IGNORED

Zaha

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Fell over a lot, although did put one good ball in for the “offside” goal. 

And should have had a penalty. What I’d like to see is just one of our players be direct and drive towards goal with the ball at their feet. We rarely ever take any player on. 

8 minutes ago, barryj said:

And should have had a penalty. What I’d like to see is just one of our players be direct and drive towards goal with the ball at their feet. We rarely ever take any player on. 

He would’ve had the penalty if he hadn’t acted like he’d been shot. But as it was it looked more a booking than a pen. 

5 hours ago, chicagoblue said:

Pretty sure he tamely gave it away for Utd to score their second.  I don't see any value in him.  If he'd come here when he went to Palace then yes, would've been great.  Now, at what, 60-80M?  Not a chance.

Not saying we should buy him as there will be no sell on value and will going against our transfer policy. However nobody can surely question his quality. We have Iwobi, Bernard and Walcott and he’s head and shoulders better than any of them. He would have been a good buy a few years ago but not now with our financial constraints. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Btay said:

4 goals and 5 assists all season. I know Palace are not a force but they didn’t have a bad season... I don’t think he takes us to where we want to be. Younger, cheaper and better around in my opinion.

It's crazy to think he's still been involved with nearly a quarter of Palaces goals.

5 hours ago, Btay said:

4 goals and 5 assists all season. I know Palace are not a force but they didn’t have a bad season... I don’t think he takes us to where we want to be. Younger, cheaper and better around in my opinion.

This is where I'm at - not exactly prolific is he and now approaching 30?

3 hours ago, Cisk said:

This is where I'm at - not exactly prolific is he and now approaching 30?

If you consider 27 "approaching 30" then yes. Last season was his least productive since 2015/16. He scored 10, 9 and 7 in the previous seasons plus assisted 26 goals in total during those three seasons. A Zaha of 2018/19 would walk into most PL teams (10 goals, 10 assists). But IIRC didn't he mostly play as a forward that season?

The time to have bought Zaha was when he left Man U. He is just too much money now. High transfer fee, high wages, maybe last move of career, not quite good enough for the very top teams - sounds familiar!!! We are stuck with enough players in this mould. 

He would do a OK job as a winger and IS better than what we have - but that sort of money desperately needs spending at the heart of the time first. (A decent midfield enforcer and unfortunate it pains me to say - a steady and reliable keeper).

If you have money to burn, then to me Zaha is the type of player you might bring in as a finishing touch, to add that extra bit of quality to an already decent backbone of a team. We finished 12th - we need to get to the decent backbone part first. 

I think somebody like Dwight McNeil might be the better option for us as an attacking option if we must spend in this area of the pitch. A move to Everton would also be a good move for the lad. 

2 hours ago, RuffRob said:

The time to have bought Zaha was when he left Man U. He is just too much money now. High transfer fee, high wages, maybe last move of career, not quite good enough for the very top teams - sounds familiar!!! We are stuck with enough players in this mould. 

He would do a OK job as a winger and IS better than what we have - but that sort of money desperately needs spending at the heart of the time first. (A decent midfield enforcer and unfortunate it pains me to say - a steady and reliable keeper).

If you have money to burn, then to me Zaha is the type of player you might bring in as a finishing touch, to add that extra bit of quality to an already decent backbone of a team. We finished 12th - we need to get to the decent backbone part first. 

I think somebody like Dwight McNeil might be the better option for us as an attacking option if we must spend in this area of the pitch. A move to Everton would also be a good move for the lad. 

I agree with most of this.

He plays for Palace better than any of our wingers play for us and I will include Richarlison wide in that. He is quick, strong (enough) and he can beat a man. He can also pick a pass and put the ball in the back of the net, albeit I wouldn't call him a goalscorer in the same way Richarlison is. I said at the time that Iwobi was a poor mans Zaha but in all honesty Zaha would have struggled with this group of players around him. I feel like those wide attacking position should be forgotten about for now and all of our concentration needs to be focussed on making us stronger through the middle.

As with Dwight McNeil, I don't really see the appeal. He is just a young Siggy. Great feet, can put in a good ball but he is slow and he suits playing in a team where he can whip balls in for big strikers or picking up second balls around the box. He is by no means a bad player, I think he has a good head on him, but when it comes to putting him into a side that aims to be at the top end of the premier league table, I just don't see it.

52 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I agree with most of this.

He plays for Palace better than any of our wingers play for us and I will include Richarlison wide in that. He is quick, strong (enough) and he can beat a man. He can also pick a pass and put the ball in the back of the net, albeit I wouldn't call him a goalscorer in the same way Richarlison is. I said at the time that Iwobi was a poor mans Zaha but in all honesty Zaha would have struggled with this group of players around him. I feel like those wide attacking position should be forgotten about for now and all of our concentration needs to be focussed on making us stronger through the middle.

As with Dwight McNeil, I don't really see the appeal. He is just a young Siggy. Great feet, can put in a good ball but he is slow and he suits playing in a team where he can whip balls in for big strikers or picking up second balls around the box. He is by no means a bad player, I think he has a good head on him, but when it comes to putting him into a side that aims to be at the top end of the premier league table, I just don't see it.

sounds like we are on the same page here, concentrate of getting the spine of the team in to a decent shape - and maybe then even the attaching players we already have now might be able to do a more respectable job - we are not ready to waste more money upgrade the attacking players to continually feed of scraps or spend the best part of the games defending!!

for Dwight McNeil, I kind of mean if we do bring in attacking players let it be players that are young, talented, hungry to play,  reasonably priced, on a more modest wage, who would feel coming to Everton is a decent step up, but are also easy to offload or load out if they don't cut the mustard after a few year. A bit like we have done in the past with the likes of Lookman, Del boy or Vlasic. Admitted none of these have turned out as regular first teamers, but do this enough, and by the law of average some will end up staying longer and making a name for themselves at the club. It is also pretty difficult to lose massive amounts of money buys of this type of buy (Iwobi may prove me wrong :D ) - but generally close to braking even on these types of buys.