IGNORED

André Gomes

Peter H

• 1 month later...

Gutted for Gomes. Class human and player. Fantastic representative of the club. 

Given the circumstances the news is ok. Dislocated ankle is 'better' than broken tibia and fibula. It is unlikely we see Andre again this season, and frankly i'd rather not rush him back from this (he'll have a lot to overcome mentally as well), but as long as there aren't complications during the surgery we should expect to see him back to 'full' strength during preseason. Seen a few American athletes go through this and it takes about 8 months without complications. 12 if they have to go back in again and stabilize. 

The real issue is the 4 players who I've seen it happen to (sure there are more) have never been the same player. Not even close really. 

5 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Oh fuck, I've just watched the video of them putting his ankle back in place... 

No thanks. Had too many breaks, dislocations and an avulsion to need reminding of that type of pain

really happy to hear it’s all gone as well as could’ve been hoped for, and glad the club got the news out ASAP rather than not really announcing anything

2 hours ago, TallPaul1878 said:

I'm not gonna let this one go. I'm like a dog with a bone now. I'd been saying for weeks that this injury was coming, that referees were giving carte blanche for opposition players to make rash, cynical and downright dirty challenges on our players.

Richarlison gets pelters for his diving antics, and rightly so in many cases, but he gets kicked week in week out by opposition players. As do many of our players. When referees fail to produce a yellow card because "well it's a bit early for one" it encourages further bad challenges.

Gomes got injured because the referee did not have control of the game, he allowed niggly challenges to creep into the game and it led to an injury.

It's not good enough and it happens to often to us that we get shafted by referees. Same last year when they decided to punish Niasse for "overreacting a foul" and turned away a penalty for it. The only time they ever bothered to enforce that rule was against us.

I’m with you on this Paul, shocking referring yesterday, can’t  remember  being so incensed during a game before the incident with Gomes as I did yesterday.

1 minute ago, markjazzbassist said:

let them walk all over us, yep, bunch of soft ones.  no thanks.

Leaving a boot in and going in hard just got a player seriously injured. Adding vengeance to that, as it reads to me, is awful. So bad I actually had to look up the tackle to see for myself.

It’s a bad tackle, very poor “tactical” tackle (many on here have called for taking a player out to prevent a player advancing), but he didn’t set out to do what he did and I would expect that no one, not any player from any team, to want revenge. Use it as motivation to win, sure. To show we’re not soft?! That’s not Everton and that’s not sport.

Very surprised with your last 2 posts, completely out of character. I really hope this is emotion talking and not how it reads. 

22 minutes ago, Matt said:

Leaving a boot in and going in hard just got a player seriously injured. Adding vengeance to that, as it reads to me, is awful. So bad I actually had to look up the tackle to see for myself.

It’s a bad tackle, very poor “tactical” tackle (many on here have called for taking a player out to prevent a player advancing), but he didn’t set out to do what he did and I would expect that no one, not any player from any team, to want revenge. Use it as motivation to win, sure. To show we’re not soft?! That’s not Everton and that’s not sport.

Very surprised with your last 2 posts, completely out of character. I really hope this is emotion talking and not how it reads. 

watch american  baseball, if a team hits a player with a pitch, the next time the other team is pitching they "get one back" and will hit one of theirs.  standard practice been happening for over a century.  american football this kind of stuff happens all the time, hockey as well too.  need i remind you, THESE ARE VIOLENT SPORTS, we should not be surprised when violence occurs.  the 80's Everton was known for being some hard fuckers, i bet they'd throw an elbow the next time they saw Spurs, they wouldn't let it go.  why should we?

5 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

watch american  baseball, if a team hits a player with a pitch, the next time the other team is pitching they "get one back" and will hit one of theirs.  standard practice been happening for over a century.  american football this kind of stuff happens all the time, hockey as well too.  need i remind you, THESE ARE VIOLENT SPORTS, we should not be surprised when violence occurs.  the 80's Everton was known for being some hard fuckers, i bet they'd throw an elbow the next time they saw Spurs, they wouldn't let it go.  why should we?

Big difference in going out to intentionally injure someone compared to leaving one on them to let them know your there and not a mug. The latter being Son's intentions. 

9 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

I need no reminder. Malice is no excuse, ever. 

and there’s not anything that could make me watch baseball again. 

I’d feel sympathy towards son but he reacted to accidentally getting an arm across his face just prior to his “tackle” on Gomes. There was no intention to play the ball and if he wanted to stop him advancing - put your arms out and pull him back. 

I’m with Matt. It was a bad tackle, but not malicious. I’ve taken many a bad tackle and gave them a dig back, but I have never ever tried to hurt anyone. The only thing I have ever done is give them a knock back to show them they won’t get away with it again, just as PeteO says... there’s a big difference.

Honestly, it was a yellow card tackle.

22 minutes ago, Bill said:

Wasn't a red card offence it was just a trip from behind, yellow card at most. Was only after the ref had seen the injury that he changed it to red, that can't be right.

I think it was a little more than just a trip! He knew exactly what he was doing and it’s a red all day long for me

38 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

Spurs quite happy for VAR to deny us a handball but it's wrong for a red card decision. All the sympathy for Gomes coming from their camp seems rather hollow.

I’d have to agree with this. You’d think out of common decency knowing that Sons actions have ensured Gomes is out for the season they’d just suck up a few games ban. I bet if the shoe was on the other foot......

1 hour ago, barryj said:

You’d think out of common decency knowing that Sons actions have ensured Gomes is out for the season they’d just suck up a few games ban. I bet if the shoe was on the other foot......

Agree with you. No class. Don't think it deserves a red but pretty sure Son wouldn't be kick up a fuss about sitting the next couple out.

As for the snap Dunc put up that's his landing not the kick. Holgate last week was much worse. Late and no intention for the ball, just frustration. 

Son had no intention to play the ball he clearly went for the man, did he intend to cause a severe injury no of course didn’t, but in making challenges like that you have to take full responsibility for the consequences it was premeditated and Son is responsible for the outcome. 

I can sort of understand why he is appealing the red card, he probably feels like it is branding him as a dirty player who’s intention was to severely hurt the player and not just stop his run, personally he should take the card because his actions contributed to the injury which was deliberately to take the man out and not a miss timed tackle with an intention to play the ball. 

On the basis of what I have said I believe any tackle where the sole intention is to play the man with no attempt to win the ball should be an automatic red card, no matter how innocuous the challenge may seem, because as we have seen a deliberate trip can have severe consequences and the perpetrators need to know that.