IGNORED

Andros Townsend

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

As with Gray, he's had his purple patch and now looks like the squad calibre player everyone knows he is. We just have to wait for him to hit another purple patch, which I'm sure he will do at some point.

Is that tongue in cheek Mark? 

27 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

Is that tongue in cheek Mark? 

In what way could it be tongue in cheek? He had a purple patch and now he's past that and looks like the squad player he should be, but due to us being so fucking shit financially he's a first teamer and we have to wait for another purple patch.

9 hours ago, Btay said:

To be fair to gray in particular he has put some excellent balls across the face of goal begging to be tapped in. Both he and Townsend has struggled from Rondon up top. Be interesting if they start to accumulate more assists if Richarlison back and even more so with Dom

I’ll be amazed if that doesn’t happen ( and very very disappointed )

1 hour ago, Bill said:

Been disappointed with Gray lately seems to have been watching another player we had here, not letting go of the ball and running into dead ends, consequently losing the ball.

I think he was particularly poor vs Wolves but he was in good company and his form has coincided with the injuries and us looking generally poor!

On 04/11/2021 at 23:47, Btay said:

To be fair to gray in particular he has put some excellent balls across the face of goal begging to be tapped in. Both he and Townsend has struggled from Rondon up top. Be interesting if they start to accumulate more assists if Richarlison back and even more so with Dom

I think this can sometimes be a bit of an illusion. 

It happens a lot where a ball goes across goal and the commentator says something like it was begging for someone to 'gamble' etc but a lot of the time the player would never have got to the ball or the crosser picked the wrong pass. It can be all well and good playing balls into dangerous areas if the players attacking the ball are in different dangerous areas. 

I guess it is a bit of a chicken and egg situation as to whether the ball was genuinely a good ball in that situation. 

16 minutes ago, Bailey said:

It happens a lot where a ball goes across goal and the commentator says something like it was begging for someone to 'gamble' etc but a lot of the time the player would never have got to the ball or the crosser picked the wrong pass. It can be all well and good playing balls into dangerous areas if the players attacking the ball are in different dangerous areas. 

I guess it is a bit of a chicken and egg situation as to whether the ball was genuinely a good ball in that situation. 

You would like to think these situations are ironed out on the training ground, a striker should no what type of ball is going to come in from a certain player and anticipate that arriving and not hesitate to get there. Obviously not every cross is going to be pinpoint accurate but the one that is only leads to a goal if the striker keeps hitting the area worked on in training. 

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Beckham never picked out players - he hit his crosses into the corridor of uncertainty and if the strikers weren't there - they had Ferguson to deal with.

Similar to NFL - the wide receivers do route running and they need to be at a certain point at a moment

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

You would like to think these situations are ironed out on the training ground, a striker should no what type of ball is going to come in from a certain player and anticipate that arriving and not hesitate to get there. Obviously not every cross is going to be pinpoint accurate but the one that is only leads to a goal if the striker keeps hitting the area worked on in training. 

Patterns of play will be expected but you can't plan attacks that precisely in football otherwise it would be easy to score goals! 

The type of play you talk about is probably seen at City (KDB wide right, whipping first time ball to far post) but they are a dominant team that get into that position regularly and yet still only do it a handful of times a game. We don't even look like we practice passing to eachother!

57 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Beckham never picked out players - he hit his crosses into the corridor of uncertainty and if the strikers weren't there - they had Ferguson to deal with.

Similar to NFL - the wide receivers do route running and they need to be at a certain point at a moment

I don't believe Beckham never picked out a player in open play. It is just rubbish. There may be certain situations (as I described above for City), or on set plays, but it is just a load of rubbish I am afraid.

As for the NFL comparison, that to is misguided. Each play in the NFL can only be compared to a set piece in football. There are far more variables to take into account of in football. 

29 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Patterns of play will be expected but you can't plan attacks that precisely in football otherwise it would be easy to score goals! 

The type of play you talk about is probably seen at City (KDB wide right, whipping first time ball to far post) but they are a dominant team that get into that position regularly and yet still only do it a handful of times a game. We don't even look like we practice passing to eachother!

I don't believe Beckham never picked out a player in open play. It is just rubbish. There may be certain situations (as I described above for City), or on set plays, but it is just a load of rubbish I am afraid.

As for the NFL comparison, that to is misguided. Each play in the NFL can only be compared to a set piece in football. There are far more variables to take into account of in football. 

Could David Beckham pick out a player?  Of course he could.  Not saying that he didn't.

For the purpose of crossing a ball the logic is that the players in the box know his intentions not the other way around.....  You saying that he makes a decision in a split second to know that the player will drop off, the defender will jump etc etc..... No.     He whips in a ball into an area where he knows there is a highest chance a team mate will make it - it's up to the team mate to get on the end.  His ability to choose the flight and execute it is what made him so great. 

No different to pro golfers, they split a green into 4 sections.  If the pin is back left they will hit a draw and feed it in - you think they hit a linear shot to the flag on a shots? 

19 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Could David Beckham pick out a player?  Of course he could.  Not saying that he didn't.

For the purpose of crossing a ball the logic is that the players in the box know his intentions not the other way around.....  You saying that he makes a decision in a split second to know that the player will drop off, the defender will jump etc etc..... No.     He whips in a ball into an area where he knows there is a highest chance a team mate will make it - it's up to the team mate to get on the end.  His ability to choose the flight and execute it is what made him so great. 

No different to pro golfers, they split a green into 4 sections.  If the pin is back left they will hit a draw and feed it in - you think they hit a linear shot to the flag on a shots? 

First NFL, now golf. 

As someone who got down to scratch, I can assure you your anology is not correct. Yep sometimes that will be the story but again there are loads of other factors that come into play.

Back to football, no I am not saying he knows what the attacker will do exactly. Lots of that comes down to the relationship between the two players. One of the reasons Iwobi is so usless at crossing the ball is because the attacker can't predict what will happen. I can say with absolute certainty that Beckham would look up, see the run being made or where a player is in space and pick out the attackers run. I can't really believe this is an argument.

57 minutes ago, Bailey said:

First NFL, now golf. 

As someone who got down to scratch, I can assure you your anology is not correct. Yep sometimes that will be the story but again there are loads of other factors that come into play.

Back to football, no I am not saying he knows what the attacker will do exactly. Lots of that comes down to the relationship between the two players. One of the reasons Iwobi is so usless at crossing the ball is because the attacker can't predict what will happen. I can say with absolute certainty that Beckham would look up, see the run being made or where a player is in space and pick out the attackers run. I can't really believe this is an argument.

As someone who has played a few holes of golf with a European tour golfer who actually won an event and had lessons from his caddy for the past few years.... I can confirm that is exactly what they do - the caddy gives them a carry distance and line to go for based on what the green book shows.   Not sure you being a scratch golfer in any way shape or form had any credence on that considering he was +5 at 15 years old... scratch golfer...... FFS, I'm single figures and play weekend golf on a high slope course..... Means fuck all. 

Beckham looked up to know there was someone there and the general picture of play - of course he fucking did. In the split second in his head he will have one of about 9 types of cross picked out and the area it needs to go........  Nothing more than that.  Hit the chosen delivery that gives the attacker a chance and the rest is their doing.

Maybe different golfers do different things to each other. Why would they all do exactly the same thing? Makes no sense. 
Bryson, Wolff and Rory are all very different even just in their technique of striking the ball. Why would they all do the same? 

Also, Beckham was dead good at crossing. 

Townsend though? He’s alright. 😂

6 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

As someone who has played a few holes of golf with a European tour golfer who actually won an event and had lessons from his caddy for the past few years.... I can confirm that is exactly what they do - the caddy gives them a carry distance and line to go for based on what the green book shows.   Not sure you being a scratch golfer in any way shape or form had any credence on that considering he was +5 at 15 years old... scratch golfer...... FFS, I'm single figures and play weekend golf on a high slope course..... Means fuck all. 

Beckham looked up to know there was someone there and the general picture of play - of course he fucking did. In the split second in his head he will have one of about 9 types of cross picked out and the area it needs to go........  Nothing more than that.  Hit the chosen delivery that gives the attacker a chance and the rest is their doing.

Come on, stop the cloak and dagger, give us names!! 😂

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

I played with David Howell at his private club when he was number 9 in the world, can anyone trump that😂

Paul Way (you may need to google him😂) was a mate of my kid brother so I played with him on occasion. When I say "with him" that's stretching things a bit as he rarely visited the same areas of the course that I did, we mostly just came across each other on the tees and the greens. He was a bit of a dick to be honest.

Oh, and I worked with Debbie Dowling's cousin for a while as well (google probably needed again):P

10 hours ago, MikeO said:

Paul Way (you may need to google him😂) was a mate of my kid brother so I played with him on occasion. When I say "with him" that's stretching things a bit as he rarely visited the same areas of the course that I did, we mostly just came across each other on the tees and the greens. He was a bit of a dick to be honest.

Oh, and I worked with Debbie Dowling's cousin for a while as well (google probably needed again):P

I played with him also at a hospitality day in 1989,  DHL used to sponsor him, I was a Key Account Manager and we used to do regular golf days with our customers, big biceps is the main thing I remember of him, and also his career falling of a cliff once we had sponsored him 😩

12 hours ago, MikeO said:

Sadly loads of golfers are absolute bellends.  

It is the type of sport that appeals to socially awkward and privileged brats.  

The thing about waring is that he is a great lad.... Yet you get a 2 or 3 handicap golfer swaggering around the gaff thinking they are great.