IGNORED

Tom Davies

3 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Dunc.  3 articles saying how great he is at being a one man welcoming committee, popular nice bloke and all round good egg 

Not disputing that for one second.  I've already said - a great captain isn't necessarily popular. 

Probably epitomises Everton really, really good at all the community stuff and PR.  Just not won anything in years. 

Take it you never read the articles then? 

Helping new players feel welcome and settle in quickly is just one small part of what he does well as a captain, he is also a model pro and a perfect role model on and off the pitch , both very important traits for a captain in my book

But as the articles point out that’s not the only thing he does well

You seem to have ignored this bit 

Seamus Coleman had to stick that ball up his jumper and head for the try line like we were playing the Georgian rugby team, but for all of the comical ugliness of that goal, it summed up the will to win of Killybegs man as he was just not going to be stopped.

My season ticket for Ireland games places me behind the goal to the right as you look from the TV cameras, almost as far away from Seamus Coleman as I can be when Ireland are attacking into us (and when he's not celebrating goals in front of us like he was that time), but I can still hear his trademark high-pitched yelp louder than anything else

You'd hear it watching Everton games too, it's unmistakable. A constant. Keeping his teammates, and the ref, on their toes.

We were crying out for Seamus in Tbilisi on Saturday. Not only because he's our best player, but because he would have told the midfielders to show for the bloody ball, and if they didn't he'd go and do it himself.

Is that not what you are lauding Van Dyke for?

https://www.evertonfc.com/news/2062978/ancelotti-compares-fantastic-everton-captain-coleman-to-trio-of-greats

I could probably find hundreds of example of Seamus being praised as a leader by his peers for his actions o  the pitch so it’s a bit more than a one man welcoming committee 

I really don’t get your correlation between being a good captain and winning trophies, was Mick Lyons a good captain?

Was Terry Butcher a good captain for England? 

1 hour ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Take it you never read the articles then? 

Helping new players feel welcome and settle in quickly is just one small part of what he does well as a captain, he is also a model pro and a perfect role model on and off the pitch , both very important traits for a captain in my book

But as the articles point out that’s not the only thing he does well

You seem to have ignored this bit 

Seamus Coleman had to stick that ball up his jumper and head for the try line like we were playing the Georgian rugby team, but for all of the comical ugliness of that goal, it summed up the will to win of Killybegs man as he was just not going to be stopped.

My season ticket for Ireland games places me behind the goal to the right as you look from the TV cameras, almost as far away from Seamus Coleman as I can be when Ireland are attacking into us (and when he's not celebrating goals in front of us like he was that time), but I can still hear his trademark high-pitched yelp louder than anything else

You'd hear it watching Everton games too, it's unmistakable. A constant. Keeping his teammates, and the ref, on their toes.

We were crying out for Seamus in Tbilisi on Saturday. Not only because he's our best player, but because he would have told the midfielders to show for the bloody ball, and if they didn't he'd go and do it himself.

Is that not what you are lauding Van Dyke for?

https://www.evertonfc.com/news/2062978/ancelotti-compares-fantastic-everton-captain-coleman-to-trio-of-greats

I could probably find hundreds of example of Seamus being praised as a leader by his peers for his actions o  the pitch so it’s a bit more than a one man welcoming committee 

I really don’t get your correlation between being a good captain and winning trophies, was Mick Lyons a good captain?

Was Terry Butcher a good captain for England? 

You mean Carlo Ancellotti who lauded Tom Davies as a quality player who reminded him of himself?

The other article is by Patrick Boyland an Irish Everton fan.... It comes at absolutely no surprise to me in the same way you never seen US Everton fans be critical of Tim Howard.

Seamus Coleman is not the reason we are are shit - spineless players are.  

Coleman's stock plummeted when he cupped his ears to the gwladys street after literally stinking the gaff out for weeks.  The fans had been patient band supportive of him after his double break.  

Fact is he's not good enough to be playing never mind Captain the club.   Hardly in a position to give out bollockings when you've been sent the shop by Josh King.  

3 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

You mean Carlo Ancellotti who lauded Tom Davies as a quality player who reminded him of himself?

The other article is by Patrick Boyland an Irish Everton fan.... It comes at absolutely no surprise to me in the same way you never seen US Everton fans be critical of Tim Howard.

Seamus Coleman is not the reason we are are shit - spineless players are.  

Coleman's stock plummeted when he cupped his ears to the gwladys street after literally stinking the gaff out for weeks.  The fans had been patient band supportive of him after his double break.  

Fact is he's not good enough to be playing never mind Captain the club.   Hardly in a position to give out bollockings when you've been sent the shop by Josh King.  

You mean you’ve had it in for him since he cupped his ears, it’s your opinion nothing more

I agree he isn’t the player he once was and has needed replacing for a while now, what I’m disputing is his influence as a captain

People close to him , both senior pros and young youth team players at both club and international level and all the managers he has played for rate him highly as a captain so he must be doing something right 

Anyway that’s my last on it

9 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

You mean you’ve had it in for him since he cupped his ears, it’s your opinion nothing more

I agree he isn’t the player he once was and has needed replacing for a while now, what I’m disputing is his influence as a captain

People close to him , both senior pros and young youth team players at both club and international level and all the managers he has played for rate him highly as a captain so he must be doing something right 

Anyway that’s my last on it

Not really no.... If you wanna give it some to the fans then do it - but make sure that you ain't gonna blot your copy book.

To me he's someone who like to give it the honest words after a poor performance...... "We need to look at ourselves".... How many versions though?

Oh he can get animated alright with the fans, but when his teammates are quarrelling over taking a set piece he's quiet......  He can give it to the fans when we score and after a bad substitution but no answers for being part of a shite defence. 

You will have to do some seriously good research to find articles slating someone as a captain.....nearly every single captain in the game has someone saying something nice about them even if they are crap 

1 hour ago, MC11 said:

Anyone in this group “pretending” Tom Davies is at premiership footballer level needs to have a word with themselves. 

Just how long can he get away with being a fraud? 

Coleman is the least of our worries with this lad in the squad! 

A bit harsh. He's here and in the squad and right now we need all the players we have. His chance to step up to the plate and show what he can do, if not it's up to the club to get rid if they don't think he's up to it.

2 hours ago, MC11 said:

Anyone in this group “pretending” Tom Davies is at premiership footballer level needs to have a word with themselves. 

Just how long can he get away with being a fraud? 

Coleman is the least of our worries with this lad in the squad! 

Fraud, really. The guy came through the Everton youth system, plays to the best of his ability. Not the most skillful player but is a useful squad player. Is most effective in a midfield 3.

The word fraud I would reserve for people like Delph, not Everton players giving their all, no matter how limited, for the team they love.

We have back up in midfield, we have none at right and left back.

Honestly I like Tom Davies, but I can't see him cutting it for us. I still think he'd be a player who is able to play at this level, but not at the end of the table we want to be at. At 23 he's made 139 appearances for us, and hasn't improved. How long should be given to him to prove he is good enough? I'd imagine if he wasn't as influential in the dressing room as he is he might have been sold by now.

13 hours ago, London Blue said:

Fraud, really. The guy came through the Everton youth system, plays to the best of his ability. Not the most skillful player but is a useful squad player. Is most effective in a midfield 3.

The word fraud I would reserve for people like Delph, not Everton players giving their all, no matter how limited, for the team they love.

We have back up in midfield, we have none at right and left back.

I agree he isn't a fraud, there is no doubt the lad is trying his best however if he can't come in and play the way we want to play then he isn't a useful squad player.

8 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I agree he isn't a fraud, there is no doubt the lad is trying his best however if he can't come in and play the way we want to play then he isn't a useful squad player.

Thats a matter of opinion, if you want a player to play in a midfield 3 who can pass, tackle and screen the defence by cutting off passing lanes then he is useful.

He is not so good in a midfield 2. 

My thoughts.....

If you haven't got a good back 4, which we haven't, and you haven't got good strikers - which we haven't..... Then 

You really need a strong midfield.  If Doucore and Allan are fit then we do.....  Take either of them out and we don't.

Davies is not the answer - with Doucoure out he is a very poor replacement.... Gbamin would be my punt.  If he can't step up then he needs to be sold 

I said when we bought Allan that we could have done with hojiberg as well not instead of.. It seems to be the case.

Would love Gana to be back to win the ball and set up counter attacks. 

37 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

My thoughts.....

If you haven't got a good back 4, which we haven't, and you haven't got good strikers - which we haven't..... Then 

You really need a strong midfield.  If Doucore and Allan are fit then we do.....  Take either of them out and we don't.

Davies is not the answer - with Doucoure out he is a very poor replacement.... Gbamin would be my punt.  If he can't step up then he needs to be sold 

I said when we bought Allan that we could have done with hojiberg as well not instead of.. It seems to be the case.

Would love Gana to be back to win the ball and set up counter attacks. 

I agree, like for like Davies is not the answer, but if we play a 3 in midfield with Gomes and Gambin or Davies then our midfield is strengthend. Lets face it we have always looked better with three in midfield in recent seasons, its only when we signed Alan and Doucoure that we have been able to play 2 in midfield.

1 minute ago, London Blue said:

I agree, like for like Davies is not the answer, but if we play a 3 in midfield with Gomes and Gambin or Davies then our midfield is strengthend. Lets face it we have always looked better with three in midfield in recent seasons, its only when we signed Alan and Doucoure that we have been able to play 2 in midfield.

It can't be overstated how unbalanced and weak our squad is. 

2 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Gbamin would be my punt.  If he can't step up then he needs to be sold 

All well and good wanting him to be sold, not so simple to find someone to buy a player on good money who’s barely kicked a ball for two years. 

Anyway, we’ll see how he is at Premier League level in about an hour. 

6 hours ago, London Blue said:

Thats a matter of opinion, if you want a player to play in a midfield 3 who can pass, tackle and screen the defence by cutting off passing lanes then he is useful.

He is not so good in a midfield 2. 

I don't think he is good enough at any of those things. 

I see him as a last resort. 

• 2 weeks later...