IGNORED

West Ham home 19th october

Peter H

Currently on holiday in Croatia so could only follow the game via the Twitter page, the beer tastes so much better after three points 🍻. Just looking at the stats it sounded as if we really attacked them and didn't really give a sniff, the only moment of panic was when Ogbonna forced Pickford into a save. 

For all the criticism that Marco has had (mostly justified) it's worth praising him for today. Dropped Sigurdsson and mixed things up, including dropping all of our strikers and playing Richie up top. Plan B's, C's and D's are what we need, especially when up against it. 

Time to build a little run together, considering how tight the league is still it only takes three to six points to suddenly be fighting for Europe again. 

10 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Anyone else worried that Gylfi's goal will convince Marco to start him against Brighton?

Never heard "worried" and "goal" in the same sentence before. I really couldn't care less who scored. If Sigurdsson plays next week then surely he has earned it, coming off the bench and scoring is all we could have asked?

20 hours ago, TallPaul1878 said:

You know, that isn't far off from what I have been thinking. I think both Richarlison and DCL would benefit from playing as a front 2. Richarlison would be able to profit from the knock downs that DCL wins on the regular.

Tom Davies must have kicked Silva's puppy or something because he isn't gonna get a sniff.

Was glad to see Tom Davies getting a start today and performing well. Kept the play moving with quick, simple, passes, that helped sustain the pressure we were applying 👍

The only thing I can complain about is that we only scored 2. It should’ve been a shellacking for West Ham. We were utterly dominant and there wasn’t a player that had a bad game. 

Tough in defence, energetic in attack. And we had a midfield and striker full of energy, that never stopped moving when we were attacking and hounding their defenders when they had the ball. Without the likes of Delph, Schneiderlin and a Sigurdsson we look a different beast. 

Best game of the season by far from us, far more direct, driven by Tom and Gomes, Iwobi also played with more energy than Siggy does, but still made a few errors, as everyone seemed to at some point. Overall the team seemed far more positive, we took far more shots on goal from distance than we have previously, same starting 11 next week please.

Really, really good performance. We still lack that cutting edge that would have seen us demolish West Ham but no complaints about application or quality everywhere else on the pitch. Gomes makes a massive difference for us, ran the midfield today, Davies was good alongside him, Walcott and Iwobi played really well too. 

As I said before the game, this is a West Ham team that isn't to be feared, especially away from home and so it proved. They were tame and their better players couldn't find anything to pull them out of the game, largely due to some good and tenacious defending. They threatened a mini revival after half time and had a couple of half chances but as soon as they went back to a 442 we were cutting through with ease.

The most notable thing for me was how easy it was for us to get the ball forward. Iwobi always had the drop on Rice, it was like the latter had to count to 2 before he could run after him. They aren't very pacey at the back so the threat of Richarlison and Walcott getting in behind was always on their mind and we had acres of space to play in. When I have spoken about Siggurdson in previous games I have said how important it is for us to get him on the ball more because his number of touches per game was terrible and today Iwobi had 1 more touch than Davies (53 and 52 respectively). That is how important he was to our overall play. We actually had 3 midfielders in the game for once and we also had Bernard heavily involved with 58 touches. It was just so simple to play through them but credit to the players on the pitch in that they didnt turn down the opportunity to play those passes as others might have. Davies in particular kept things as simple as possible. He got the ball down and played it to the man in space in front of him and then got ready for the return. Gomes played a little more coyly in waiting for the right forward pass a little more but they didn't over play (unlike Bernard!).

I was worried about how that midfield would cope from a defensive point of view, and whilst they did get behind them unmarked a couple of times, they were able to bottle them up well enough and West Ham showed such little quality on the ball, the likes of Haller, Anderson/Yarmalenko and Lanzini just werent a threat. Sidibe came in and played really well himself. He pressed really well, he put in some good challenges and was always available. Mina and Keane were commanding, the former making a couple of key blocks/deflections to help his team.

It was a bold team selection and a good performance to go with it, but I would like to see us repeat it before I get carried away and think we have turned a corner.

Big game, great result and it could have been so much better.

Mina was a monster - absolutely loving him.

Digne is the captain - end of.

Davies - wanted him in a 3 but he ran non stop and played some excellent short passes, moved it quickly. Exactly what I want from him. Guttered he didn’t score.

Iwobi, dangerous playing on the half turn and showed us what we’ve been missing. Guilty of over dribbling but very very good.

Marco - good, brave team choice - payed off. More of this from Marco and more of this from the players ( who are clearly behind him )

I know it was just one game but, like the end of last season, it's given me confidence that Silva's ideas are good ones and that he does actually have a plan.

That was a set of players that were playing to a plan, who knew their roles, and carried out their instructions to a tee. We had skill and toughness out there. And I don't mean there were some players being skillful and others putting a foot in; all of the players had both sides of the game. I just want us to show it on a consistent basis because the football on show yesterday really was enjoyable to watch. And, tbh, I'm sick to death of changing managers and having to wait while new ideas are implemented and new players are settled in. So, I've got my fingers crossed that it's clicked for Silva after yesterday and he doesn't change back when Delph recovers, Coleman is available and that Sig's goal doesn't influence his mindset.

On 06/10/2019 at 21:54, Zoo 2.0 said:

West Ham are shit, but one of those hard-working teams that get results against others that aren't up for the fight. I fear that with Hallier in form they'll battle through to three points with a goal or two, I just don't think that we're mentally ready for a game of this ilk although obviously happy to be proven wrong. 

If Silva was going to be sacked he would probably have gone by now, the post match debrief with the Directors would have taken place today so unless they're spending the night sleeping on it would have expected him gone this afternoon. No doubt the feelers are out (and probably have been for some time) on a replacement. 

Norway is my favourite place on Earth, go there if you can. Can't recommend it enough.

Estonia is really nice too if you're wanting to spend time in Scandinavia. I'd put them above Denmark/Finland/Sweden although don't think you'd go wrong spending time there either.

Estonia isnt a part of Scandinavia

14 hours ago, Btay said:

Big game, great result and it could have been so much better.

Mina was a monster - absolutely loving him.

Digne is the captain - end of.

Davies - wanted him in a 3 but he ran non stop and played some excellent short passes, moved it quickly. Exactly what I want from him. Guttered he didn’t score.

Iwobi, dangerous playing on the half turn and showed us what we’ve been missing. Guilty of over dribbling but very very good.

Marco - good, brave team choice - payed off. More of this from Marco and more of this from the players ( who are clearly behind him )

Completely agree and would add full credit to Walcott. Always been a critic of his but he played well. Happy to be wrong yesterday, hopefully he can keep some sort of form.