IGNORED

Nikola Vlasic

5 hours ago, Sibdane said:

Might turn out to be the best thing for him. He's gotten plenty of playing time and has avoided the carousel of coaches at Everton.  

True. I just wish he'd had that time with us. But you're right, best he was allowed game time and protected from the drama around the club too

Vlasic made the right choice leaving us, he was at a mismanaged club with an imbalanced squad and a poor manager. I've not followed his progress in Moscow but have heard that he seems to be the leagues better players and growing each season - it just worries me that Oumar Niasse looked like a top class player in the Russian League.

If the price was right, I'd like to have him back but considering he seemed unhappy here (his sister kept posting stuff about the club remember) I don't think he would come back.

2 hours ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Vlasic made the right choice leaving us, he was at a mismanaged club with an imbalanced squad and a poor manager. I've not followed his progress in Moscow but have heard that he seems to be the leagues better players and growing each season - it just worries me that Oumar Niasse looked like a top class player in the Russian League.

If the price was right, I'd like to have him back but considering he seemed unhappy here (his sister kept posting stuff about the club remember) I don't think he would come back.

I think their situations aren’t comparable though. Vlasic has experience in the PL(although limited) and looked decent in his cameos for us and has excelled in the Russian league; worries me though that he was let go in the first place. 

Niasse was barely a one season wonder. He was incredibly lucky to get the goals he did. I know some will say “that’s great positioning.” But personally I think he was extremely fortunate, and that’s it. His athleticism helped him a lot. 

Let me add that it’s also completely obvious that Vlasic is miles ahead of Niasse in terms of technical ability. Just watch one game of either, and it’s completely obvious. 

13 hours ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Just following on from @Sibdane's post I dont think Niasse did look a top class player in Russia. 

I can only think he looked like a player that could find the net with a good work ethic but needed a hell of a lot of polishing.

I would be more worried that McGeady looked a decent player over there but based purely on stats Vlasic is doing far better than he ever did. 

I always liked the look of Vlasic. He seemed to have the brain to go along with the skill and that isnt easy to find. 

4 hours ago, Bailey said:

Just following on from @Sibdane's post I dont think Niasse did look a top class player in Russia. 

I can only think he looked like a player that could find the net with a good work ethic but needed a hell of a lot of polishing.

I would be more worried that McGeady looked a decent player over there but based purely on stats Vlasic is doing far better than he ever did. 

I always liked the look of Vlasic. He seemed to have the brain to go along with the skill and that isnt easy to find. 

A brain, velco-like feet, pace and balance. 

3 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Only issue he had was some attitude issues.  If he has grown up and matured maybe those have been resolved.  I was a big supporter of his until the attitude stuff.  Here’s to hoping…

I think it was more his family going public about how unhappy he was and badly he had been treated, obviously those stories would have come from him in private chats with his family, when you’re a young man miles from home and you feel things are conspiring against you it must be very tough.  

9 hours ago, Matt said:

I don't remember any attitude stuff :huh:

This week Vlasic has sat down for a new interview with Croatian outlet Sportske Novosti.

During the interview, Vlasic has mocked Everton for thinking they are as good as Tottenham:

Everton has spent $100 million last year on reinforcements. Only three players – Richarlison, (Yerry) Mina and (Lucas) Digne – cost about 90 million. 

Everton are looking for great names and players from big clubs, like Barcelona.

Despite these immense investments, the team is currently in the 11th place. That means there will be new, big purchases (in the future).

I know (Everton) have decided internally that they will try to be the new Tottenham and join the biggest league clubs. 

What went wrong for Vlasic at Everton

Vlasic also opened up about why his move to Everton didn’t work out.

For the Croatian, his problems are all Sam Allardyce’s fault:

Everything changed after (Ronald) Koeman left. The football played under Big Sam was awful, if it could even be called football. 

In such football I do not have a place. The football team was terrified by everything – the fans mostly.

I read another piece where he asked Silva if he was a guaranteed starter, when he said no, he said I’d rather leave.  Guy didn’t wanna fight for his place. 

2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

This week Vlasic has sat down for a new interview with Croatian outlet Sportske Novosti.

During the interview, Vlasic has mocked Everton for thinking they are as good as Tottenham:

Everton has spent $100 million last year on reinforcements. Only three players – Richarlison, (Yerry) Mina and (Lucas) Digne – cost about 90 million. 

Despite these immense investments, the team is currently in the 11th place. That means there will be new, big purchases (in the future).

I know (Everton) have decided internally that they will try to be the new Tottenham and join the biggest league clubs. 

Everything changed after (Ronald) Koeman left. The football played under Big Sam was awful, if it could even be called football. 

In such football I do not have a place. The football team was terrified by everything – the fans mostly.

I read another piece where he asked Silva if he was a guaranteed starter, when he said no, he said I’d rather leave.  Guy didn’t wanna fight for his place. 

That seems to be after he left the club, but how true are those words, we keep spending big and finishing in double figures. He should have been kept on he like DCL Godfrey and Niels were brought in to be part of the future, to help give the team stability for years to come, constantly buying big name players on huge wages who are near the end of their careers is trying to take the easy option, we should be looking at more Vlasic’s to bring into the team, and when we get them try and keep them after all they do have a great future.   

3 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Is he wrong?

I think he did the right thing by himself to find out whether he was part of the plans and if not, get himself out somewhere to play regularly. It has clearly worked too. 

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

Is he wrong?

I think he did the right thing by himself to find out whether he was part of the plans and if not, get himself out somewhere to play regularly. It has clearly worked too. 

Exactly this. He wanted to play regular football, he got that and has become an important player for his national team. Seems like it all worked out fine for him. 
If he’s good enough to play for us now I’d be more than happy to see him come back. 

• 2 months later...

I live in Russia and follow the Russian league closely. He's a decent player but still nothing special. I can't stress enough how much lower the standard is here than in the Prem, more so now than even when we were signing Billy. We're not missing out by not signing Vlasic for the reported fee (30 million euros is way too much in my opinion). 

5 hours ago, Isaiah said:

I live in Russia and follow the Russian league closely. He's a decent player but still nothing special. I can't stress enough how much lower the standard is here than in the Prem, more so now than even when we were signing Billy. We're not missing out by not signing Vlasic for the reported fee (30 million euros is way too much in my opinion). 

Do you rate Townsend over him?

From his limited time here I thought Vlasic was a little bit special on top of his work rate.