IGNORED

Tom Davies

13 minutes ago, EFC-Paul said:

Because I don't see him as an outstanding young talent Nogs it's that simple I don't see what area of his game he could refine and hone to become much better, I just see him as I've said previously a potentially steady squad player obviously experience will help him along his way to a degree 

Is it an achievement at his age to have played as many games as he has yes of course it is but he's had many of those games due to circumstances surrounding the squad such as injuries and so on, I'm not discounting those appearances I'm just looking at it from a neutral and honest perspective

I agree on Barkley he got some bad treatment from fans whilst playing largely due to how frustrating he was as he had the raw ability but hardly ever applied it but it didn't justify the abuse he got at times 

The problem is as I've said above you've shoehorned people into a bracket and used past situations with the likes of Barkley that certainly aren't applicable to myself purely on the basis of people not rating a player, I've never hurled abuse at a game and all that bollocks I've purely stated on a forum I don't particularly rate him 

Personally I can't think of any other players that got abuse for being local etc it seems to be a urban myth that's been created imo Barkley got it Lukaku got it Naisse got it as did Martina and many others over the years 

I'll back the lad to the hilt when he's wearing the shirt but I won't be blinded by that in my judgement if he's under par and I'll praise the lad when he does well as with any player  

You don’t see where he can improve? If you don’t think he’s that much of a telant then surely he can improve ALL aspects of his game? I don’t see why or how you can think a player doesn’t have the ability to improve. Even Thierry Henry said he was learning more and more well into his 30’s. Ossie, who I’ve already mentioned in here, only really become good enough at his mid 20’s and then for me improved almost every year until he got to about 31 when he then got a call up to the England team. 

They don’t have to be a top player at 18, 19, or even 23, just show enough quality and managers will back you. That seems to be happening with Tom.

No one said the abuse at local lads is for being local, that’s just daft, the abuse is for not performing. The local lads just seem to get it more than any other, in my opinion due to not meeting the standards we expect from our young local talent. You said yourself the abuse Ross got wasn’t ok. Why didn’t Geri get the same abuse? Similar talent level, similar age, similar potential. 

23 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

again i repeat if he wore a different jersey he would be as meaningful to you as jake livermore is to west brom or whomever he plays for.

That's irrelevant to my post.

And to be fair Jake Livermore does a job for his club, or at least he did last season and that's why he ended up playing for England.

2 hours ago, StevO said:

You don’t see where he can improve? If you don’t think he’s that much of a telant then surely he can improve ALL aspects of his game? I don’t see why or how you can think a player doesn’t have the ability to improve. Even Thierry Henry said he was learning more and more well into his 30’s. Ossie, who I’ve already mentioned in here, only really become good enough at his mid 20’s and then for me improved almost every year until he got to about 31 when he then got a call up to the England team. 

They don’t have to be a top player at 18, 19, or even 23, just show enough quality and managers will back you. That seems to be happening with Tom.

No one said the abuse at local lads is for being local, that’s just daft, the abuse is for not performing. The local lads just seem to get it more than any other, in my opinion due to not meeting the standards we expect from our young local talent. You said yourself the abuse Ross got wasn’t ok. Why didn’t Geri get the same abuse? Similar talent level, similar age, similar potential. 

Ive not said I can't see how he can improve I've said numerous times I can't  see him improving to the point where he becomes anything  more than a squad player and I don't think he's currently at a standard to be starting games as he offers very little

Again something I've stated numerous times is that being or becoming a squad player isn'ttt a bad thing I've said in the match day threads and so on that he's done better recently and Silva has had a positive effect on his game

Slightly baffling comparing a player who clearly had the raw and natural ability of Henry who had the pace vision footwork finishing and many other attributes that Tom doesn't purely on the basis of age and development, the man already had that in his armoury it just needed polishing 

I don't want to sound like I'm bashing the lad but does he have pace does he have vision a wide range of passing ability the footwork and skill to beat players? No to me he has non of that, you've said yourself he could go onto being a steady squad player as I've said so I don't see the issue as I've agreed with you on that front

The last point is contradictory the way I read it but either way people have said the abuse they get is for being local and my point is that plays no part in my judgement of the lad or anyone else who I don't think is currently at the level where they should be starting games often, the local and age side of it may come into play with others but not myself 

Geri had his fair share of doubters and critics let's not brush that aside to make a case and he was similar to Barkely in the fact he has the ability but was frustrating with putting it all together, again with Geri his natural ability for the position he plays albeit different to Tom's is greater so he has a higher potential ceiling in my eyes 

Do I judge the lad more harshly because he's local no I'm not local myself so that sentiment plays no part in my reasoning

Do I take his age into account, yes as said he'll improve with experience but I don't think a great deal 

Do I think he's got the ability to go on and become a very good player no but as said multiple times a decent squad player 

Geez. We have some really talented young players right now, several still under 21, and all we can do is write them off because they don't play already like Messi! Personally, I fully support bringing Tom Davies and other youngsters through, trusting them as they gain experience, and giving them the freedom to fail. Not everyone on a team must be an instant superstar. Every team has its grafters, players who wear their heart on their sleeve and would give anything for the club. Let's encourage them, praise them, and give them the chance to succeed instead of dragging them down.

15 hours ago, EFC-Paul said:

Anyway it's flogging a dead horse now I get and respect people see him in a different light than I do no problems whatsoever and I'd be made up to be proved wrong 

Time will tell....

Yeah you're right it will. And to be fair I do let Barkley cloud my judgement on this because of all the shit that has happened to this club over the last two years, I rate him leaving the way he did as one of the worst, and I do think the flak he took off fans (not saying you or anyone on here personally) was a major contributing factor. That and Koeman being a fucking prick. 

Anyway, I'm glad we have a manager and DoF that appear to be prepared to trust in young players and invest in their development. 

Haven’t put much I out Into this thread as Nogs had pretty much summed up my own thoughts. 

We should just enjoy the fact that we are giving these young lads a chance. Some will make it, some won’t.

One hing people should consider though, is b coming a championship player is making it. Not many careers can compete with that level. 

On Davies, 

he has also had a successful career in the Wngland youth set up. He is in no way a bad player, but I also see why some do t see him improving much. I’m in the middle.

2 hours ago, Shukes said:

Haven’t put much I out Into this thread as Nogs had pretty much summed up my own thoughts. 

We should just enjoy the fact that we are giving these young lads a chance. Some will make it, some won’t.

One hing people should consider though, is b coming a championship player is making it. Not many careers can compete with that level. 

On Davies, 

he has also had a successful career in the Wngland youth set up. He is in no way a bad player, but I also see why some do t see him improving much. I’m in the middle.

And being in the middle at the moment, I think, is the right place to be, but looking optimistic rather than pessimistic 

35 minutes ago, Matt said:

And being in the middle at the moment, I think, is the right place to be, but looking optimistic rather than pessimistic 

I do think being in the England set up must show that a lot of people see potential in him.

Not all players have that raw potential. A lot of players progress slowly but surely. Let’s face it, at Everton we have watched many players take that route.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd just like to say that I thought he had a very good first half yesterday. Caught out of position a couple of times but played a big part in us being in control of things. I thought he used the ball well, and he intercepted the ball in dangerous situations for us.

Edit - Oh and he put in a lovely crunching tackle in that half too, which put a huge smile on my face :D 

3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I'd just like to say that I thought he had a very good first half yesterday. Caught out of position a couple of times but played a big part in us being in control of things. I thought he used the ball well, and he intercepted the ball in dangerous situations for us.

Edit - Oh and he put in a lovely crunching tackle in that half too, which put a huge smile on my face :D 

I echo this 

I'm not his biggest fan but he's had much better patches lately so every credit to the lad, hopefully he keeps developing and proves me wrong 👍

12 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Not so sure about that. But there’s no way Chalobah should be there before him. 

I think it's a bit of a joke when they bang on about English players not getting game time in the Prem then pick a kid playing in the Championship over lads who are playing week in week out in the top division. It sends out the wrong message, Dowell banged in a load of goals on the Championship last season, what has Mount done that he didn't? I'm not saying I'd stick Davies in the senior side either, but the likes of him and Lewis Cook should be in front of a kid who has never played a game in the Prem. 

Chalobah is a very odd decision tbh but Mount is a talent he has attributes Davies doesn't he's very Lampard/Gerrard esq  

Not saying Davies won't improve but as players and what they possess naturally is completely different, he'll go onto bigger things he's just stuck in the Chelsea waste pipe as many young lads are and have been 

21 hours ago, Bailey said:

At the moment though Mount has only proven it in the Championship. I am not saying he wont go on to do it in the Prem or internationally but there are a lot of promising young players that only ever become good championship players. A bit like Will Hughes really.

This will definitely be a situation more like Maddison 

Hughes was/is a flash in the pan highlight reel player was never much more this lad is a completely different type of player 

Agreed though it is only the Championship not that it isn'tt a tough and unforgiving league like but he does look very good