IGNORED

Dominic Calvert-Lewin

8 hours ago, Palfy said:

We are trying to play with an out an out striker who is struggling to have any impact on the the game, do we have long enough left to keep playing him in the hope he finds his form, the first half as a team against Villa we didn’t create enough chances for DCL in the box, but in the second half it was a different story Gordon on his own put 5 decent balls into the area and DCL was no where no any of them that’s concerning. I agree with you he is the only option if you are going to play to his strengths but when he is so obviously struggling we need to change our approach, and I would go with Gray up top with Richarlison and Gordon and Townsend out wide, it would give us a better mix of options in stead of just trying to hit DCL in the area who is so out of form he’s not showing or making the runs required to get on the end of the crosse’s. So for me don’t play the same way with Rondon in his place that won’t work, we need to change the system to suit the players that are showing the most form and desire. 

Well his form certainly won’t change if he’s not on the pitch. I wouldn’t start playing wingers up front in the hope they do better, I just don’t see that working. I fully expect a couple of games with a manager with a tactical plan will see Dom scoring goals again. 

6 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

I'm neutral on this one. In his earlier starts for Everton, I thought he was underrated. At this point in time, it's possible he's a little overrated (such has been his rise in stock). Should we sell? For something like £40m plus Nketiah (since we'd need an immediate replacement), I'd be tempted. Really, though, if not too late, the new manager should have their say.

Nketiah is awful, Steve.

Definitely a Championship striker... on second thoughts, that's likely to be the league we're in anyway.

48 minutes ago, StevO said:

Well his form certainly won’t change if he’s not on the pitch. I wouldn’t start playing wingers up front in the hope they do better, I just don’t see that working. I fully expect a couple of games with a manager with a tactical plan will see Dom scoring goals again. 

He could play in the U23s to get his match fitness up and his eye in, instead we’ve thrown him back on when he’s no where near up to speed, if people believe that’s the best we can do then god help us we can keep repeating the same shit every week and disappear into the Championship. You don’t have to be 6ft2 to play up front Richarlison would still offer the heading ability, and imo opinion Gray could do a stellar job in unison with Richarlison, he knows where the goal is he has a good touch and movement he could easily be another Cottee or Inchy for us when we need it, DCL has regressed to the player of 2-3 years ago he’s miles away of being the player he was last season and hasn’t shown anything in the last 3-4 games that it’s coming back anytime soon, can we really afford to wait and hope he turns the corner soon, personally I don’t think we can we need goals now to win games not in 4-5 weeks. 

50 minutes ago, Palfy said:

He could play in the U23s to get his match fitness up and his eye in, instead we’ve thrown him back on when he’s no where near up to speed, if people believe that’s the best we can do then god help us we can keep repeating the same shit every week and disappear into the Championship. You don’t have to be 6ft2 to play up front Richarlison would still offer the heading ability, and imo opinion Gray could do a stellar job in unison with Richarlison, he knows where the goal is he has a good touch and movement he could easily be another Cottee or Inchy for us when we need it, DCL has regressed to the player of 2-3 years ago he’s miles away of being the player he was last season and hasn’t shown anything in the last 3-4 games that it’s coming back anytime soon, can we really afford to wait and hope he turns the corner soon, personally I don’t think we can we need goals now to win games not in 4-5 weeks. 

He’s only a few games back after four months out, and as you said, he’s been thrown back in before he’s up to speed. Think you’re being very harsh on him. 
Its not a case of wait and hope he turns a corner, it’s a case of he’s our only striker as Rondon shouldn’t even be an option and fuck knows about Cenk. 
Richarlison has very rarely performed up front, the odd occasion aside, and Gray hasn’t been a striker in his career so far. If you were to suggest Simms or Dobbin I’d probably say yeah give it a go, but playing people out of position in the hope it fixes a problem just isn’t a route that I like. 

edit: I’d have also liked to have seen him do a few games in the under 23s before he came back. But he was Rafas only play to fix the season, so he put him in as soon as he could. It wasn’t a good move. 

2 hours ago, StevO said:

He’s only a few games back after four months out, and as you said, he’s been thrown back in before he’s up to speed. Think you’re being very harsh on him. 
Its not a case of wait and hope he turns a corner, it’s a case of he’s our only striker as Rondon shouldn’t even be an option and fuck knows about Cenk. 
Richarlison has very rarely performed up front, the odd occasion aside, and Gray hasn’t been a striker in his career so far. If you were to suggest Simms or Dobbin I’d probably say yeah give it a go, but playing people out of position in the hope it fixes a problem just isn’t a route that I like. 

edit: I’d have also liked to have seen him do a few games in the under 23s before he came back. But he was Rafas only play to fix the season, so he put him in as soon as he could. It wasn’t a good move. 

All I can really say to that is desperate times take desperate measures and if you aren’t prepared to change the players and set up you may find you run out of time and don’t get the opportunity to do so later. I didn’t feel like I have been harsh on DCL he was poor again against Villa he knows he should be doing a lot better you can see it in face and mannerisms, how long do you proceed going down a route that isn’t coming off. 

3 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

The really frustrating thing is that we've had many weeks to experiment with our younger strikers. Instead, we wasted it by playing an older China league player who won't be in any future plans.

And was consistently dog shit, adding nothing to our game, once Dobbin and Simms were fit they should have been given more opportunity.

If I am honest, after watching the U23 game, I am not surprised Rondon is ahead of them both. 

I get that Rondon isn't good enough and that the younger lads are the future, but I really dont see Simms having a long-term future here and Dobbin isnt going to be able to lead the line on his own at the moment. 

Ultimately we need to bring in two strikers if Dom goes, subject to how we view Richarlison under the new manager.

On a side note, I think Richarlison is at risk of being a bit positionless. Can he spearhead an attack? Can he play wide? Does he have to be a second striker to be most effective and if so, can we really play with a second striker because it means you lose a man in midfield? 

sounds like unlikely to be fit for Newcastle but not certain.

To be honest I was liking the idea of Gray, Richarlison and Gordon leading the attack on Saturday anyway for the pace of attack and that Brentford are decent in the air anyway but DCL is a preference generally.

Though Richarlison isn't an out and out poacher like DCL I think he is more than capable of playing centre forward with 2 attackers like Gordon and Gray to his side and with the support of Ali/VDB behind him.  He is well capable of finishing crosses and getting in to good spaces in the box, the only thing i'd say is that he puts in a lot of work chasing and may leave the box empty when you want someone there.

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

Honestly, I look forward to seeing him in the team with this new attacking intent. 
Same with all the new players as well. 
Going to be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Thing is they can’t all play at the same time, so who do you drop for a very under par DCL? 

4 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

What a contrast from the previous manager's approach, who pretty much admitted that his strategy was to get the ball to Calvert-Lewin so he could score. It's stupid to pursue a strategy that's so dependent on one player.

I don’t think he did tbf, if you look at the way we were playing at the start of the season there was definitely a plan to give Doucoure more freedom and get him in and around the box to score and/ or create 

When everyone was fit if anything his strategy was to set us ups as a counter attacking team who could break at speed such as the goal we got away to United

7 hours ago, Palfy said:

Thing is they can’t all play at the same time, so who do you drop for a very under par DCL? 

I would wait till he is fit, as he is our best forward. 
But if he were fit, then Gordon and Richie fight for a place, with Dom up top.

To be fair, he has been just as on par as every player other than Gray until yesterday. But that’s the point…. I’m excited to see what Lampards effect has on him.

• 2 weeks later...