IGNORED

André Gomes

Peter H

Seemed to apoligse to the camera when he scored tonight in dedication to Gomes. A bit cheesy, and as angry as I am with what happened Son had absolutely no intention to endanger Gomes with that challenge. It was a professional foul that had a very unlikely and unlucky outcome. 

You could see how torn up the poor lad was, I feel for him. 

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Looking at the FA rules I guess it would be determined as one of a tackle / challenge / trip. Incidentally it mentions nothing about intending to win the ball. 

I would call it one of the above. 

I find all of this a bit sanctimonious. Gomes is easily the worst player on our team for making these challenges. Not trying to win the ball but to bring the player down. He has even been seen stamping on opponents out of revenge. 

So that’s alright then what Son did was perfectly acceptable, and Gomes has nothing to complain about 

25 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

And he got a three game for it. 

Which is right he should have, no complaints from me on that score. 
But so should have Son and that’s where my grievances lay he should have been facing the same ban, but instead he walks away free with people in some quarters even fighting his corner  

Just now, Palfy said:

So that’s alright then what Son did was perfectly acceptable, and Gomes has nothing to complain about 

But so should have Son and that’s where my grievances lay he should have been facing the same ban, but instead he walks away free with people in some quarters even fighting his corner  

That was my point, Palf. Gomes was punished, Son’s been hugged. 

22 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Seemed to apoligse to the camera when he scored tonight in dedication to Gomes. A bit cheesy, and as angry as I am with what happened Son had absolutely no intention to endanger Gomes with that challenge. It was a professional foul that had a very unlikely and unlucky outcome. 

You could see how torn up the poor lad was, I feel for him. 

Don't think Andre will have been watching.

26 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I didn't say it was alright, it's a foul and he should be booked.

There is a difference between a trip and a ban and rightly so. Son attempted to trip Gomes and bring him down. Gomes deliberately stamped on a players for no reason at all when the player was on the ground. 

In first view I thought Son had gone to do him but his foot is on the ground and he has clearly just gone to bring him down whether it's revenge or to stop him getting away. If he had flown in shin height then I would agree with you but he hasn't. 

5 hours ago, Bailey said:

There is a difference between a trip and a ban and rightly so. Son attempted to trip Gomes and bring him down. Gomes deliberately stamped on a players for no reason at all when the player was on the ground. 

In first view I thought Son had gone to do him but his foot is on the ground and he has clearly just gone to bring him down whether it's revenge or to stop him getting away. If he had flown in shin height then I would agree with you but he hasn't. 

Son knew what he was doing. He wasn't playing the ball. He went to take him out. It's no longer a tactical foul when it's just a little bit past midfield with tons of players in front of them. It was malicious and reckless. 

9 hours ago, Palfy said:

I think it’s called a tactical foul not a tactical tackle, and I agree you won’t stop them, but there should be an appropriate punishment to try and protect players, you get a yellow card for kicking the ball away. 

Yeah, tactical foul by making a tackle, I’m getting my words mixed up. 

8 hours ago, Bailey said:

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Yeah, tactical foul by making a tackle, I’m getting my words mixed up. 

It’s a very contentious subject which we may never all agree on and is evident as we keep going round in circles. 
But for me a cynical foul should be a red card.

Though I accept your arguments I think it would be simpler to agree to disagree, and offer our support and best wishes to Gomes. 

16 hours ago, MikeO said:

What's annoying is how Son's the one getting all the pity from the media. Was out in the car listening to the build up for their game tonight and all the talk was about how he was going to get over it, then they made a big deal about him being the one to lead the team out for the warm-up.

Couldn’t agree more with that, it’s been pretty annoying. 

5 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Apparently this would have been the third time he'd been sent off for a revenge tackle. And yet the cunt has managed to come out of this smelling of roses, hugged by Everton players and defended by Everton fans... Unbelievable.

Yep I really can’t get my head around this at any level

It beggars belief. Let’s hope Gomes gets back to himself 100% but if he doesn’t nobody will say fuck all about that snide little prick ruining a persons career. Imagine that happening to salah or one of the media’s golden boys? U would not hear the end of it. Even tonight listening to talksport the debate was, is son world class? Wtf?

3 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Yep I really can’t get my head around this at any level

Me neither. One can easily get a 10 match ban for saying the "N" word, but a violation that leads to a potentially career ending injury will be passed without any sanction? That's just ridiculous! Serving a three match ban is the least moral thing Son could do in this particular situation.

8 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Apparently this would have been the third time he'd been sent off for a revenge tackle. And yet the cunt has managed to come out of this smelling of roses, hugged by Everton players and defended by Everton fans... Unbelievable.

Professionals consoling professionals, friends comforting friends... how dare they! 

the media has completely skewed this to flame things. Even after the challenge the BBC feed was saying something along the lines of “Son is gonna get a lot of flack for this on social media” and, the defensive intent was apparently justified. But they have then completely negated any well meaning with going OTT in the defence, ignorance and bias.

Son went in to take him out. Clear. He hold his hands up when the whistle has gone. Clear. He makes no contact with the ankle that goes. Clear. He sees the injury... and then he reacts. 

4 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Of course I hope Gomes fully recovers, but I worry that if he somehow is "fit" enough to play in, say, May, then he might be selected for Portugal's Euro 2020 squad.  But maybe that selection must occur earlier, and he will not be considered?

5 minutes ago, Elston Gunnn said:

Of course I hope Gomes fully recovers, but I worry that if he somehow is "fit" enough to play in, say, May, then he might be selected for Portugal's Euro 2020 squad.  But maybe that selection must occur earlier, and he will not be considered?

If he’s selected it’ll be squad not starter. I’d see it as good preseason and nothing else

9 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I can’t comment mate I have agreed to disagree, but I sincerely agree with you. 

52 minutes ago, Matt said:

Professionals consoling professionals, friends comforting friends... how dare they! 

the media has completely skewed this to flame things. Even after the challenge the BBC feed was saying something along the lines of “Son is gonna get a lot of flack for this on social media” and, the defensive intent was apparently justified. But they have then completely negated any well meaning with going OTT in the defence, ignorance and bias.

Son went in to take him out. Clear. He hold his hands up when the whistle has gone. Clear. He makes no contact with the ankle that goes. Clear. He sees the injury... and then he reacts. 

Except that he did make contact with the ankle both with the tackling foot then again with the follow through with his other leg 

16 hours ago, Sibdane said:

Son knew what he was doing. He wasn't playing the ball. He went to take him out. It's no longer a tactical foul when it's just a little bit past midfield with tons of players in front of them. It was malicious and reckless. 

I don't disagree with most of the first part. He was trying to bring him down but he wasn't trying to break his leg. The challenge itself wasn't that bad at all. Son's leg goes in front of Gomes' in order to trip him up. I don't know if you have watched it back but I would urge you to do so.

13 hours ago, Palfy said:

It’s a very contentious subject which we may never all agree on and is evident as we keep going round in circles. 
But for me a cynical foul should be a red card.

Though I accept your arguments I think it would be simpler to agree to disagree, and offer our support and best wishes to Gomes. 

Agree Palfy, even in respect of the cynical foul comment.

1 hour ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Except that he did make contact with the ankle both with the tackling foot then again with the follow through with his other leg 

However neither of those two impacts would cause the injury suffered. The follow through brushed his leg and the main tackling leg went in front of Gomes'. You see tackles like that in most games, whether mistimed or deliberate.

49 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I don't disagree with most of the first part. He was trying to bring him down but he wasn't trying to break his leg. The challenge itself wasn't that bad at all. Son's leg goes in front of Gomes' in order to trip him up. I don't know if you have watched it back but I would urge you to do so.

Agree Palfy, even in respect of the cynical foul comment.

However neither of those two impacts would cause the injury suffered. The follow through brushed his leg and the main tackling leg went in front of Gomes'. You see tackles like that in most games, whether mistimed or deliberate.

This is the entire point for me, whichever we you try and paint this his tackle , and those impacts, are the  direct cause of Gomes injury. If he doesn’t deliberately set out to do Gomes ( and I’m very clear in this , Son’s intent was most definitely not to just trip Gomes ) then this injury doesn’t happen 

If he made the same tackle with the same consequences on Mo Salah or Kevin de Bruyne do you honestly think he would get away with it ?

Son's tackle led to a devastating injury to Gomes. A lot of reaction in the hour after the incident came from the gut on both sides of the situation. We are rightly going to support and take the corner of our own. Once things calmed down it sucks that Son has coming out smelling of roses and getting  uber sympathy from the media. This will impact our reaction to TH for quite a time to come.

1 hour ago, Aidan said:

From now on in is a professional foul a red card just incase someone breaks a leg? 

I would call what Son did unprofessional not professional and for that he most definitely should have been shown a red card, he has a history of this type of incident, and calling it or him professional is to legitimise and absorb him of the reason or blame for Gomes injury.