IGNORED

Wayne Rooney

25 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

I'm almost embarrassed to say this, but I never got in any kind of trouble as a kid. I was too wrapped up in maths and music and chess to get in trouble. Very competitive in sport, but not unnecessarily aggressive. The one illegal thing I did was during my PhD years. A union went on strike just days before student final exams, effectively closing access to the library. As a researcher, I could still enter, so I organized a scheme whereby students could write on paper the books they needed, I would retrieve them and pass them out through a backdoor letterbox. Every student brought back every book once the strike was over.

There is not a single part of this that I find surprising :lol: 

20 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

You may :) but I rarely use my title these days: It comes across as rather pretentious.

Plus, when I checked in for a flight in Philadelphia, the agent behind the counter started going on about her bad back, and I couldn't understand why. Then it dawned on me: She saw in my profile the title Dr and assumed I was a medical doctor. I just told her to take some ibuprofen and to see her doctor if things flared up. :) But then I realized it could get rather serious. What if I was on a flight and the stewardesses thought I could help in a medical emergency? I went home and removed the title Dr from my profile.

what is it in by the way, mine is in applied biology, but I still class myself as an aircraft electrical engineer.

18 minutes ago, rubecula said:

what is it in by the way, mine is in applied biology, but I still class myself as an aircraft electrical engineer.

Fine particle magnetism. There were three parts to my work: intense computer modeling (which took a lot of time, turned me into a programmer, and therefore got me my first real job); multi-dimensional calculus (especially applied to modified Bessel functions and various series); and making magnetic fluids. I did manage to effectively blow up a lab at one time, which caused a bit of a stir.

1 hour ago, Cornish Steve said:

Fine particle magnetism. There were three parts to my work: intense computer modeling (which took a lot of time, turned me into a programmer, and therefore got me my first real job); multi-dimensional calculus (especially applied to modified Bessel functions and various series); and making magnetic fluids. I did manage to effectively blow up a lab at one time, which caused a bit of a stir.

Blow up a lab :lol:  umm who has not done that ?:unsure:  I have been thrown out of lectures for disrupting the room too.  I had everyone crying with laughter to the point that the prof wanted me to leave before he wet himself.

12 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

I accidentally set the workbench gas tap on fire. Was a little unnerving...

This sort of thing happens all the time in the US with professional athletes. I've actually discussed the drunk driving issue with a friend of mine who had a cup of coffee with a professional American football team. He told me that every team he played for had a phone number that players could call and they'd be picked up and taken home, no questions asked. (This was before Uber/Lyft.) Many players didn't use it because they didn't trust the coaching staff/management promises on the issue. But anyway, I'd be shocked if all of the top professional sides in England didn't have similar arrangements. And if they don't, they should. Which makes it all the more irritating.

And even so, dude makes, allegedly $300K per week--he could hire multiple full time drivers for one week's work of salary. I've driven drunk in my life, but not since my very early 20s--I'm 37 now. But I've never had the money Wayne has. I hope he has learned his lesson. I've got no problem with him having a few drinks, especially on an international break, but I hope he never puts himself (a soon to be father of 4, right) and other people at risk like this again.

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I hope they don't get paid for that. It's shit. 

Court artists in this country (unlike the US) aren't allowed to sketch in the court itself so have to do it from memory when they come out so often dodgy images can be understandable; but you'd have thought Julia could've sneakily googled Wayne's image and done a bit better.

On 9/17/2017 at 10:38, London Blue said:

Please Wayne, please stay in the opponents half and don't drift back to our penalty box. If you do we can't use you as an outlet and we find it even harder to get out of our own half.

Exactly this. 

The report of the Stoke game summed it up.  'Rooney spent more time in his own penalty area than he did in Stoke's'.

The one concerning thing with Wayne at the moment is his delay on making a pass. He doesn't seem to have that instinct anymore.

He sees the pass and doesn't execute it until the tackle actually comes into him.