IGNORED

Andros Townsend

2 hours ago, Wiggytop said:

I played with him also at a hospitality day in 1989,  DHL used to sponsor him, I was a Key Account Manager and we used to do regular golf days with our customers, big biceps is the main thing I remember of him, and also his career falling of a cliff once we had sponsored him 😩

I remember his career collapsing around him but I didn't know it was your fault😂

On 07/11/2021 at 18:36, Hafnia said:

As someone who has played a few holes of golf with a European tour golfer who actually won an event and had lessons from his caddy for the past few years.... I can confirm that is exactly what they do - the caddy gives them a carry distance and line to go for based on what the green book shows.   Not sure you being a scratch golfer in any way shape or form had any credence on that considering he was +5 at 15 years old... scratch golfer...... FFS, I'm single figures and play weekend golf on a high slope course..... Means fuck all. 

Beckham looked up to know there was someone there and the general picture of play - of course he fucking did. In the split second in his head he will have one of about 9 types of cross picked out and the area it needs to go........  Nothing more than that.  Hit the chosen delivery that gives the attacker a chance and the rest is their doing.

As someone who has also played with professional golfers including a Ryder Cup player (a while ago I will add), I can again tell you it is not exactly what they do. I didn't want to get into a dick measure contest but I couldn't resist. Some basic things that every golfer will consider are as follows:

1. Not all professional golfers are comfortable shaping the ball both ways. The majority see their shots one way of the other.

2. The majority of decisions will be based on the conditions. You aren't going to play a shot into every green if the greens are rock hard or if the wind is blowing in a certain direction.

3. Shot selection will also depend on the lie, hazards and the pin position. You aren't going to feed a ball here and there if it means you have to go against a slope (as you will know). It is unlikely anyone would try and draw a ball off a divot lie either because you have much less control with a draw than you would a fade, especially in firm conditions.

4. You also then have to think about the length of shot. It isn't easy to hit wedge shots with fade or draw because of the high back spin rate. Therefore the shorter the shot, the more direct you will go, taking into account the wind rather than trying to curve one in a certain way.

They are just very basic points, but there is certainly not just one way that all professional golfers do things.

On 07/11/2021 at 18:41, StevO said:

Maybe different golfers do different things to each other. Why would they all do exactly the same thing? Makes no sense. 
Bryson, Wolff and Rory are all very different even just in their technique of striking the ball. Why would they all do the same? 

Also, Beckham was dead good at crossing. 

Townsend though? He’s alright. 😂

:shakingfist:

Stop taking us back off topic! :)

43 minutes ago, Bailey said:

As someone who has also played with professional golfers including a Ryder Cup player (a while ago I will add), I can again tell you it is not exactly what they do. I didn't want to get into a dick measure contest but I couldn't resist. Some basic things that every golfer will consider are as follows:

1. Not all professional golfers are comfortable shaping the ball both ways. The majority see their shots one way of the other.

2. The majority of decisions will be based on the conditions. You aren't going to play a shot into every green if the greens are rock hard or if the wind is blowing in a certain direction.

3. Shot selection will also depend on the lie, hazards and the pin position. You aren't going to feed a ball here and there if it means you have to go against a slope (as you will know). It is unlikely anyone would try and draw a ball off a divot lie either because you have much less control with a draw than you would a fade, especially in firm conditions.

4. You also then have to think about the length of shot. It isn't easy to hit wedge shots with fade or draw because of the high back spin rate. Therefore the shorter the shot, the more direct you will go, taking into account the wind rather than trying to curve one in a certain way.

They are just very basic points, but there is certainly not just one way that all professional golfers do things.

:shakingfist:

Stop taking us back off topic! :)

All depends.  Earnie els aimed for middle of green and faded or drew it it in or played straight shot.  Some players do indeed have one shot shape but do they a take aim at the pin?  Not necessarily, most will section the green the narrow the target. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
15 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Like Coleman, he puts full effort in every game but he’s just not good enough. Slow, loses the ball, his crossing is a bit shit most of the time.

The odd good cross and worldy does make up for the amount of time he spends contributing nothing. We have to find a way to use him sparingly. 

And somehow is our top goal scorer and second highest assister...

State of this team...

16 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Like Coleman, he puts full effort in every game but he’s just not good enough. Slow, loses the ball, his crossing is a bit shit most of the time.

The odd good cross and worldy does make up for the amount of time he spends contributing nothing. We have to find a way to use him sparingly. 

That last game exposed his lack of pace. He’s definitely lost a yard or two. I don’t remember him being THAT slow. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...