IGNORED

Tom Davies

If we can get a reasonable fee for Tom it may be time for him to move on in the summer, and bring in a fresh face instead. He had a great run of 3 or 4 games last year, but just does not seem to have that consistency about his game. He might do better in a team where he is on the team sheet week in week out. I don't think he is going to find that in a team who want to battle for European places.

It's a shame when a youngster doesn't quite make the grade required, as nothing more satisfying than seeing a young local player come through and make it to the very top. 

3 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

He definitely should have shot, but if he'd shot and not scored then he gets stick for that too.

When a goal isn't scored in that situation then I think he's damned either way.

It was obvious Mina was in an offside position and he had a clear sight of goal himself so there should have only been one thing going through his mind  and it was not to pass to Yerry

Maybe it’s a confidence thing but he should definitely have taken the shot on

4 hours ago, c1982 said:

Another way to look at it is why didn’t Mina run across Lindelof’s path? Would have been a certain pen or opened it up more for Davies.

4 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Also Mina had a clear look across the line. I understand he's not an attacker by nature, but he could've done a better job at staying on

Just watched it again on MotD and I think the pundits were spot on , Poor decision by Davies who basically bottled it

Tom Davies was clean through with only the keeper to beat and had all the time in the world, it shouldn’t matter what Mina was doing he has to take the shot

If his confidence is low it’s understandable but still a bad decision that has cost us two points 

4 hours ago, Btay said:

No issue with him passing. I think he showed composure and awareness. Mina more at fault for getting in front of him.

But that’s the thing he showed a complete lack of awareness, otherwise he would have realised that passing the ball forward to a teammate when you’re through one on one with the keeper was an obvious offside 🤷🏻‍♂️

As I say I just think he bottled it and didn’t fancy himself to score, it’s just the sign of a player low on confidence

Do you think if that had fallen to Townsend he would have passed in that situation?

2 minutes ago, London Blue said:

A player low on confidence believes they will not score, so what do they do, shoot and not score and get slated for missing an easy chance, or put the ball accross the face of goal and create a chance for someone else.

What we need to do is build players confidences so they want to take that shot on.

That is very easy to answer, he passed it forward to a player clearly offside so the chance is gone. There is only one thing he should be doing and that is shooting

I agree it’s the managers job, and to a lesser extent the crowds job , to help him get his confidence back and I think the best way to do that is to get him a loan move to a Championship side so he can hit the rest button and play week in week out and get his career back on track because it’s stalling badly at the moment. The only problem with that is we are so low on squad numbers we need all the bodies we can get

I’ve followed his career quite closely because he caught my eye as a real prospect when playing in an U18’s derby and I still believe there is a good player in there but he is stagnating at the moment, if anything his career is going backwards so I would like to see us get a top midfielder in January and then ship him out on loan

It was tough because a forward player would have known to stay level. But Davies should have played it more square. Let's just say it was a missed opportunity.

I have also followed Davies's career to and I agree with you to a large extent. Managers have wanted other options in midfield, yet kept Tom around as cover. This has hurt his development as he is denied the first team football he needs.

A loan would be great, although I think he needs a Premier league loan. Would do him the world of good to show what he can do as a regular starter. I agree there is a good player in there.

10 minutes ago, MC11 said:

Awful decision making in front of goal there. Agree he’s a player lacking confidence but that’s because he’s playing in the wrong league. A career in the championship would be best suited at this present time 

How do we know if he is a premier league player unless he plays regularly for a premier league team 🤔 

There has been interest for him from premier league teams.

On 03/10/2021 at 16:52, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

But that’s the thing he showed a complete lack of awareness, otherwise he would have realised that passing the ball forward to a teammate when you’re through one on one with the keeper was an obvious offside 🤷🏻‍♂️

As I say I just think he bottled it and didn’t fancy himself to score, it’s just the sign of a player low on confidence

Do you think if that had fallen to Townsend he would have passed in that situation?

The best teams score tap in goals all the time like that. Still got no issue with him and his decision to be honest, can fully understand it.

5 hours ago, Btay said:

The best teams score tap in goals all the time like that. Still got no issue with him and his decision to be honest, can fully understand it.

Whilst the offside rule may well not apply to some of the Sky 6 alas we have to play by the rules, and it was a clear offside as soon as he passed it forward. He may as well have just picked the ball up and handed it to the keeper 

I definitely think it is a confidence issue. I don't dislike the thought of passing in that situation as such, but it was clear to every man and his dog that Mina was well ahead of the Utd players and Davies had a great angle for the shot.

It's a shame because it would have been great for him to have scored and for us to get the win over United, but it is certainly not something I would lay into him for. I bet he hits it next time.

As a regularly watcher of the U23 in the years before covid, remember watching Tom and thinking bit of a headless chicken but could be coached into a role, unsure which (still am) and thought that he needed a League 1 loan, now that was around 5 years ago and I fear it's now too late for him, I hope not because as he's a local lad I want him to succeed, I was hoping he could be an Ossie type for us, kind of useful to have around and probably one of the first names on the bench, but as time goes on I don't think he makes the bench so a move maybe best for his career, because I don't think he will be anything more than a squad filler here. I don't think it's Toms fault but moreso over the last 5 years or so the club hasn't done the best for Tom, constant managerial upheavel or for what ever reason he never got the loan that, to me, he so desperately needed.

I hope Rafa can make a player of him as there was a  couple of months under CA where he was probably our best player in the awful dross we were served up in our fall to 10th.

Just bit of context on my view of players around the same time we had Liam Walsh who I enjoyed watching and thought he maybe the next Arteta.

7 hours ago, Btay said:

Was very unfortunate that Mina impeded Lindelöf who was trying to get back to cover, if he hadn't Lindelöf might well have played him on.