IGNORED

Zaha

I'm pleased that we haven't signed Zaha, for all that he could have arguably strengthened us the prices quoted were absolutely insane and even at the initial £40-50m mark I thought we were being a bit naive. When you consider Hirving Lozano, one of the hottest properties in Europe was signed by Brands at PSV for just £7.2 million you have to sit back and think about the value for money in these deals. 

Clubs from "B" tier leagues survive on buying cheap products from the likes of South America and selling them on for massive profit. An example is Eder Militao at FC Porto, signed for £3 million last summer and shipped off to Real Madrid last month for just over £50(m). The English league is mocked throughout the continent for its love affair with spunking money up the wall and it's hard to argue against it when you've got Harry Maguire and Wilfried Zaha touted at £80m players - just because they are proven in the Premier League. 

We should be looking at players from the continent who could do the same job (or better) for a fraction of the price. David Neres was my dream transfer from the start but he's just signed an extension with Ajax, although there will be others like him. 

As much as Palace were doomed without Wan-Bissaka and Zaha it'll be interesting to see how the latter reacts as it's been confirmed already that he's seriously fallen out with the board. If he throws a tantrum all season and fails to deliver, I expect them to be battling relegation big time. Hope he boycotts the game on Saturday too! 

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

The fact that he has supposedly thrown a tantrum speaks volumes about his character if true and if he doesn’t knuckle down. If that’s the case, all the more reason to be grateful we’ve not panicked and spent stupid money. 

I don't put too much stock into reports like this as we don't know what went on behind the scenes. Perhaps he was promised that they would accept any reasonable offer and then management didn't follow through. It will be interesting to see if we go back in for him in January.

5 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

I don't put too much stock into reports like this as we don't know what went on behind the scenes. Perhaps he was promised that they would accept any reasonable offer and then management didn't follow through. It will be interesting to see if we go back in for him in January.

It was Hodgson himself who says:

"We are looking forward to him doing this season, what he's done for the last two seasons. Everyone here has a good relationship with him. There's not a problem with that.

"His beef is with the chairman and owners of the club because he's wanted to leave and they haven't received the offer that they think is sufficient to allow him to leave.

"He has to come to terms with that, when you sign long-term contracts you are expected to honour them and we expect him to do that

might be nothing but why even mention he’s got “beef” with the owners?

13 minutes ago, Matt said:

The fact that he has supposedly thrown a tantrum speaks volumes about his character if true and if he doesn’t knuckle down. If that’s the case, all the more reason to be grateful we’ve not panicked and spent stupid money. 

His character throughout the game is held in nothing but high regard. Unquestionable.

It was Roy Hodgson who said he will be fine but 'his beef is with the owners and chairman'. Yes, Hodgson actually used the word 'beef'!!!

Just now, Matt said:

"We are looking forward to him doing this season, what he's done for the last two seasons. Everyone here has a good relationship with him. There's not a problem with that.

"His beef is with the chairman and owners of the club because he's wanted to leave and they haven't received the offer that they think is sufficient to allow him to leave.

"He has to come to terms with that, when you sign long-term contracts you are expected to honour them and we expect him to do that

This seems to prove what I'm speculating about. Obviously, he's had a falling out with the higher ups at the club. We simply don't know the details of that relationship or who is in the wrong. I'll agree that if he refuses to play for them now it would be unprofessional but until that happens I'll give the benefit of the doubt to him as he's given a lot to that club.

4 minutes ago, Matt said:

Should have read on...but his character within the game is not in question.

On 23/06/2019 at 17:33, c1982 said:

Wasn’t there a stat either 17/18 or 18/19 that Palace lost every game Zaha didn’t play? A class player who is on a completely different level to the Palace Bolasie but, due to his importance to them, he’d cost far more than he’s worth. He’s priceless to them hence they’ll ask for near on £100m - surely no team will pay near that so I expect he’ll stay for at least another season.

A wise man once said... 👀

Just now, markjazzbassist said:

iwobi for 35m is awful, but the rest of it is great news.  brands doing well on everything but Iwobi IMO

Why is it awful? That’s what a player of this quality is worth in the current market. He’s a very creative and will add more speed, power and flair to our attack. He’s not had too many chances at Arsenal but look at their attacking options ahead of him e.g Ozil and Mhykatarian (spelling). When he’s played, he’s looked very dangerous. Only 23 too - we should see his best years.

6 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

iwobi for 35m is awful, but the rest of it is great news.  brands doing well on everything but Iwobi IMO

Couldn’t disagree more. Using the logic someone used, in a couple of seasons everyone will be going got £80-100m. This lad is only just 23 and has CL and Premiership experience. I don’t think he’s the messiah but value for money a much better signing than it looks. He’s either great, or not and we sell at an inflated price. 

7 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

i hope you guys are right i really do, COYB

We all do. I think of a winger as something of a luxury for us so if he adds anything that’ll be a bonus. Plus it allows Bernard to probably play more of a super sub role where I think he will thrive. 

4 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

We all do. I think of a winger as something of a luxury for us so if he adds anything that’ll be a bonus. Plus it allows Bernard to probably play more of a super sub role where I think he will thrive. 

Hope not. I’ll be very disappointed to see Bernard dropped. His workrate is essential for the high press. 

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

Hope not. I’ll be very disappointed to see Bernard dropped. His workrate is essential for the high press. 

I suppose I don’t know enough about Iwobi to say whether he can do a job in the press. I worry about Bernard size’s resulting in getting worn down over a long season so, at worst, Iwobi should give us another option there if and when that happens.

4 hours ago, Newty82 said:

True. And Richarlison aswell.

Both turned out well, I think.

Richarlison was short and sharp job done type deal from my memory. Siggy was dragged out for an age. That's what I am sticking to anyway :)

1 hour ago, Matt said:

If he was promised he could leave for a reasonable offer and then they price him out of it I think he has every reason to be pissed off. I wonder if he would have signed a new long contract if he knew the price they would put on him? It makes you look at the Barkley situation a bit differently because if he had signed there would have been the same issue with us when Chelsea and Spurs came calling.

1 hour ago, c1982 said:

Very good source - reassures me that £60m was a maximum bid for us.

That sounds more like it, especially when we look at what happened last season with Barca/Bernard. Our offer is there and we wont go chasing players.

1 hour ago, c1982 said:

A wise man once said... 👀

A broken clock and all that ;)

• 1 month later...
On 05/10/2019 at 19:26, plaidharper said:
On 05/10/2019 at 19:26, plaidharper said:

Zaha and Palace are sitting in 4th. The world is cruel.

yes  that  is true enough,  the world is incredibly cruel …  however  I believe you get wat you deserve in the long run …. especially in sport  .  

• 9 months later...