IGNORED

Wayne Rooney

4 hours ago, hafnia said:

You should post a link to this comment that you made Brett.... 

I don't think it would have made you a football genius.... a fair few on here have been saying baines had lost his legs for quite some time. 

Saved you a job....

Me and tallpaul called it on 10th November last year.  

Very sad to see... probably my favourite player over past 10 years. A gent... class act. 

I'd just thought I'd big my shit up. Something you seem to every single post.

16 hours ago, c1982 said:

I thought he was trudging around - he did throw a couple of tackles in but kept doing silly little mistake laced passes - putting us into trouble. He and Baines down the left just slowed everything down on too many occasions. Maybe it was just me but I thought he stunk the place out.

I agree. No impact whatsoever. Yes he got back and jumped into tackles but he didn' contribute anything in attack, his main Job

4 hours ago, Paddock said:

It would help if we had cover at left back- still can’t fathom how Garbutt never got a squad number when we had zero other left backs meaning Baines could have een asked to play 60 plus games this season if we’d of progressed in the Europa etc.

This is the biggest.  Baines looked good early season IMO but he has been asked to play too many games and if his legs hadn't gone before, they definitely are now. 

2 minutes ago, mcirony said:

We could afford to carry Rooneys lack of pace if we had lots more pace elsewhere. Unfortunately we don't - unless we play Lennon/Lookman and DCL, which means dropping Sigurdsson.

for me that's the only place to play him anymore, either in the 10 (remove gylfi) or in the 6 (remove davies).  he can pass and press a bit, but he shouldn't be anywhere near that front line.

It's frustrating as you can tell his brain is still quick, it's his body that lets him down. He gets pissed off with himself when he places a bad pass or had a bad touch, it's as if what used to come so naturally is now not a given. If he looked after himself (likes Giggs) he'd still be absolute class, sadly he looks ten years older than he is! 

1 hour ago, BedfordBlue said:

That little chipped pass to where there wasn't an everton player in site was magical I hate Rooney more now than when he played for United I find myself hoping he will get injured every game. A complete waste of space 

Beni didn't see the pass coming, if he does and he takes a few steps forwards the ball stays in possession and all looks good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wish we had more players that passionate.... ahem.... who GET THE CLUB! Passion and heart is hat has always made Everton great and I hope that it never changes.

A message to our fans as well. Don’t give up and accept the club as a business rather than a Football club. You may as well go and support Tesco’s or Aldis, there are in the move. 

Love Football, use Sure! Wear Nike, just do it! Believe the children are our future!

Rooney likes to roam the pitch, and he seems to have enough energy left to be pretty effective doing so.  I doubt he has enough left to play, say, 3 matches in 8 days, but with proper rest, he’s still a creator and goalscorer.

For me, this means his role can’t be accurately reflected in any numerical formation.  In a 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-3-2, he could be listed as the 10, but Sigurdsson would be as or more likely to play in that area of the pitch.  Or, in a 4-2-3-1, he could be listed as a DM with Gana or McCarthy (.....), but he’d actually play in front of the actual single DM.  That DM - Gana is the obvious example - simply must stay back to help the back line.  (Gana, an anti-Rooney, is neither creator nor goalscorer.  He’s a disrupter, but when, Rooney-like, he roams, he sometimes disrupts his own team, in missing a tackle and allowing our already-porous defense less help.)

4 minutes ago, Elston Gunnn said:

Rooney likes to roam the pitch, and he seems to have enough energy left to be pretty effective doing so.  I doubt he has enough left to play, say, 3 matches in 8 days, but with proper rest, he’s still a creator and goalscorer.

For me, this means his role can’t be accurately reflected in any numerical formation.  In a 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-3-2, he could be listed as the 10, but Sigurdsson would be as or more likely to play in that area of the pitch.  Or, in a 4-2-3-1, he could be listed as a DM with Gana or McCarthy (.....), but he’d actually play in front of the actual single DM.  That DM - Gana is the obvious example - simply must stay back to help the back line.  (Gana, an anti-Rooney, is neither creator nor goalscorer.  He’s a disrupter, but when, Rooney-like, he roams, he sometimes disrupts his own team, in missing a tackle and allowing our already-porous defense less help.)

So in other words you're saying... Play him in centre mid. Because then he gets to do a bit of everything, which is what has made many great CMs over the years great. 

24 minutes ago, nogs said:

So in other words you're saying... Play him in centre mid. Because then he gets to do a bit of everything, which is what has made many great CMs over the years great. 

Yes, and since this role is tough to represent in standard numerical formations, the reality of Rooney’s role looks something like this.

GK

4 defenders

Single DM (who mostly stays back)

Rooney Rooney Rooney

Rooney     Rooney

4 attackers 

And yes... Friday evening, been to the pub with mates to tell them what a shit week I’ve had with various tradesmen..... stressed out, broke and cold......

this is how it feels to be... an Everton fannnn... this is how it feels to be down, this is how it feels when your world feels fucked and small!!!!

sorry.

3 hours ago, Shukes said:

Ahem!

Back to Rooney. He isn’t fast enough to play up top anymore and sitting back a bit where he can dictate the pace of a game is much better for him. 

My only worry would be when we play against faster more mobile midfields, he may be lost chasing shadows.

This did happen against West Ham too and I think it has been overlooked a little. He gave a foul away raking down someone's achillies because he had just easily run past him. 

2 hours ago, TallPaul1878 said:

If he is to play deeper in a more central midfield position then he HAS to cut out the mistakes.

A couple of games he has been caught out trying things on the edge of our own box. A little ball flicked over a player that didn't come of or a cross field pass that has been picked off.

Against West Ham he was imperious. He can obviously do it but I've seen a few clangers from him this season and some have directly led to us conceding a goal.

In any competitive game you cannot make mistakes

Spot on. He just seems to switch off for some reason and that' not what you would expect from someone so experienced.