IGNORED

Bournemouth (Home) Sunday January 13th

markjazzbassist

Awful first half throughout team. Were the home team against a team who are on a bad run, as nearly as bad as we are, need to take the bull by the horns and start playing more decisive, don’t recall a shot on target from us so far. Richarlison is not a front man in any way, Nedd to bring on. CF who can win the ball and bring others into the game.

Big result that, we looked clueless and totally lacking in confidence first 30 mins, once we started to play something resembling football we probably edged it. Not always pretty, had to do the ugly stuff to hold on and it was pretty desperate at the end until the second, but we toughed it out and won. Time to see the real Everton again please. 

That was a huge 3 points. Not just because of how poorly we started and how we turned it around but also because we were put under the kosh from set pieces and not only did we come through that period (just) but we also then went up the other end and clinically finished the game off. The work rate, energy and determination showed today will hopefully prove the catalyst for our season.

The star of the show was Lookman. Even when we were crap, he was the best player and then the icing on the cake was the hard work, movement and composure to set up DCL to finish the game. Without doubt he stood up and showed why he should be starting games.

The rock for us was Keane. He made one poor touch but that was it. He seemed to win every header and he made one massive tackle/block late on.

Those first 30 minutes aside, I thought everyone played well. Gomes started dictating, Gueye got better as the game went on, Bernard was bright. Siggy started getting on the ball and dictating higher up the pitch. Richarlison and Pickford who were probably the worst players on the pitch after 30 minutes made huge contributions to the game and played really well. Digne was solid and put in a great ball for the first, he made one crunching tackle too which seemed to lift us around that early spell. Zouma settled well and even Coleman, who is still clearly our weak link, did his job.

It was also brilliant to see DCL come off the bench and bag his goal. I said before the match that his impact comes from the bench and he put in a real shift and clinically finished his chance. That will mean a lot to him.

Overall, and in a weird way, I think this was my favourite performance of the season. We played with some real quality, we made plenty of chances but more importantly, the players put in a huge shift, they didnt give an inch, and that for me is what I think of when I consider what I want from my club.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

That was a huge 3 points. Not just because of how poorly we started and how we turned it around but also because we were put under the kosh from set pieces and not only did we come through that period (just) but we also then went up the other end and clinically finished the game off. The work rate, energy and determination showed today will hopefully prove the catalyst for our season.

The star of the show was Lookman. Even when we were crap, he was the best player and then the icing on the cake was the hard work, movement and composure to set up DCL to finish the game. Without doubt he stood up and showed why he should be starting games.

The rock for us was Keane. He made one poor touch but that was it. He seemed to win every header and he made one massive tackle/block late on.

Those first 30 minutes aside, I thought everyone played well. Gomes started dictating, Gueye got better as the game went on, Bernard was bright. Siggy started getting on the ball and dictating higher up the pitch. Richarlison and Pickford who were probably the worst players on the pitch after 30 minutes made huge contributions to the game and played really well. Digne was solid and put in a great ball for the first, he made one crunching tackle too which seemed to lift us around that early spell. Zouma settled well and even Coleman, who is still clearly our weak link, did his job.

It was also brilliant to see DCL come off the bench and bag his goal. I said before the match that his impact comes from the bench and he put in a real shift and clinically finished his chance. That will mean a lot to him.

Overall, and in a weird way, I think this was my favourite performance of the season. We played with some real quality, we made plenty of chances but more importantly, the players put in a huge shift, they didnt give an inch, and that for me is what I think of when I consider what I want from my club.

Under the cosh and they performed.

I think this was a massive game for us, we have been so poor recently that we needed to win by any means and that's exactly what the team did. For the first half hour we were awful, we couldn't control the ball or dictate play or get any attacking fluency but after half an hour something clicked and we started to take control of the game. IT wasn't great but it was effective and it was exciting and we created some great attacking moves, it felt like we were playing for each other, the players showed character and fight, where recently we would have folded. It felt like we were against 12 players because of the referee, but despite that we hung on and scored a second goal to claim the win, a massively important win. It will give the players belief gives the manager relief from the pressure and gives a real sense of them and us which we can use,  If we can just get a center forward and a replacement for Coleman I think we have a really good chance the finishing 7th and making real progress.

That first half was fucking atrocious. We couldn’t string three passes together and we were second to everything. If we weren’t playing a shit side like Bournemouth we’d have been annihilated and done by half time. 

Second half we were a completely different team. We almost went ahead within the first minute of the restart! We were pressing like our lives depended on it, we had a good tempo, we created and most importantly we put those chances away. 

The officials, and I include the linesmen in this, were fucking woeful. The worst I’ve seen for a long time. It wasn’t even just against us either - at one point our player practically ran through the back of a Bournemouth player and the ref was having none of it. 

53 minutes ago, memmaclub2 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/everton/top-scorers

I stand by my previous quote of we should put DCL in every game he is finally scoring some goals and so as any striker if he is scorgin keep him in richarlison needs to be out wide.

Among all the problems we have, I'm worried that we have too much competition on the left wing. :DRicharlison, Bernard and Lookman all seem to feel best on the left. And Richarlison being our central forward eases the situation a bit.

5 hours ago, London Blue said:

I think this was a massive game for us, we have been so poor recently that we needed to win by any means and that's exactly what the team did. For the first half hour we were awful, we couldn't control the ball or dictate play or get any attacking fluency but after half an hour something clicked and we started to take control of the game. IT wasn't great but it was effective and it was exciting and we created some great attacking moves, it felt like we were playing for each other, the players showed character and fight, where recently we would have folded. It felt like we were against 12 players because of the referee, but despite that we hung on and scored a second goal to claim the win, a massively important win. It will give the players belief gives the manager relief from the pressure and gives a real sense of them and us which we can use,  If we can just get a center forward and a replacement for Coleman I think we have a really good chance the finishing 7th and making real progress.

Great post and I agree with all of it except that I thought Coleman did ok today.