IGNORED

Andros Townsend

6 hours ago, Hafnia said:

He's a wide player....  We were not in the game so it's unlikely he's gonna get on the ball as much.  Win the midfield battle and we get on the ball. 

It isn't about him being on the ball or not, it is what he does with it. He wasn't doing anything with it to that point and then boom!

I just find it strange, I wonder if it is a concentration thing. A player with that talent, who works well for the team like he does, should be far better than he is and have had a far more illustrious career.

11 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

He actually took responsibility for not getting on the ball enough in the first half in his interview. I liked that about him and I do really like him as a person, so I would love for him to be a huge success here.

I watched the game twice, I actually think he did show but our speed of play was slow, our midfield were not on the ball.  It was just generally poor, not sure how a wide player can change that but if he wants to take responsibility then fair enough. 

Not to moneyball you all here but…

Statistically over his career he is averaging (roughly) a goal involvement every 232 minutes.

With us, albeit a small sample size he is at 89 mins per goal involvement. Newcastle under Rafa he was 181.5 minutes.

Its not unrealistic to think he could easily chip in 10-15 goals or assists this season with those numbers.

3 hours ago, Btay said:

Statistically over his career he is averaging (roughly) a goal involvement every 232 minutes.

With us, albeit a small sample size he is at 89 mins per goal involvement. Newcastle under Rafa he was 181.5 minutes.

Its not unrealistic to think he could easily chip in 10-15 goals or assists this season with those numbers.

I don’t think we will see that not because the stats are wrong I just don’t think he will be an automatic stater, if he starts more than 20 games in the league I will be surprised. 

4 hours ago, Palfy said:

I don’t think we will see that not because the stats are wrong I just don’t think he will be an automatic stater, if he starts more than 20 games in the league I will be surprised. 

I think we all expected a big name to come in along with Gray and Townsend but in all honesty, they are probably out performing any big money signing we could have made right now 

7 hours ago, Matt said:

Why? Who's his competition?

I’m not sure that he can keep the intensity up would be great if he could but I feel he will be needed to be rested at intervals, and that’s not a reflection on his ability or focus which are spot on but more his age. And I believe Iwobi will get opportunities to play out on the right    he has improved and impressed Benitez so we could see him there in quite a few games. 

13 hours ago, Btay said:

Just to dive into this a little bit further.

Since the 2014/15 season he has played 14,416 minutes scoring 20 and assisting 27. That is one involvement every 307 minutes which is approximately every 3.5 games or 11 contributions a season.

As a comparison, since arriving in England, Richarlison has played 11,869 minutes scoring and assisting a combined 51 times. This is a contribution every 233 minutes, 2.5 games or 15 contributions a season.

5 hours ago, Btay said:

I think we all expected a big name to come in along with Gray and Townsend but in all honesty, they are probably out performing any big money signing we could have made right now 

I agree totally, Rafa would have liked money to bring in better players he has said so himself, but the Gray and Townsend signings have been for no money and have made an instant impact, and that is down to the manager , they are his signings playing how he wants. If people believe he has bought well then imagine what he had lined up if he could have off loaded James and had some decent money to play with. 

I though Townsend was the pick of the bunch of players available as free transfer. So I was glad when we snuck in while Palace dilly dallyied about offering him a new contract. 

No complains on the return so far, lets just hope he continues in the same vain. He looks like he is enjoying his football

If you have players like Townsend in the team that are capable of a decent shot from outside the area - it gives the opposition defence something to think about. He will not score goals like that to often, but defenders dare not give him too much space in that area of the pitch. They need to get to him quick -  it make space for others to exploit.

Good, bad or indifferent, we all have our own assessment of him, however the one thing that he is doing is having shots at goal which we’ve not been doing enough of the past few season. I’d much rather have a crack at goal than pass across the defence/midfield, who knows, we might score every now and then!

6 hours ago, Palfy said:

I agree totally, Rafa would have liked money to bring in better players he has said so himself, but the Gray and Townsend signings have been for no money and have made an instant impact, and that is down to the manager , they are his signings playing how he wants. If people believe he has bought well then imagine what he had lined up if he could have off loaded James and had some decent money to play with. 

God dammit I liked this before I read your little James dig. I haven't got the heart to down vote you though. You bastard.

13 minutes ago, Btay said:

God dammit I liked this before I read your little James dig. I haven't got the heart to down vote you though. You bastard.

Sorry mate, but if we could have gotten rid of James and bought the young exciting fit hard working Diaz in Rafa would be taking us to the next level. Townsend isn’t the future neither is James, but Townsend is a mentor he’s a good example of what you should strive to be for the younger players, our future is Iwobi Richarlison Gray Godfrey Pickford DCL Doucoure Digne and Keane and if we can add the likes of Diaz in replacement of James I’m all for that. 

4 minutes ago, Bailey said:

There will be a fair bit of negativity around after tonights performance and rightly so, but I thought Townsend was absolutely class tonight. 

His attitude in particular was first rate bur his quality on the ball was consistently brilliant as well. 

👏

He certainly embarrassed a few of his team mates tonight.