IGNORED

Tom Davies

He needs to be better at the basics if I'm going to change my mind about him and see him having a future here.

While he's always willing to receive the ball he seems to panic when he does receive it, and struggles to control the ball adequately. If I'm an opposition manager then I'm telling my players to get around him because you'll win the ball back quite easily.

It's the same with his passing - he panics and will often just fire the ball to someone or misplace it entirely.

He needs to relax and do the basics right, then he can go from there. I do feel a 22 year old should already be doing that but it is what it is.

3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

He doesn't do it often enough, he's erratic. He just needs to be calmer and then he can be more useful.

I think he is doing well, he looked good against Arsenal, especially considering how little football he has played. Room for improvement yes, but he did a good job for us and can continue to do so.

Not his biggest fan by a country mile but I saw a much improved performance yesterday.

He still gave the ball away with mis-placed long balls but it was another side to his game that was much improved.

Against Arsenal I named him 5 touch Davies due to touching the ball 5 times in 40 minutes. 

Yesterday he didn’t hide! He made himself available more than I have seen in a while. As a centre Mid this is something he should be doing without even thinking about it. 

Although it was against the bottom of the table team yesterday can only build his confidence as he will be called upon a lot in the coming games with injuries.

A good 7.5 performance yesterday. 
more of the same please.

2 hours ago, milesey05 said:

Not his biggest fan by a country mile but I saw a much improved performance yesterday.

He still gave the ball away with mis-placed long balls but it was another side to his game that was much improved.

Against Arsenal I named him 5 touch Davies due to touching the ball 5 times in 40 minutes. 

Yesterday he didn’t hide! He made himself available more than I have seen in a while. As a centre Mid this is something he should be doing without even thinking about it. 

Although it was against the bottom of the table team yesterday can only build his confidence as he will be called upon a lot in the coming games with injuries.

A good 7.5 performance yesterday. 
more of the same please.

The opponents suited him, but it shows he has a place in the squad. The same with Gomes, the Sheff United team are poor by some distance to most sides. 

Davies hasn't played anywhere near as bad as some make out.  He's not a transformative player, he's a jobber a d that's fine at certain stages of a game or certain games themselves. 

12 hours ago, Btay said:

Defensively Tom is very underrated in my opinion. Even when we had Gana he was getting a good around of tackles & interceptions. 

Yet at the same time he was getting strolled around by the relative snails of the league. 

I think he does a very good job at cutting the passing lanes, but I always find his tackling is on the cusp of being out of control. Its all a bit last ditch and papering over the cracks of his athleticism and positioning. 

If you compare the type of tackles Gana would make with the ones Tom makes, this would highlight the point. 

3 hours ago, c1982 said:

What I like about it is that he’s just doing it - there’s no advertising of the fact; he’s not putting selfies all over social media. I get that publicity raises awareness but it’s also refreshing to see someone just go and do it without a song and a dance!

*I’m not comparing this to Rashford in any way - he’s an absolute hero for what he’s done.

it's called humility, tom has it, nice to see

7 minutes ago, milesey05 said:

As soon as I put in a little praise for his efforts and improved performance last week...he reverts to his former self.... just shite.

too slow to put in a tackle

too slow moving the ball forward.

hiding again and not creating space to receive the ball. 

Championship player getting a premier league wage. 

I don't think he hid. He was slow moving the ball because Richarlison, Gylfi and Bernard (lesser extent) weren't interested in getting it off him.

5 minutes ago, Btay said:

I don't think he hid. He was slow moving the ball because Richarlison, Gylfi and Bernard (lesser extend) weren't interested in getting it off him.

I watch him very closely during games.

his lack of pace prevents him getting into areas quick enough to receive the ball.

one pass he actually just kicked the ball into touch. 

Another dire performance but he wasn’t alone. 

2 hours ago, milesey05 said:

I watch him very closely during games.

his lack of pace prevents him getting into areas quick enough to receive the ball.

one pass he actually just kicked the ball into touch. 

Another dire performance but he wasn’t alone. 

The pass that went into touch that was intended for Godfrey on the left? Not a great moment but Godfrey darted in behind as he played it - would have gone to his feet otherwise. Still as I have said, he was trying things, trying to get players involved and move the ball forward but he needs to sharpen up the simple side of his game.

I watched him closely in the first half and I have to say that it was as disinterested display as I have seen from anyone in a blue shirt this season. He just wasn't at the races at all and he spent way too much time just walking around, which isn't acceptable in my opinion. He was a hindrance in our build up play a lot of the time too. He was more often than not in the way rather than helping. 

The pedestrian nature was also in defence too. At one point he was waiting and watching when West Ham attacked, another he dived in leaving 2 West Ham players to add to the counter attack giving them an overload. 

I'm not saying there weren't others equally as pedestrian but I was hoping he might kick on after Sheffield but instead he took 10 steps backwards. 

18 hours ago, Palfy said:

I would say he worked hard off the ball covered a lot of ground made his fair share of challenges, his down fall was his qualities with the ball, either a bad first touch a backwards or sideways pass, or a misplaced pass, but his effort can not be questioned imo. 

Just about sums it up for me, can’t knock his effort but if Gana Gueye had put in a performance like that Pete would have wanted him hung drawn and quartered 

After putting in such a great performance against Sheffield Utd the shit show against West Ham really was two steps backwards for him

If we could get Khedira in January I’d like to see Davies go out on loan somewhere  like West Brom where he could play week in week out because it must be difficult to show what he’s capable of when he isn’t getting a decent run of games 

Big difference playing in midfield against a poor Sheffield United team and playing against a David Moyes West Ham. 
Sheffield United were very happy for him to have time on the ball and dictate from deep. West Ham are just very organised and solid (like we were under Moyes for years) and you won’t get the time and space against them like you will against Sheffield United. 
That said, he still wasn’t at the races, but neither were his time mates. He didn’t lose us the game on his own. It’s just another reminder that without our best players all being on the pitch we don’t have the quality to beat an organised defensive team who are happy to let us have the ball. 
These same players of ours did what West Ham did against Chelsea, Leicester and Arsenal. But breaking down a solid defence is hard when you’re missing Digne and Allan. James has only just come back, so has Coleman. 
We were flat all over the park. 
Play a team in the cup that should do the job and then get back to it against Wolves and Villa. Those two games will have a huge impact on our position in the league. 

46 minutes ago, StevO said:

Big difference playing in midfield against a poor Sheffield United team and playing against a David Moyes West Ham. 
Sheffield United were very happy for him to have time on the ball and dictate from deep. West Ham are just very organised and solid (like we were under Moyes for years) and you won’t get the time and space against them like you will against Sheffield United. 
That said, he still wasn’t at the races, but neither were his time mates. He didn’t lose us the game on his own. It’s just another reminder that without our best players all being on the pitch we don’t have the quality to beat an organised defensive team who are happy to let us have the ball. 
These same players of ours did what West Ham did against Chelsea, Leicester and Arsenal. But breaking down a solid defence is hard when you’re missing Digne and Allan. James has only just come back, so has Coleman. 
We were flat all over the park. 
Play a team in the cup that should do the job and then get back to it against Wolves and Villa. Those two games will have a huge impact on our position in the league. 

As true as that is he just simply had a shocker, it doesn’t matter who the opposition is if you can’t manage to find a man who is in acres of space 5 yards away from you