a great day Palfy.  By the way, have they told you that you have to give your 'father of the bride' speech  in Italian?

Thanks John, I’ve been brushing up on my Italian Moretti Peroni Ghanti and Prosecco, I think I should be alright with those four words. 

On 29/07/2019 at 21:09, Palfy said:

Off to Italy on Wednesday to give my eldest daughter away she's getting married on the Friday, what's so difficult about that you may be wondering, well he's a Utd supporter add that to my youngest daughters fella being a red Shiite and I hope you can feel my pain.

I thought you’d gotten seriously ill posting in this thread :shakingfist:

• 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Been asked to do a 45 second "selfie" for a larger Macmillan vid, hate having my photo taken let alone stuff like :unsure:

You’re a survivor mate just think how much hope and belief your vid could give others who are in the position you were in, it’s a no brainer mate you know you’ve got to do. 

We can’t all be photogenic some have to have ugly mugs, put that to one side and get on with it😀

13 hours ago, Palfy said:

You’re a survivor mate just think how much hope and belief your vid could give others who are in the position you were in, it’s a no brainer mate you know you’ve got to do. 

We can’t all be photogenic some have to have ugly mugs, put that to one side and get on with it😀

Thanks mate yeah I've agreed to do it, just need to work out what to say.

On 06/09/2019 at 05:45, MikeO said:

Cameras lie; they always increase my waist size (and my age) and for some reason are incapable of recognising my lustrous locks and end up depicting some overweight old bald bloke that I've never seen before:dontknow: 

There are apps for that sir :)

• 11 months later...

As I said in the first post in this thread six and a half years ago, "Right, difficult one this and something that I've thought long and hard about making "public" within TT, but as it's coming to a bit of a head I thought maybe I would.
Should point out at this stage that this is personal stuff and nothing to do with Everton, sport, what I had for breakfast or what movies/music I'm currently listening to so anyone not interested beyond any of those things should look away now.....completely understand that people take TT at different levels and that's fine, all members and approaches are equally valid."

But TT, and members past and present, has/have been a huge part of my life for more than fifteen years now so the time has come to come clean on my current situation. First, and strangely not worst, my cancer has returned. I thought something wasn't right early July so went through series of tests/scans/biopsies which ended with the cancer being confirmed at the end of the month, it's actually not strictly speaking a recurrance because it's in a slightly different place to the last one but still in my throat. My only chance of surviving this time (can't have radio/chemo twice in the same place because of the damage RT in particular causes/caused) is an "extended laryngectomy" which means my voice box and part of my tongue will have to be removed and consequently I won't be able to talk, though there is a possibility of implants later that will give me some sort of artificial voice (though if I'm going to sound like a dalek I'll give it a miss). Also, will have to breathe through a hole in my neck (stoma) rather than nose/mouth which will likely feel a little weird. Eight hours surgery and probably two weeks in hospital pencilled in for early next month. The aim is for me to be able to eat and drink afterwards but no guarantees, possibly tube fed for life.

But like I said, not the worst of it. That is the fact that my wife, Debbie, went to bed on August 3rd and didn't wake up on the 4th, died in her sleep at 53. Impossible to describe the last couple of weeks or so; I don't have the words and none of our friends/family do and I don't expect anyone here to have them either. She had a bad chest that our GP had given her an x-ray referral for six weeks before she died but with virus delays her appt dropped through the door on August 5th. I was tempted to say yes do the x-ray people and tell them they'd find her in the mortuary but didn't. If there was no virus and she'd been seen immediately could something have been done? I don't know and there's really no point in getting angry about it, many people will die and already have as a result of the virus due not being able to see the people thay should when they needed to. Post mortem said Deb died from bronchopneumonia and lung abscess, but I've yet to speak to a doctor who could explain to me why.

Anyway, those are the bare bones of the crap that's rained down on me recently. Her funeral is next Friday and the day before I see my "team" and hopefully get a date for surgery. I'll still be here whenever I can and no plans (yet) to amputate my fingers so I'll be able to type.

Sorry to be so depressing (again).

Best wishes to all, friend and foe alike.

16 minutes ago, MikeO said:

As I said in the first post in this thread six and a half years ago, "Right, difficult one this and something that I've thought long and hard about making "public" within TT, but as it's coming to a bit of a head I thought maybe I would.
Should point out at this stage that this is personal stuff and nothing to do with Everton, sport, what I had for breakfast or what movies/music I'm currently listening to so anyone not interested beyond any of those things should look away now.....completely understand that people take TT at different levels and that's fine, all members and approaches are equally valid."

But TT, and members past and present, has/have been a huge part of my life for more than fifteen years now so the time has come to come clean on my current situation. First, and strangely not worst, my cancer has returned. I thought something wasn't right early July so went through series of tests/scans/biopsies which ended with the cancer being confirmed at the end of the month, it's actually not strictly speaking a recurrance because it's in a slightly different place to the last one but still in my throat. My only chance of surviving this time (can't have radio/chemo twice in the same place because of the damage RT in particular causes/caused) is an "extended laryngectomy" which means my voice box and part of my tongue will have to be removed and consequently I won't be able to talk, though there is a possibility of implants later that will give me some sort of artificial voice (though if I'm going to sound like a dalek I'll give it a miss). Also, will have to breathe through a hole in my neck (stoma) rather than nose/mouth which will likely feel a little weird. Eight hours surgery and probably two weeks in hospital pencilled in for early next month. The aim is for me to be able to eat and drink afterwards but no guarantees, possibly tube fed for life.

But like I said, not the worst of it. That is the fact that my wife, Debbie, went to bed on August 3rd and didn't wake up on the 4th, died in her sleep at 53. Impossible to describe the last couple of weeks or so; I don't have the words and none of our friends/family do and I don't expect anyone here to have them either. She had a bad chest that our GP had given her an x-ray referral for six weeks before she died but with virus delays her appt dropped through the door on August 5th. I was tempted to say yes do the x-ray people and tell them they'd find her in the mortuary but didn't. If there was no virus and she'd been seen immediately could something have been done? I don't know and there's really no point in getting angry about it, many people will die and already have as a result of the virus due not being able to see the people thay should when they needed to. Post mortem said Deb died from bronchopneumonia and lung abscess, but I've yet to speak to a doctor who could explain to me why.

Anyway, those are the bare bones of the crap that's rained down on me recently. Her funeral is next Friday and the day before I see my "team" and hopefully get a date for surgery. I'll still be here whenever I can and no plans (yet) to amputate my fingers so I'll be able to type.

Sorry to be so depressing (again).

Best wishes to all, friend and foe alike.

So sorry to see this mike. Wishing you all the strength at this time to you and your family.

My deepest condolences. 

• 2 weeks later...