IGNORED

Wayne Rooney

1 minute ago, Shukes said:

Me?

yes mate. I wouldn't say I would change things as they made me what I am today. 

But I am still ashamed of some of my actions and the way I treated some people. The only difference between myself and some others was that I didn't get caught. 

I never broke into houses as I thought it was morally wrong, but I stole cars thinking it was different. Like I say... I was a dick! I fought in gangs. 

but I was also young when I walked away and decided to change my life. Since then I have made a lot of effort to be a different person and bring my children up differently. I hope I have succeeded, but that's for others to judge not me.

well done mate,  never stole acar cos I hate them with a passion  (oddly I drive everywhere today and even had a go at motor racing, but yes all the other things you said and a whole lot more..  deeply ashamed but no true regrets as I am what those days made of me.

10 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Me?

yes mate. I wouldn't say I would change things as they made me what I am today. 

But I am still ashamed of some of my actions and the way I treated some people. The only difference between myself and some others was that I didn't get caught. 

I never broke into houses as I thought it was morally wrong, but I stole cars thinking it was different. Like I say... I was a dick! I fought in gangs. 

but I was also young when I walked away and decided to change my life. Since then I have made a lot of effort to be a different person and bring my children up differently. I hope I have succeeded, but that's for others to judge not me.

That's the key for me, you have to go through what you go through to get to where you are; if I'd not been in rehab in 1994 I wouldn't have met my wife so although it was total shit getting there I'm glad I did because it led to my kids/grandkids/me being a different person. Even my cancer has enhanced my life in many ways because it's led to me meeting so many great people and getting some brilliant new friends. Fate is a strange thing.

Life is a journey... I believe most people are born to be selfish.  It's the human instinct in some ways.

What makes me behave in a better way than what my "instinct" tells me to do is my conscience.  I'm a Roman Catholic and yes there is an element of that but ultimately most of us must feel a "guidance" to what is right. 

I'm led to believe that when our life is up we watch a review.... I hope mine involves making a better impact than a worse impact.

People who turn their lives round deserve a lot of credit. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Agree with the others, still hold myself accountable even now but it's part of my past for better or worse. 

Also learnt not to piss off Shukes now too :P

Haha I'm a five foot seven guy who used to believe he was six foot six and hard as nails.

i soon got my lesson free haha.

but thanks for changing the mood Matt haha, was starting to relive those memory's for a minute there.

3 hours ago, johnh said:

I must be a boring sod.  Apart from a few speeding fines, I have never done anything. Never been drunk, never smoked, never been in a fight. Exchanging knee high tackles and the odd elbow in the face on the football field is about it.:D

Two speeding fines, only been drunk twenty-six times (though admittedly that's in years rather than one off occasions), smoked until sixteen years ago, never been in a proper fight; just been beaten up on two or three occasions, can't recall landing a punch. Never did anything out of order on a football pitch though, you should be ashamed of yourself John:mad:.

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Two speeding fines, only been drunk twenty-six times (though admittedly that's in years rather than one off occasions), smoked until sixteen years ago, never been in a proper fight; just been beaten up on two or three occasions, can't recall landing a punch. Never did anything out of order on a football pitch though, you should be ashamed of yourself John:mad:.

I could look after myself on the football pitch.  I got in a few hairy moments off the pitch but being 6ft 3 inches (exceptionally tall in those days) 14 stone and fit as a proverbial, the opposition always seemed to walk away (thankfully:D)

Crikey...you guys went into real deep mode a few posts up. This place is changing!!!

On 05/09/2017 at 19:52, Shukes said:

Haha I'm a five foot seven guy who used to believe he was six foot six and hard as nails.

i soon got my lesson free haha.

but thanks for changing the mood Matt haha, was starting to relive those memory's for a minute there.

Haha. You sound just like me! Same height and attitude back in the day!!! I'd throw in as Well that I weighed about 9.5 stone but thought I was a ripped 15 stoner!!!

25 minutes ago, Newty82 said:

Crikey...you guys went into real deep mode a few posts up. This place is changing!!!

Haha. You sound just like me! Same height and attitude back in the day!!! I'd throw in as Well that I weighed about 9.5 stone but thought I was a ripped 15 stoner!!!

I was much bigger though mate, at least 9.7!

I'm almost embarrassed to say this, but I never got in any kind of trouble as a kid. I was too wrapped up in maths and music and chess to get in trouble. Very competitive in sport, but not unnecessarily aggressive. The one illegal thing I did was during my PhD years. A union went on strike just days before student final exams, effectively closing access to the library. As a researcher, I could still enter, so I organized a scheme whereby students could write on paper the books they needed, I would retrieve them and pass them out through a backdoor letterbox. Every student brought back every book once the strike was over.

2 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

I'm almost embarrassed to say this, but I never got in any kind of trouble as a kid. I was too wrapped up in maths and music and chess to get in trouble. Very competitive in sport, but not unnecessarily aggressive. The one illegal thing I did was during my PhD years. A union went on strike just days before student final exams, effectively closing access to the library. As a researcher, I could still enter, so I organized a scheme whereby students could write on paper the books they needed, I would retrieve them and pass them out through a backdoor letterbox. Every student brought back every book once the strike was over.

That is the least badass form of law breaking I've ever heard.

Edit: But very sweet of you.

5 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

may I call you Doctor Steve?  I never went beyond BSc myself

1 minute ago, rubecula said:

may I call you Doctor Steve?  I never went beyond BSc myself

You may :) but I rarely use my title these days: It comes across as rather pretentious.

Plus, when I checked in for a flight in Philadelphia, the agent behind the counter started going on about her bad back, and I couldn't understand why. Then it dawned on me: She saw in my profile the title Dr and assumed I was a medical doctor. I just told her to take some ibuprofen and to see her doctor if things flared up. :) But then I realized it could get rather serious. What if I was on a flight and the stewardesses thought I could help in a medical emergency? I went home and removed the title Dr from my profile.

13 minutes ago, nyblue23 said:

That is the least badass form of law breaking I've ever heard.

Edit: But very sweet of you.

Oh no. Please don't let me be the "very sweet" member of the forum.

You know, I do seem to remember that I broke into some houses, then stole a few cars, then ransacked a store, and finally broke the leg of everyone on the opposing football team, all in one evening. Just forgot to mention it earlier...