IGNORED

Carabao Cup

MikeO

18 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I’d keep the league cup but make it for Championship to League 2 and let them compete for a Euro place. Like an FA Cup but without the PL teams always winning 

55 minutes ago, Matt said:

I’d keep the league cup but make it for Championship to League 2 and let them compete for a Euro place. Like an FA Cup but without the PL teams always winning 

No chance of there being a Euro place for it if that happened. They'd get bombed most seasons they were in it more than likely, negatively impacting our coefficient score which would then threaten how many European places we got each season.

9 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

No chance of there being a Euro place for it if that happened. They'd get bombed most seasons they were in it more than likely, negatively impacting our coefficient score which would then threaten how many European places we got each season.

True. It’d be nice to help the lower leagues to develop though 

18 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

It would be even nicer to help Everton to develop!

How does the league cup help with that? It adds a competition / fixtures that no one takes seriously, including us, in an already condensed schedule. 

9 minutes ago, Matt said:

How does the league cup help with that? It adds a competition / fixtures that no one takes seriously, including us, in an already condensed schedule. 

Without wanting to start the entire debate again it can help in several ways, it’s our most realistic chance of winning a trophy, gets us in Europe, attracts better calibration of player etc etc 

If you haven’t already watch Howard’s Way and see how important the players feel that League Cup tie against Oxford was in setting them on their way to becoming the most successful Everton side in history

43 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Without wanting to start the entire debate again it can help in several ways, it’s our most realistic chance of winning a trophy, gets us in Europe, attracts better calibration of player etc etc 

If you haven’t already watch Howard’s Way and see how important the players feel that League Cup tie against Oxford was in setting them on their way to becoming the most successful Everton side in history

Don’t get me wrong, if it stays as it is I want us to go at it full throttle as I’ve stated repeatedly. But if it’s going to be cancelled or changed from it’s current state, I’d like the Europa spot to stay and give and help develop the lower leagues. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, Bailey said:

If we get past Fleetwood its West Ham or Hull at home. 

Good draw.

Quite pleased with that to be honest, two clubs that are an absolute mess behind the scenes - something which would probably filter down onto the pitch. 

Would prefer Hull, but would be very disasapointed if we exited at the hands of West Ham - two sides that we should be beating comfortably there IMO. 

The draw elsewhere looks good too, Liverpool to play Arsenal and Chelsea to play Spurs.

23 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Moyes given the chance will build a decent team, i just dont think he's the right fit at the minute with WHU. I dont think anyone is the right fit under their current ownership and can smell trouble for them this season. 

I don't see anything about Moyes that says building a decent team.  He struck gold at Everton on the low fees high wages model.  It's all different now.   

He's had loads of chances to prove himself and failed to live up to his Everton reputation

23 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

I don't see anything about Moyes that says building a decent team.  He struck gold at Everton on the low fees high wages model.  It's all different now.   

He's had loads of chances to prove himself and failed to live up to his Everton reputation

i agree with you here Haf.  It seems he does better with strict boundaries and limitations.  the unlimited money (united, WH) hasn't been kind to him.

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

i'm guessing by then the bigger clubs are facing each other.  still it's a very favorable draw that Carlo will be well aware of.  let's hope we take advantage.

They already have, Liverpool have drawn Arsenal and Chelsea have drawn Spurs. That's two of the larger sides already out - just the two Manchester clubs that haven't faced each other yet. 

Very unfair to Orient to be told they've forfeited their game against Spurs. It's an incentive for clubs not to test their players for the coronavirus.

Mind you, this might be a double-edged sword for Spurs. Now they have a League game this weekend, a Cup game against Chelsea maybe on Tuesday, a Europa League match on Thursday, and another League game next weekend. In their shoes, I'd rather wish the Cup game was postponed or that they forfeit, too.

34 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

No it wouldn't. If clubs didn't test their players they'd not be allowed to play the game.

There should be some compensation to Orient for doing the right thing, then. Maybe they should receive a share of the TV revenues from the Chelsea-Spurs match. A forfeit like this disproportionately harms the small team.

Incidentally, do we honestly believe Spurs would have been forced to forfeit if the situation were reversed?

37 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

There should be some compensation to Orient for doing the right thing, then. Maybe they should receive a share of the TV revenues from the Chelsea-Spurs match. A forfeit like this disproportionately harms the small team.

Incidentally, do we honestly believe Spurs would have been forced to forfeit if the situation were reversed?

No alternative though really. Can’t hold the entire competition up for weeks. I imagine this will incentivize teams to be diligent about their Covid precautions.