IGNORED

Carlo Ancelotti

On 14/03/2021 at 14:15, BedfordBlue said:

Weres he getting £200m from no way are we spending anywhere near that we don't need a keeper nothing wrong with Pickford 

I'm still of the opinion that we should cash in on Jordan Pickford. I know it's not a popular opinion, but Aaron Ramsdale will be available when the Blades are relegated and he's already an England U-21 player with Prem experience. Last year, I was all for trading Pickford for Henderson and cash; there's no way ManU were going to part with him, though, and Henderson is working out very well for them.

34 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Not trying to single you out, but I've seen a fair number of people on here say something along the lines of "once we get Walcott, Tosun, Delph, Bolasie off our books in the summer"...why are people so confident that we'll find buyers for these guys? Feel like we've had plenty of seasons recently where we were trying to offload guys, never happened, and they rode the bench all season. 

Would gladly hear someone prove me wrong and give me some hope as to these players being gone when we start next season

Well Bolasie and Walcott are out of contract so doubt they’ll be getting extensions. Tosun is back at Besiktas - a club where he is adored - a permanent deal will be done unless he gets injured again. Delph? I’m sure we’ll try to offload him.

13 minutes ago, c1982 said:

Well Bolasie and Walcott are out of contract so doubt they’ll be getting extensions. Tosun is back at Besiktas - a club where he is adored - a permanent deal will be done unless he gets injured again. Delph? I’m sure we’ll try to offload him.

Oh great, wasn't aware of Bolasie and Walcott's contract situations. 

And I feel bad for whoever takes Delph from us. That would be a shit decision by that club, on par with spending £28m on Alex Iwobi. I mean truly, what sort of club would make decisions like this??

On 14/03/2021 at 16:52, Palfy said:

Agreed this isn’t his team it’s pretty much an inherited team we’ve hardly witnessed, Allan Doucoure James and Godfrey on the pitch at the same time, but when we have we’ve done better

Pretty much said the same thing a few days ago when he was being compared to Allardyce. 

23 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Oh great, wasn't aware of Bolasie and Walcott's contract situations. 

And I feel bad for whoever takes Delph from us. That would be a shit decision by that club, on par with spending £28m on Alex Iwobi. I mean truly, what sort of club would make decisions like this??

Besic out of contract too. 

3 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

I'm still of the opinion that we should cash in on Jordan Pickford. I know it's not a popular opinion, but Aaron Ramsdale will be available when the Blades are relegated and he's already an England U-21 player with Prem experience. Last year, I was all for trading Pickford for Henderson and cash; there's no way ManU were going to part with him, though, and Henderson is working out very well for them.

Ramsdale, fucking hell :lol:. Replace him by all means but replace him with someone who is actually good. Ramsdale is utter shite and isn’t fit to even look at Pickford’s boots, never mind tie them. 

I think we’ll need to look abroad if we’re going to replace Pickford - Ramsdale is a big no from me. Martinez was an obvious one that stood out last summer domestically but I don’t see many realistic options that would be an upgrade. I like the look of Meisler at Leeds but he’s very young and ‘unproven’ and Areola has looked excellent at times at Fulham (owned by PSG) - I like how commanding he is. I do wonder if we’ll stick with Pickford and maybe pick Romero up on a free (maybe 2 yr option) as better competition than Olssen. I’m not a Pickford fan but must say I’ve been reassured lately - hopefully it’s been in his head and the support put in place is beginning to pay off.

13 hours ago, c1982 said:

Tosun is back at Besiktas - a club where he is adored - a permanent deal will be done unless he gets injured again.

Stats suggest he is injured again. Played an hour of a cup game on 11th Feb then came on as a sub in the league on Feb 15th (scored two late goals to win the game) but since then not even been on the bench.

37 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Stats suggest he is injured again. Played an hour of a cup game on 11th Feb then came on as a sub in the league on Feb 15th (scored two late goals to win the game) but since then not even been on the bench.

Shame for him really, but at least he’s found his level where he will shine and enjoy his football. 

On 16/03/2021 at 08:11, Matt said:

Where are those 3 out of curiosity?

With the squads Brighton and Leeds have they have they should probably be relegated!

Arsenal fans will be disappointed with their season as well but they do have two trophies already with Arteta. I bet there isn't much difference in points between Arteta and Ancellotti since they took over their respective sides.

On 16/03/2021 at 10:07, Hafnia said:

Go back to the first 7/8 games of the season.  Expansive, attacking football where we were conceding but getting out of jail by scoring more than we conceded. 

The injuries exposed the weakness in our squad and games against Southampton and Newcastle proved this.

The fully fit first 11 was an indication as to where Ancellotti wants us but he has had to be pragmatic about tactics with a paper thin squad and fixture congestion and injuries.

Nowhere in Ancellottis history does it indicate he has a Moyes mindset ... But everywhere in Ancellottis history does it indicate that quite frankly - he forgotten far more than you or I know about the game. I know ... Very tough to take is that. 

Excluding the cup games we played Spurs, West Brom, Palace, Brighton and then Liverpool. We were excellent at Spurs, easily our best performance of the season in my opinion. We were brilliant in attack and defence. The next three games went as you stated in that we outscored the opposition and it was great to watch. Palace gave us a bit of a fright and Brighton should have scored more but we played some great stuff going forward. We somehow managed to scrape a draw against the shite and then were beaten all over the park by Southampton. 

In the Southampton game the only real absentee was Richarlison. Coleman didnt play but he isnt guarenteed games any more and we know he cant play two games a week very often even when fit. The side that was stuffed by Utd only missed Richarlison. The side that stuttered past Fulham only missed Coleman. The side beaten by Leeds and drew with Burnley only missed Digne and Coleman. 

If we cant perform with one or two players being out of the line-up then we have huge problems. 

On 19/03/2021 at 19:06, c1982 said:

This fails to take into account that other sides are in the same boat. Lots of teams have had lots of injuries this season to key players. When one of those players is a bit of a sick note then that is always going to be the case.

50 minutes ago, Bailey said:

With the squads Brighton and Leeds have they have they should probably be relegated!

Arsenal fans will be disappointed with their season as well but they do have two trophies already with Arteta. I bet there isn't much difference in points between Arteta and Ancellotti since they took over their respective sides.

Excluding the cup games we played Spurs, West Brom, Palace, Brighton and then Liverpool. We were excellent at Spurs, easily our best performance of the season in my opinion. We were brilliant in attack and defence. The next three games went as you stated in that we outscored the opposition and it was great to watch. Palace gave us a bit of a fright and Brighton should have scored more but we played some great stuff going forward. We somehow managed to scrape a draw against the shite and then were beaten all over the park by Southampton. 

In the Southampton game the only real absentee was Richarlison. Coleman didnt play but he isnt guarenteed games any more and we know he cant play two games a week very often even when fit. The side that was stuffed by Utd only missed Richarlison. The side that stuttered past Fulham only missed Coleman. The side beaten by Leeds and drew with Burnley only missed Digne and Coleman. 

If we cant perform with one or two players being out of the line-up then we have huge problems. 

This fails to take into account that other sides are in the same boat. Lots of teams have had lots of injuries this season to key players. When one of those players is a bit of a sick note then that is always going to be the case.

Coleman missing was huge as it meant James was exposed and exposed full back in return. 

17 hours ago, c1982 said:

Brighton and Leeds have squads full of players that fit the manager’s system/philosophy. Everton and Arsenal have had to do a lot of clearing of expensive deadwood which has hindered recruitment up to now. I’d say Brighton and Leeds have far more settled squads than us or Arsenal - would most of our players or Arsenal’s players get into a Leeds or Brighton 1st team? Probably... but it’s so much more than just having ‘better’ players - balance/options/fit for purpose back-up - hopefully recruitment will be as good as it was last summer and we keep on improving.

@Bailey what are your expections? As it seems you either have a very high opinion of some of our players that have been so poor for the past however many seasons or you have a very low opinion of Ancelotti, someone who most accept isn’t necessarily getting us playing beautiful football but is helping us to compete at the right end of the league - most would have been feeling optimistic sitting 5 points off 4th with a game in hand with 10 games left to play at the start of the season.

Firstly I will just clarify that my original point was in respect of teams that can attack with structure. I was giving examples that it was clearly very possible with average players as long as you work on it on the training ground. I also gave Tuchel as an example earlier in the thread of the difference a manager can make when they come into the fold at short notice and how they can mould teams into their style of play. They may have better players etc etc but both of these types of team show that quality of players and not enough time on the training ground are not excuses for our lack of attacking structure. Does anyone think that is an unreasonable argument?

My expectations are around style of play than actual performance. If you do the right things consistently enough, the results will come. In fact Tuchel in his draw with Leeds said:

"I don't want to be too harsh because sometimes it's hard to score. As long as we have chances, and lots of touches in the box, the results will be there."

There are several ways to win games of football but the most successful and consistently successful sides in the top leagues regularly dominate possession, they play higher up the pitch and they play compactly and they press aggressively. They also have patterns of play in attack and don't rely on one main outlet. We don't do many of these things and it isn't because we don't have the players or because we have injuries. In my opinion they are cop-outs. For example yesterday Leicester beat Utd 3-1 with 4 injuries in key positions (Justin, Pereira, Barnes & Maddison).

Even if you look to win games on the back foot you still need to be able to play through the opposition press and regularly counter attack through the opposition deep into the opponents half. If you don't you end up crumbling under the pressure of the waves of attack. The West Ham v Arsenal game was an example of that. West Ham's ability to counter attack and hold onto the ball for the last hour of the game led to wave after wave of Arsenal attack. They put a couple together at the end against a team that was becoming increasingly desperate, but Arsenal could have easily been level just after half time.

That doesn't mean that I think we have this wonderful squad of players that doesn't mean improving upon. Ancellotti has had 3 windows now and he has made the decision to set us up like we have been. He said before and after the Burnley game that he wanted us to play with a more attacking mindset but we looked completely unprepared for what was coming and we didn't do anything you would expect of that type of team (i.e high pressing aggression, width, quick passing). The players in that came were capable but Burnley's game plan was better than ours and they attacked much more effectively than we did.

My opinion on Ancellotti is reserved. I was extremely disappointed with him last season, and I was ecstatic with him at the beginning of this season but game after game I have become more and more disappointed because we look more like a side that is trying to win a game through a set piece than having any plan in our attacking shape. I am not one to take into account past glories. It is all about the here and now and my Judgment is very much out because of the 18 months or so that he has been here, despite a better squad, there was a period of 1 to 2 months where I actually thought that we looked like a good football team.

Ultimately all I want is for Everton to be successful and win trophies and play in Europe. I don't see us taking those steps forward and whilst we may look close to the teams above us in the league, our performances are nowhere near them and not only are we at risk of dropping away from them in a season that we have a lot of opportunities (no Europe, modest cup runs, the general Covid hangover), but if we keep playing like this next season, I only see us dropping away further. If we can't bridge that gap with Ancellotti, James, £70million in spending and God knows how much on the wage bill, then when is it going to happen?

If nothing else, hopefully you will sleep well if you get to the end of that :)

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Firstly I will just clarify that my original point was in respect of teams that can attack with structure. I was giving examples that it was clearly very possible with average players as long as you work on it on the training ground. I also gave Tuchel as an example earlier in the thread of the difference a manager can make when they come into the fold at short notice and how they can mould teams into their style of play. They may have better players etc etc but both of these types of team show that quality of players and not enough time on the training ground are not excuses for our lack of attacking structure. Does anyone think that is an unreasonable argument?

My expectations are around style of play than actual performance. If you do the right things consistently enough, the results will come. In fact Tuchel in his draw with Leeds said:

"I don't want to be too harsh because sometimes it's hard to score. As long as we have chances, and lots of touches in the box, the results will be there."

There are several ways to win games of football but the most successful and consistently successful sides in the top leagues regularly dominate possession, they play higher up the pitch and they play compactly and they press aggressively. They also have patterns of play in attack and don't rely on one main outlet. We don't do many of these things and it isn't because we don't have the players or because we have injuries. In my opinion they are cop-outs. For example yesterday Leicester beat Utd 3-1 with 4 injuries in key positions (Justin, Pereira, Barnes & Maddison).

Even if you look to win games on the back foot you still need to be able to play through the opposition press and regularly counter attack through the opposition deep into the opponents half. If you don't you end up crumbling under the pressure of the waves of attack. The West Ham v Arsenal game was an example of that. West Ham's ability to counter attack and hold onto the ball for the last hour of the game led to wave after wave of Arsenal attack. They put a couple together at the end against a team that was becoming increasingly desperate, but Arsenal could have easily been level just after half time.

That doesn't mean that I think we have this wonderful squad of players that doesn't mean improving upon. Ancellotti has had 3 windows now and he has made the decision to set us up like we have been. He said before and after the Burnley game that he wanted us to play with a more attacking mindset but we looked completely unprepared for what was coming and we didn't do anything you would expect of that type of team (i.e high pressing aggression, width, quick passing). The players in that came were capable but Burnley's game plan was better than ours and they attacked much more effectively than we did.

My opinion on Ancellotti is reserved. I was extremely disappointed with him last season, and I was ecstatic with him at the beginning of this season but game after game I have become more and more disappointed because we look more like a side that is trying to win a game through a set piece than having any plan in our attacking shape. I am not one to take into account past glories. It is all about the here and now and my Judgment is very much out because of the 18 months or so that he has been here, despite a better squad, there was a period of 1 to 2 months where I actually thought that we looked like a good football team.

Ultimately all I want is for Everton to be successful and win trophies and play in Europe. I don't see us taking those steps forward and whilst we may look close to the teams above us in the league, our performances are nowhere near them and not only are we at risk of dropping away from them in a season that we have a lot of opportunities (no Europe, modest cup runs, the general Covid hangover), but if we keep playing like this next season, I only see us dropping away further. If we can't bridge that gap with Ancellotti, James, £70million in spending and God knows how much on the wage bill, then when is it going to happen?

If nothing else, hopefully you will sleep well if you get to the end of that :)

But could you expand on that a bit 😂

A well thought out post. I think the expansive football will come next season with more time for Carlo to sort out the right side of our team and a stronger squad to play more aggressive football. 

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

Inherited a side that was heading for relegation ... No question about it. Dunc reversed the momentum but it wasn't sustainable - players absolutely running their legs off and looking likely to burn out.

Ancellotti has done a good job.... A great job if you look at the patience he's shown with players who would struggle to get in any of his worst sides. 

Signed Allan, James, nkounkou, Doucoure, Godfrey..... Was in the mix for Gabriel and hojiberg.  The players he has signed or almost signed have been very good. 

I look forward to his second transfer window. 

Forgot about Nkounkou, I think he was bought as a player for the future more than for now, I also think Godfrey was looked at as a prospect for the future as well but when he got a decent run due injuries he proved he was more than ready now, and Ancelotti stuck with him and made the most of his versatility. 

On 22/03/2021 at 17:32, Palfy said:

Ancelotti has been here for 3 windows, he joined the club end of December and didn’t buy in the January window because has he said he needed to assess what he had and what he needed. In the summer window he bought 4 players all of who have made an improvement to the team unfortunately because of injuries we haven’t seen them play together as much as we would have liked, but the 6 games they have managed together we have won 5 and drawn 1. Then this winter window we bought no one, we did make approaches I believe for 1 or 2 but they didn’t come off, but he didn’t panic buy which others have done and repented, I’m happy we have a manager who is prepared to wait for the right personnel and not buy to please it’s the end of the world supporters. 
We are in good hands with Ancelotti and given the proper time to put his team together will pay dividends in the long term. 

I don't get why it needs all 6 of them to play together for it to be a thing. Was 5 of them in the starting line-up not enough? Can we not play good football with 4 or 5 of them in the starting line-up? I am not saying we would be at our best, but why do we accept playing so poorly?

With someone like James we know that isn't going to happen regularly anyway and Allan is 30 now and I wouldn't count on him being able to play every game of the season next year.

I have no problem with waiting for players, but that is Ancellotti's decision and he should be judged on that decision. That is the same with the players being let go that may have helped the squad be more balanced. (Kean, Walcott, Kenny, Bolasie :P ).

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

If I’m honest, we’ve only been an exciting attacking team for a handful of matches when on a purple patch at the start of the season.

Other than that we’ve been involved in matches that could have easily gone either way. 
I feel we’re still a bit away from being a serious top four contender, even though we are contending if that makes sense.

Yes that makes perfect sense, if we are not a serious top 4 contender yet we are contending, we most be a Joke or imposter contender. In all seriousness we are over achieving in some respects when you look at how we perform on the pitch, we are not playing free flowing football with good possession, yet we are digging in and getting results, so we can look at this in a couple of ways. 1) do we think this is down to Ancelotti and the way he wants to play football, or 2) do we think this is because he’s trying to do what he can with what’s at his disposal. If we think it’s number 1 then we need to move him on because the players might change but the tactics won’t. If we believe it’s number 2 then he’s doing well with a team of players that aren’t able to play how he wants, and when he’s given time to bring his own blend of players in then we will see a different style of play. Bailey mentions 4 players who were let go that may of added some balance to the squad if a bit tongue in cheek when mentioning them, but we have to let players go to make room for others, them 4 enabled James Allan Doucoure and Godfrey to join, who would Bailey rather have? You can’t have them all we’ve already got the highest wages bill based on turnover in the league as it is. 
Personally I’m more than happy with how we are progressing since Ancelotti joined, not by the style of play at the moment but with the players he has brought in and the calibre of players I think we will get going forward under him, another 3 or 4 in the next couple of windows to go along with what he’s already brought in and things will hopefully look a lot different if not he will be another one added to the list of being shown the door. 

I'm very much looking forward to next season. Carlo will have another transfer window to continue to shape and mold this team into what he envisions, and we won't have the congested fixture list like we had this year, which likely resulted in so many of our injuries that have damaged our European hopes. 

If we can off-load a bunch of dead weight and high wages (which I think will be harder to do than many assume), and we can bring in the type of quality players like we did in last summer's window, I very much believe we will be right in the mix for a top 6 finish next season

I’ll go with 2 Palfy.

One thing Carlo does seem to be adding is a bit of steel to existing players. I watch City a lot and always notice that Jesus seems offended that other players are on the pitch Playing against him. It’s like he can’t understand how so many mediocre players are allowed to grace his universal greatness.

But to be at the top a player has to believe he is the best and that he a go past that player, tackle that player, win that header, beat that keeper.

Carlo is slowly finding motivated, mobile, tough players. 
And to be honest, that’s how I always see Everton as a club. Belief!

18 hours ago, Bailey said:

I don't get why it needs all 6 of them to play together for it to be a thing. Was 5 of them in the starting line-up not enough? Can we not play good football with 4 or 5 of them in the starting line-up? I am not saying we would be at our best, but why do we accept playing so poorly?

With someone like James we know that isn't going to happen regularly anyway and Allan is 30 now and I wouldn't count on him being able to play every game of the season next year.

I have no problem with waiting for players, but that is Ancellotti's decision and he should be judged on that decision. That is the same with the players being let go that may have helped the squad be more balanced. (Kean, Walcott, Kenny, Bolasie :P ).

Are you saying Ancellotti should be doing business in January?  

I love a transfer and we need strengthening without question but we have squandered money galore which is why we actually need the transfers - but January is no good, never has been barring the odd exception.  If you want to buy quality then expect to pay 30% more. 

For me it also comes down to Ancellotti getting time to see how his summer transfers settle and how it shapes his strategy. 

We need another 5 first team players which will then tip the balance of the team as being pretty much Carlos as a minimum. 

Goalkeeper, centre half/right back, centre mid, forward 

4 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Are you saying Ancellotti should be doing business in January?  

I love a transfer and we need strengthening without question but we have squandered money galore which is why we actually need the transfers - but January is no good, never has been barring the odd exception.  If you want to buy quality then expect to pay 30% more. 

For me it also comes down to Ancellotti getting time to see how his summer transfers settle and how it shapes his strategy. 

We need another 5 first team players which will then tip the balance of the team as being pretty much Carlos as a minimum. 

Goalkeeper, centre half/right back, centre mid, forward 

.....right wing?

8 hours ago, Shukes said:

I’ll go with 2 Palfy.

One thing Carlo does seem to be adding is a bit of steel to existing players. I watch City a lot and always notice that Jesus seems offended that other players are on the pitch Playing against him. It’s like he can’t understand how so many mediocre players are allowed to grace his universal greatness.

But to be at the top a player has to believe he is the best and that he a go past that player, tackle that player, win that header, beat that keeper.

Carlo is slowly finding motivated, mobile, tough players. 
And to be honest, that’s how I always see Everton as a club. Belief!

I’d be happy with 2 Shukester, because they will be first team contenders and not mistakes, I think we are done with quantity over quality with Ancelotti.