IGNORED

2017 Summer Transfer Window

Welcome to the board. I think Sandro is a #9 and we viewed it as such at the time, but its obvious that he isn't a target man #9. Not someone you knock long balls up to. Now that we've realized it will take him, DCL, Rooney, the rest time to adjust, we are panicking.

I think we'll be fine. Give our plan more time to develop. Some of these kids should hopefully grow into quality first team players and either a #9 will emerge within the squad or we'll buy one in the next 12 months. We are a work in progress.

If they thought Sandro was a true #9 then they didn't do their homework very well. He can play up there for the Spanish U21s and he could play as more of a Vardy type striker but not as a target man type player than Koeman seems to want.

To have sold Lukaku and not bought a striker in is crazy. We needed a striker in before Lukaku got sold. Yes we've got some bodies in and no doubt the majority will prove to be good additions but you need to score goals. If anything, after this window, I actually believe we are further away from the Top 6. Arsenal haven't had a good window but they've still added Lacazette and kept hold of their best players.

lo arsenal are an utter rabble at the moment.

Alexis can run around in circles and drop a shit on the pitch and still get picked for Chile and pick up a massive signing bonus from City next season...... you think he's going to give a shit this year?

They needed another CB and didn't get one.

They've need a replacement for Cazorla for years and still haven't addressed that...

Alexis and Ozil will leave on frees at the end of this season... but what about the season after... who's in their final year?

Ramsey, Giroud, Walcott, Welbeck, Monreal, Ospina, Cech

Honestly, I wouldn't be shocked if West Brom finished above Arsenal this season.....

Do they still have a good team? of course.

Will they be played in the right positions... well going off the liverpool game... nope.

Also knocking back 10m for Gibbs and saying 52 mil was too much for Lemar a month or so ago... to selling Gibbs for 7m and trying to get Lemar for 92m.... says it all really...

Edited by Westlo

We still had a prolific goal scorer in June though

There is no doubt that we have done some great business this window but not replacing Lukaku is a major failing

I'm not daft enough to think we could have attracted a like for like replacement of his calibre but not replacing him at all is criminal

I would give this window overalll a disappointing 5 out of 10

Oh I know. Was just a little observational joke to help me deal with the inevitable at the time.

I think we were almost aiming too high with strikers e.g. Giroud, Costa, Dzeko etc. These players probably weren't that excited by us and the clubs (bar Costa) weren't in any need to do business with us. In reality, if we'd gone after someone like Dembele at Celtic from the start then we'd have probably got him in - very raw and a downgrade on Lukaku but would have given us another much needed option in attack however over priced it may have seemed.

If it was purely a target man we were looking for then the likes of Rondon, Deeney, Wood would have done a job short term but wouldn't have had the quality to take us where we aspire to be. With hindsight, would we have been better off getting one of these in as an option?

Hey Newty, I know it was something you were interested in. How much did we end up actually spending this summer?

About £55mill. Not too shabby...but the market got proper distorted. If that Barkley deal had gone through, would it have been £20mill??? Or did we have another guy lined up? Barkley fell through really late so, again, my sceptical mind kicks in (it's only a very small portion of my overall thoughts!) and I'm still a bit 'hmmmm' about our actual spend intentions without selling. Good window I think though.

https://mobile.twitter.com/sportingintel/status/903532454836764673?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.telegraph.co.uk%2Ffootball%2F2017%2F09%2F01%2Farsenal-spurs-make-net-profit-just-five-premier-league-clubs%2F

I think we were almost aiming too high with strikers e.g. Giroud, Costa, Dzeko etc. These players probably weren't that excited by us and the clubs (bar Costa) weren't in any need to do business with us. In reality, if we'd gone after someone like Dembele at Celtic from the start then we'd have probably got him in - very raw and a downgrade on Lukaku but would have given us another much needed option in attack however over priced it may have seemed.

If it was purely a target man we were looking for then the likes of Rondon, Deeney, Wood would have done a job short term but wouldn't have had the quality to take us where we aspire to be. With hindsight, would we have been better off getting one of these in as an option?

Not a bad shout, even Marcus Bent did a decent job for a year replacing Rooney.

Not a bad shout, even Marcus Bent did a decent job for a year replacing Rooney.

not bad, no. Fucking awful shouts. I'd rather DCL get game time and develop than buy a "hold up" striker for a season.

If DCL can bulk up a bit, he could do that role considering his control and leap, but that too will take time. But I'd rather he played and learnt that buy one of those 3

in the presser RK said he was happy with the window.  Wanted striker last day but due to teams either holding out (ala coutinho) or asking way way too much he said "1st and 2nd choice were not available.  he then said once you get down to 3rd 4th 5th choice it's......aaaa well....." and drifted off.  i think he didn't want to just buy a player to buy a player at that point (see enner valencia).  Happy with Rooney DCL Sandro as options at the 9 and Niasse in the fold too.

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

in the presser RK said he was happy with the window.  Wanted striker last day but due to teams either holding out (ala coutinho) or asking way way too much he said "1st and 2nd choice were not available.  he then said once you get down to 3rd 4th 5th choice it's......aaaa well....." and drifted off.  i think he didn't want to just buy a player to buy a player at that point (see enner valencia).  Happy with Rooney DCL Sandro as options at the 9 and Niasse in the fold too.

It's great to see us not panic buy for once.

I also saw the highlight of Bolton vs Middlesbrough, our left back Robinson was completely outplayed by Adama Traore, Adama is the player we need, with pace, strong, and he is the most skillful winger in the league. The weakness is the final play but in this game he improved a lot and with two assists. I thinks he will cost around 25M but he is just only 21 years old, he is now playing in the champion league so we should be able to attract him to come in Jan

Im  at a loss to see how we have gone so wrong, I was really excited in the buys we brought in, Klaasen was a top player with x amount of goals and x amount of assists,  Rooney is a good player going slightly  downhill  in fitness and skill, Sandro was supposed to be a £25m player who we got for buttons, then we have Keane, Pickford and Siggy.

£150m worth of new players, so how is it we are playing worse with these players than we were with all the dead wood we got rid of. Time to bring the fringe players in from the cold , Holgate, Besic, Mirallas, Jags, Davies must all be brought in to make others fight for their place. they surely cant play any worse than the present crew. As i said i,m lost for words and i just dont understand why the manager perseveres with poor performances.

Would like to see him play 4-4-2 and attack teams especially in the cups to see how we would do.

Pickford

holgate - keane - jags - baines

Vlasic - davies - besic - mirallas

DCL - rooney

save siggy for the league matches.

11 hours ago, Bill said:

Im  at a loss to see how we have gone so wrong, I was really excited in the buys we brought in, Klaasen was a top player with x amount of goals and x amount of assists,  Rooney is a good player going slightly  downhill  in fitness and skill, Sandro was supposed to be a £25m player who we got for buttons, then we have Keane, Pickford and Siggy.

£150m worth of new players, so how is it we are playing worse with these players than we were with all the dead wood we got rid of. Time to bring the fringe players in from the cold , Holgate, Besic, Mirallas, Jags, Davies must all be brought in to make others fight for their place. they surely cant play any worse than the present crew. As i said i,m lost for words and i just dont understand why the manager perseveres with poor performances.

Would like to see him play 4-4-2 and attack teams especially in the cups to see how we would do.

Pickford

holgate - keane - jags - baines

Vlasic - davies - besic - mirallas

DCL - rooney

save siggy for the league matches.

Holgate, Davies, Jags, Besic, and Mirallas not his buys so he Will over look them unless he has injuries or suspensions to his buys.

• 2 months later...

We've actually pissed over £100m on absolute shit. That's being kind.

Pickford (just) is the only positive. 

RK deserved to lose him job for the Klaassen signing alone. Throw in Keane (shame) and Sigurdsson and the guy deserves to step away from the sport entirly .

Always stated Sigurdsson was a mistake but didn't even think he was THAT bad.

3 minutes ago, Lowensda said:

We've actually pissed over £100m on absolute shit. That's being kind.

Pickford (just) is the only positive. 

RK deserved to lose him job for the Klaassen signing alone. Throw in Keane (shame) and Sigurdsson and the guy deserves to step away from the sport entirly .

Always stated Sigurdsson was a mistake but didn't even think he was THAT bad.

It makes me want to cry. He signed Williams too. And Martina. And Sandro, who let's face it was as shite as anyone apart from the goal tonight. 

And let's remember Walsh is meant to be in charge of recruitment, or at least identifying targets. This is happened since he came in. 

7 minutes ago, nogs said:

It makes me want to cry. He signed Williams too. And Martina. And Sandro, who let's face it was as shite as anyone apart from the goal tonight. 

And let's remember Walsh is meant to be in charge of recruitment, or at least identifying targets. This is happened since he came in. 

We need to see Moshiri show some balls and bullet the cunt.

I still don' know what to make of what has happened in this window. This has all been compounded further by what has happened since Koeman was sacked. 

Completely unorganised and a completely confused approach. If this is going to work then surely Walsh must have a massive say about who we hire as our next manager otherwise we are just rinsing and repeating the Koeman saga. 

How the hell does this mess get fixed in a single window? Bare minimum we need a striker, dm, 2xcb and a left back. Hopefully we can fix up front by getting Onyekuru back but we must still surely be talking 80-100m to address the main issues.

I'd like to see us try and get felli back from utd, along with shaw.