IGNORED

2016 Summer Transfer Window

Too old? at what? 28?

I'm 32, I'm finished!

To be serious, Barry is 34 (I think), i'm sure we could get three or four good years out of Witsel. The way Mata plays its not like hes going to lose pace. We only need to be looking at getting three years out of these lads.

I'm turning 33 in a few weeks, and until the new money I was still holding out hope for a 3 year contract.

That is an issue and I think it's the element that some fans will find uncomfotable.

If you want the top top talent, realistically are they going to join mid-table Everton (who?) and their currently lack of European football? If you can't convince them, you then just throw tonnes of cash around hoping that some stick. That of course leads to players being branded 'money merchants' and take flack for not being career (but money) focused.

That's why IMO, we need a signing like Mata. Someone who's been sounded out as a top player who may leave his current club and circumstance (lives in the North West, owns a restaurant, family are now settled after a northerly move from London) fall in our favour. He's semi-realistic but EXACTLY the person we NEED, not just want. Top player, awesome person (multi reports of him being a genuinely nice guy (won't upset the applecart even being on to dollar)), a 'name' that will help convince other 'names' to join this "project".

Witsel isn't enough of a name for me and although he would certainly be a vast improvement on what we have/had (Osman), his name alone isn't going to sway any decision makers. The approach has to still be careful. We're better looking for:

A ) Unsettled stars, who are very good but their moves haven't worked out / circumstances changed and wouldn't mind a release of pressure by trying to get first team football again, out of the big club's lion pits (Mata, James, Ter Stegen...)

B ) Young, exciting players with genuine talent who are at clubs / in leagues that aren't deemed as 'desirable', so fancy challenging themselves by playing in the top top leagues.

I, like a few others, don't want mercenaries but I do understand the reasons for breaking the wage bracket so dramatically. We have to, to survive. New level/caliber of player are available for the mega rich of the premier league (goes for all teams) and we need to be ahead of the likes of Stoke, West Ham, Southampton). We HAVE to be a step up, a potential challenger for European places. All of those I just listed have spent money, they have SMASHED their own respective wage brackets and they've finished about us the last two seasons. We have to decimate them to compete. We have to be on par with Liverpool, Tottenham, even Arsenal (Chelsea, United and City are just too far ahead at present) to really get where we want to be.

Moshiri doesn't seem like a silly man, nor do I believe he'll blow his money willy nilly. He would like a 'cushion' in the form of an experienced Director of Football to manage the expenditure, but I think Koeman also isn't a 'cash splasher' and will hopefully stay safe until one is appointed.

Do it as we've always done Everton. This time you have the money to ACTUALLY complete the transfers (no excuses like Mouthino). I believe in you gents. Now go get Mata. He should be the Priority for more than just his footballing ability.

I'm not that excited. Witsel isn't that good, and both are too old for the money we will get them.

Witsel is head and shoulders above anything we've got in the middle at the moment. Can go both ways, we've been crying out for that in the middle!

I'd go for one big name signing to show intent and give RK till Christmas to work with the current group of players, hopefully bringing out in some what Martinez couldn't or had stifled and giving youth a chance. Why blow his budget now? By then if we're doing well, which I think we will, as a fitter more disciplined squad we ought to be attractive to players who buy into where EFC is going.

I'd go for one big name signing to show intent and give RK till Christmas to work with the current group of players, hopefully bringing out in some what Martinez couldn't or had stifled and giving youth a chance. Why blow his budget now? By then if we're doing well, which I think we will, as a fitter more disciplined squad we ought to be attractive to players who buy into where EFC is going.

im hoping for 3-4 this summer with 1-2 big names in January to ease the transition. Said it before, but too many new faces to a club is detrimental to the squad, especially having released so of the mainstays of the dressing room

I don't know, I would like building young and talented squad of players at the age of 20-23, who can jump straight into the first team. There are so many around the world, for example looking at Portugal there are William Carvalho or Joao Mario both from Sporting or Ruben Neves from FCP, excellent midfielders. I'm sure we can get one of them for the Witsel's money but on smaller wage, and pretty sure they will be better than him in season or two, if they are not yet at his level. For the rest of the squad I would welcome some experienced players who will come cheap like Snejder. And please, Koeman don't splash out 20M for Pele, please!

That sort of team building is almost impossible at a competitive league like the Premier League because you end up paying for their potential as well meaning your team almost certainly is not as good quality-wise as otherwise. And how many times have teams succeeded with just young players? Ferguson did use a lot of players coming through the youth system but he also signed some experienced players who were key to their success in the 90's.

As for signing players from Portugal and expecting success - Liverpool signed Markovic from there and he's exactly of the profile you are suggesting (young, promising).

I don't know, I would like building young and talented squad of players at the age of 20-23, who can jump straight into the first team. There are so many around the world, for example looking at Portugal there are William Carvalho or Joao Mario both from Sporting or Ruben Neves from FCP, excellent midfielders. I'm sure we can get one of them for the Witsel's money but on smaller wage, and pretty sure they will be better than him in season or two, if they are not yet at his level. For the rest of the squad I would welcome some experienced players who will come cheap like Snejder. And please, Koeman don't splash out 20M for Pele, please!

Do you not want to spend £20m on Pelle becuase he has a year on his contract, or because you dont rate him?

I dont think £20m is a sensible fee for a player in the last year of their contract, however Pelle as a player would be a class signing for the club. He would allow us to add a whole other dimension to our play. It'd be so beneficial to us to have one striker who wants to get in behind all the time and use his pace and power to score goals, and another one who wants to bring midfielders into play, with his back to goal, but can chip in with an goal every now and then and someone who is also a threat during set pieces.

With a year left on his contract I would like us to seriously look into snapping him up, I'd certainly think £10-15m would be an acceptable amount for him.

Is mate any good mate.

He's pretty average. Midfielder for Osasuna and valued at just £1.3m

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/oier/profil/spieler/63040

That joke is nowhere near good enough to justify the 5 minutes I spent looking for a player with "mate" in his name and then typing out this comment.

Edited by Mirallas

Tbh, I'm bored of being linked with players. We should be, and need to be IMO, making signings now. With pre-season games so close, and us having a new manager, I would've thought it imperative that we get players in early.

I'm not having a moan or panicking or anything like that, I'm just surprised that we haven't brought in at least one major signing yet. By major I don't even mean an expensive player, I just mean a player that will come into the first 11. Instead our only signing is a goalkeeper that will hopefully barely see any game time whatsoever.

I think (more like hope :lol:) we'll get one over the line this week.

Edited by Romey 1878

Tbh, I'm bored of being linked with players. We should be, and need to be IMO, making signings now. With pre-season games so close, and us having a new manager, I would've thought it imperative that we get players in early.

I'm not having a moan or panicking or anything like that, I'm just surprised that we haven't brought in at least one major signing yet. By major I don't even mean an expensive player, I just mean a player that will come into the first 11. Instead our only signing is a goalkeeper that will hopefully barely see any game time whatsoever.

I think (more like hope :lol) we'll get one over the line this week.

This exactly for me.

Same for me. Expected a little more by now.

Even if we do get a few other the line, all feels familiar Everton.

Maybe Koeman wanted an opportunity to closely vet the players we do have, before cutting some of them and identifying positions in need. Which would obviously be the more sensible route, it's just not as exciting for fans :lol:

Same for me. Expected a little more by now.

Even if we do get a few other the line, all feels familiar Everton.

Maybe Koeman wanted an opportunity to closely vet the players we do have, before cutting some of them and identifying positions in need. Which would obviously be the more sensible route, it's just not as exciting for fans :lol:

He's watched us enough times as an opposition manager to know our weaknesses. We are shite at transfers, we always have been, we drag things on and on it took us 3 weeks to get Koeman after his agent said he was coming. ??

The impression I get about our previous problems with transfer, is that we were 'too nice'. We got walked over by agents and players during the final stages of negotiations/talks, by other clubs offering slightly better money or 'guarantees'.

We need to be more ruthless, maybe we're doing some very shrewd business and don't want to alert others about our dealings.

It is annoying like.

Didn't he say this in one of his first interviews? He needs to see the squad in training and then work out what he needs?

He should have just asked us!!

Most the players we're being linked to have been at the Euro's so wouldn't be joining the squad yet anyway.

I'm personally feeling very optimistic about this summer and don't think there's anything to panic about. I expect some quality to come in and that may take a little bit of convincing and negotiating.

I'm not panicked.

Euros just finished.

Pre season only just started. Koeman needs to see the players in action. Speak to them. Suss out their personalities. See how they can fit in with his plans/vision/style whatever.

Obviously there are 'marquee' type signings you can make that walk into most teams. But generally, our squad is of a very good standard so we aren't absolutely desperate overall...except the obvious one or two positions.

If those positions so obviously need to be filled why would Koeman need time to judge if they need to be filled? Mike's not around so someone's got to do it :P.

Haha.

Well, he's not judging for those positions. He's finding the perfect fit! The others are on trial....so to speak!!!

Nobody does Mike like Mike.