IGNORED

James Rodríguez

3 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

By his nose ring ... Yep.  Played 80/82 games and was one of their most valuable players for the season.  

I don't think fans and teammates would have been delighted by it but he delivered on the court in shows of unbelievable workrate and physical dominance.   I don't believe he tested cos he was tired ...... Or bailed out in the final games. 

Shocked that you of all people see that as being acceptable. You want discipline, you complain of players with attitudes and acting above their station, you want team work above all else. Yet a player in Rodman fucks off to Vegas with Carmen Electra mid season, that is everything that you would hate in a footballer but it’s ok for Rodman because the team were successful. You would want him out of your club immediately. 

7 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Story is though that he was allowed to go for 48 hours but didn't come back when due, took Jordan turning up and pulling him out of his hotel bed.

And he was only allowed to go because if the Bulls didn’t allow it he was going to go anyway. He pretty much held them to ransom and won. 

23 minutes ago, StevO said:

Shocked that you of all people see that as being acceptable. You want discipline, you complain of players with attitudes and acting above their station, you want team work above all else. Yet a player in Rodman fucks off to Vegas with Carmen Electra mid season, that is everything that you would hate in a footballer but it’s ok for Rodman because the team were successful. You would want him out of your club immediately. 

Maybe you are finding it hard to imagine Everton as being the best team in the world with the best player of all time along with several hall of famers basically dominating week in week out. One hall of famer being Rodman himself.  

Im not.

Correct me if I'm wrong but in my time on toffeetalk we have won nothing..... Zilch 

So how would you know I wouldn't be ok with Rodman doing a 48 hour bender?  Because we have absolutely no basis for comparison.

My likely take would be "fine the nob head and he better out in a shift at the weekend" ......

24 minutes ago, StevO said:

And he was only allowed to go because if the Bulls didn’t allow it he was going to go anyway. He pretty much held them to ransom and won. 

Not really cos the coach allowed it the year before...... At no detriment. 

GQ article:-

In Rodman's defense, he worked himself back into shape remarkably quickly. For all of his off-the-court antics, he was always a gym rat, and kept an unusual workout routine for a hooper: he'd head to a court with friends at three or four in the morning, and asked them to shoot around. He, meanwhile, focused solely on... rebounding. He learned to react to where the ball was coming off the rim, and it paid off with seven NBA rebounding titles. "Dennis was one of the smartest guys I ever played with," Jordan says in The Last Dance. Adds Rodman: "I was pretty much like that rash that players couldn't get rid of."

I'm really struggling to find the parallels between Rodman and Rodriguez tbh......  

We really need to fookin win something cos this fan adoration for players who have won us fuck all is nauseating. 

You brought the last dance into the Rodriguez thread 😂

Im just picking up on Rodmans attitude and lifestyle and everything I’ve seen of your opinion on footballers over the last decade. I don’t think for one minute you’d be happy with a player like that for Everton. Everything about Rodman off the court is pretty much everything you don’t like in a footballer. But being ok with it because he produced the goods? Lukaku would have scored two goals for Everton in the same week as talking about playing for a champions league club and you’d kill him for it. But you’d be ok with Rodmans lifestyle because the Bulls won that year? Just doesn’t make sense to me. You don’t tolerate players giving what you deem to be less than 100% and I respect that, but you accept it because they are winning? That’s not something I’ve seen from you in the last decade mate. Yeah Everton haven’t won a thing, but I’m shocked you would consider it ok on the basis of team results. 

22 minutes ago, StevO said:

You brought the last dance into the Rodriguez thread 😂

Im just picking up on Rodmans attitude and lifestyle and everything I’ve seen of your opinion on footballers over the last decade. I don’t think for one minute you’d be happy with a player like that for Everton. Everything about Rodman off the court is pretty much everything you don’t like in a footballer. But being ok with it because he produced the goods? Lukaku would have scored two goals for Everton in the same week as talking about playing for a champions league club and you’d kill him for it. But you’d be ok with Rodmans lifestyle because the Bulls won that year? Just doesn’t make sense to me. You don’t tolerate players giving what you deem to be less than 100% and I respect that, but you accept it because they are winning? That’s not something I’ve seen from you in the last decade mate. Yeah Everton haven’t won a thing, but I’m shocked you would consider it ok on the basis of team results. 

Like I say .... When you are winning things it becomes very difficult to pissed off if your stars are contributing to that very outcome.

Very easy to be pissed off at Lukaku,  he was publically wanting away to win things and more or less castigating us as a club in doing so. 

Am I a stickler for discipline? Yeah, especially when our club has had players idling on the pitch.   If I seen them busting a gut in every game but there was stories of them being out and about it's no where near as bad as it would be if they were playing shite and half arsed. 

As I say, we have no level grounds for comparison.  I know my own mind, whether it's contradictory I don't know.  

5 hours ago, Bailey said:

He has looked average. 

He looked incredible to start with, but gradually that eroded to the extent you wouldn't have known he was on the pitch. I think it was the Sheffield game where a cardboard cut out would have been better.

In terms of his ability, on the ball it is without question. Better than anything else I have seen in an Everton shirt, and probably by a distance too. Off the ball, probably the worst at the club. 

I struggle to see how you fit him into this side, without detracting from its unity. James is an unbelievable individual but he isn't a team player. With Rafa, I think the sum is greater than the individual parts (as it should be).

How much is that down to Carlo? Sticking him wide right in the premier league is a joke. Look at Doucoure this year and how much better he looks ( wasn’t even bad last year ) because he is playing in a role that suits him and the team. James needs to be central and involved in everything. 

Yes he got burnt for pace on the wing and the fullbacks in the prem are rapid so he’s never going to be able to stick with them but he defensive work rate is not as bad as it’s made out.

7 minutes ago, MikeO said:

So you know your own mind...or maybe you don't. That's that cleared up then:D

Whether my opinion is contradictory I don't know. ....  I do know my own mind and if we were winning things then I would likely be ok with a star player having a blow out if they do it on the pitch.

22 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Whether my opinion is contradictory I don't know. ....  I do know my own mind and if we were winning things then I would likely be ok with a star player having a blow out if they do it on the pitch.

Only messing Haf, "I know my own mind, but unsure if I'm contradicting myself" just made me think.

Does it make you conflicted or supremely self-aware? Answers on a postcard (do they still exist?).

59 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Like I say .... When you are winning things it becomes very difficult to pissed off if your stars are contributing to that very outcome.

Very easy to be pissed off at Lukaku,  he was publically wanting away to win things and more or less castigating us as a club in doing so. 

Am I a stickler for discipline? Yeah, especially when our club has had players idling on the pitch.   If I seen them busting a gut in every game but there was stories of them being out and about it's no where near as bad as it would be if they were playing shite and half arsed. 

As I say, we have no level grounds for comparison.  I know my own mind, whether it's contradictory I don't know.  

Let’s hope we have a team successful enough in the near future to find out. 🤞🏻

1 hour ago, Btay said:

How much is that down to Carlo? Sticking him wide right in the premier league is a joke. Look at Doucoure this year and how much better he looks ( wasn’t even bad last year ) because he is playing in a role that suits him and the team. James needs to be central and involved in everything. 

Yes he got burnt for pace on the wing and the fullbacks in the prem are rapid so he’s never going to be able to stick with them but his defensive work rate is not as bad as it’s made out.

He doesn't have a defensive work rate. 😀

14 hours ago, Bailey said:

He has looked average. 

He looked incredible to start with, but gradually that eroded to the extent you wouldn't have known he was on the pitch. I think it was the Sheffield game where a cardboard cut out would have been better.

In terms of his ability, on the ball it is without question. Better than anything else I have seen in an Everton shirt, and probably by a distance too. Off the ball, probably the worst at the club. 

I struggle to see how you fit him into this side, without detracting from its unity. James is an unbelievable individual but he isn't a team player. With Rafa, I think the sum is greater than the individual parts (as it should be).

This is my point. He is far from an average player. 
He might not fit into our team due to his play style, but he is like you say, an unbelievable individual. 
It’s a shame we can’t find a place for such a talented player. 

I would have loved to have saw him in an Everton shirt, but looks like that’s not going to happen now.

14 hours ago, Btay said:

Yes he got burnt for pace on the wing and the fullbacks in the prem are rapid so he’s never going to be able to stick with them but he defensive work rate is not as bad as it’s made out.

Arguably he was at his best in that wide right spot. Carlo did then move him centrally, but it doesn't really matter if he spends most of his time defending like he did last season. I doubt that will change much this season either.

5 hours ago, Shukes said:

This is my point. He is far from an average player. 
He might not fit into our team due to his play style, but he is like you say, an unbelievable individual. 
It’s a shame we can’t find a place for such a talented player. 

I would have loved to have saw him in an Everton shirt, but looks like that’s not going to happen now.

I don't think a lot of teams can find a place for a player like him. He is a bit of an enigma.

As I have said before, his talent is up there with the best but even the best sides need 11 players working hard and I am not sure where he fits in. I would say a lot of managers think the same because otherwise he wouldn't have joined us to start with and would already be out of the door this summer. 

16 hours ago, Hafnia said:

TT's version of Godwin's Rule.

5 minutes ago, pete0 said:

He's all smiles in training. All the sound bites suggest it's more Benetiz doesn't like him.

He doesn’t they have history but I think Benitez isn’t silly he wouldn’t let personal feelings cloud his judgment, if he thought James could do a job for him and the team he would 100% want him to stay, Benitez is all about the team and winning. And for all we know there both happy and he’s going no where. 

2 minutes ago, pete0 said:

He's all smiles in training. All the sound bites suggest it's more Benetiz doesn't like him.

He’s all smiles all the time. He’s a good looking millionaire footballer with a huge worldwide following that doesn’t get asked to defend..what’s not to be happy about? He came for Carlo and Carlo is gone. Can’t see him staying by choice though I wouldn’t expect him to rock the boat if a deal doesn’t come off. More likely he makes 17 appearances, sometimes as a sub and has lots of little “injuries”.

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

Yep, seen the same players smiling after losing matches and doing the talking behind the hands act with opponents.  

Delph particularly loves it here, he looks happy in training ..... He likes getting photos with his ex man city teammates after losing.