IGNORED

Carabao Cup

MikeO

1 hour ago, Cornish Steve said:

Given that the winner of the EFL Cup this year doesn't qualify for the Europa League, what exactly is this new 'Uefa Europa Conference League' they've created? Is it a European equivalent to the FA Vase?

just reading about this.  it's a new league that is below CL and Europa.  it is a third tier european competition that's brand new.  the winners will win qualification to the Europa league the next year.  it's supposed to give teams from smaller countries more chances to win.  the larger football leagues only get 1 entry, whereas smaller ones get more than 1.  

7 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Given that the winner of the EFL Cup this year doesn't qualify for the Europa League, what exactly is this new 'Uefa Europa Conference League' they've created? Is it a European equivalent to the FA Vase?

Given that we’ve never won this competition, I don’t give a shit. 

• 10 months later...
11 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Huddersfield away

Started the season by drawing to Derby County who had to play their dinner lady up front and managed to get in the next round of the Carabao Cup with a penalty victory over Sheffield Wednesday, another team who have about 7 players to their name.

I'm not well up on Huddersfield, but assume they're a bit shit. Hopefully means they'll just put the three goals past us :unsure:... 

Jokes aside, decent draw that - shouldn't be any problems.

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Away to queens park rangers.  I’ll take it.  Should be another winnable match, let’s hope Rafa takes it more serious

When I lived in London (1985-1994) and went to all London games Loftus Road was the pits for us, we just never seemed to perform; one game in particular (don't remember the exact year) we had our record breaking team and were 3-0 down at HT.

Other memory of LR was as a kid, one of the first games my dad took me and my brother to in probably around 1969, because a goalkeeper from our local non-league side (Alan Spratley) was playing for them v West Ham. Finished a 2-2 draw but the abiding memory is that the toilets were being rebuilt so had been replaced by dustbins....with no drainage...so being a little kid I had to stand on tip-toe to reach a totally full bin held together by surface tension. Not something you forget:unsure:

8 hours ago, MikeO said:

When I lived in London (1985-1994) and went to all London games Loftus Road was the pits for us, we just never seemed to perform; one game in particular (don't remember the exact year) we had our record breaking team and were 3-0 down at HT.

Other memory of LR was as a kid, one of the first games my dad took me and my brother to in probably around 1969, because a goalkeeper from our local non-league side (Alan Spratley) was playing for them v West Ham. Finished a 2-2 draw but the abiding memory is that the toilets were being rebuilt so had been replaced by dustbins....with no drainage...so being a little kid I had to stand on tip-toe to reach a totally full bin held together by surface tension. Not something you forget:unsure:

How resourceful we were in those days without out all the Health and Safety regulations ruling our lives, pissing in a dustbin and the good old days of Izal shinny toilet paper when we were in infants and juniors, that’s what made us strong and resilient, none of this namby pamby bollocks from the state or kids having a meltdown because they’ve got no Wi-fi 😀

11 hours ago, MikeO said:

I recall us being particularly crap at QPR and Luton with their plastic pitches. 

The thought of playing professional footy on that is farcical.  They definitely had an unfair advantage. 

40 minutes ago, Formby said:

I remember us beating them 4-0 away on the opening day of the season in 1976. The report in the paper next day read 'Latchford Runs Rings Round Runners-up'. I was made up. 

We beat them 5-1 the year after, too. QPR had a decent team.

Ten league matches at Loftus Road from 1983 on...

2-0, 0-0, 3-0 (1985, by HT, remember it well, line-up below), 0-1👍, 1-0, 1-0, 1-1, 3-1, 4-2, 2-1.

So W1 D2 L7, first five on plastic pitch admittedly.

Capture.JPG