IGNORED

James Rodríguez

Well the good news is we have a world class creative player that, if he wants to get back into the Columbia squad will have to earn that right with us.

The fact that nobody bid for him may give him a point to prove.

Plus he is a world class player.

Benitez will have to work his management skills to bring him back into the squad, but both are professionals so that shouldnt be a problem. The only question is how does he fit into Benitez's strategy?

It will be interesting to see how he gets on. He arrived with a bit of a fanfare (at least on social media) in last years transfer window.

Came in very much as the marquee signing to work under a manager who he knew would endulge him and let him play his game. 

All very different for him nearly 12months later, he has lost much of his gloss at both club football and at National level.

Lets hope is willing to get his head down and give this season a good crack and prove his doubters wrong.

36 minutes ago, Isaiah said:

Rafa's desperate to succeed here and James wants to play in next year's world cup. I'm optimistic both will get their heads down, set aside whatever personal differences they might have, and do the best they can.  I'm happy James is still with us. 

One is a football genius, the other just a bloke who wants to manage a club near his home. It's not quite personal differences, it's completely different levels of seeing/playing football.

8 hours ago, Palfy said:

Looks like he’s staying whether by choice or not doesn’t really matter I’m sure Rafa will give him every chance to play his way into the first eleven, and if this is the case I hope he try’s to do what is asked of him. Plus Shukes is going to see him in the flesh in a Everton shirt I don’t know who deserves it more Shukes or James 😉enjoy mate. 

Thanks mate. Got tickets for Burnley and Norwich, so might see him after all. 
Well it’s either him or Delpth!

8 hours ago, RuffRob said:

Lets hope he is willing to get his head down and give this season a good crack and prove his doubters wrong.

I don't think he can, he's a fancy footballer and doesn't have the fitness or fight to make it in the premier league. It speaks volumes that not one club wanted to take him off us, even on a free. 

He arrived with a massive wave of expectation, our saviour who was going to lift the gloom from Goodison park but it never quite worked out.  As we all know he's a nice footballer but not a bloke I'd want beside me in the trenches.

10 minutes ago, Bill said:

I don't think he can, he's a fancy footballer and doesn't have the fitness or fight to make it in the premier league. It speaks volumes that not one club wanted to take him off us, even on a free. 

He arrived with a massive wave of expectation, our saviour who was going to lift the gloom from Goodison park but it never quite worked out.  As we all know he's a nice footballer but not a bloke I'd want beside me in the trenches.

He can make it, he just needs players to do the pressing, tackling and tracking back that he cant do.

Play to his strengths and he is a great asset. This is a squad game.

3 hours ago, Bill said:

How hasn't he worked out? When fit he was involved in half our goals. Hard to his fight when most the injuries/niggles were down to getting fouled every week with very little protection from the referees. Only difference is we don't moan about vvd every week.

2 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Pretty certain it was his wages rather than his ability which prevented clubs coming in for him, which is hardly surprising given the current climate

I think he has already proven that he is more than capable of making it in the Premier League when fit and I don’t see his fitness as much of a problem because I can’t see Rafa staring him in many games anyway, but what an option he could be coming off the bench

He took a massive wage cut to come here. So don't think money is an issue. 

3 minutes ago, Bill said:

Whatever you say but Rafa thinks differently, so much so that Gray and Townsend will probably start ahead of him. 👍

Because Rafa would rather a player cross the ball from a certain position into a certain area. Compared to James who make passes most players can't even see are on. 

If this was Alladyce no way would the fans be so accepting.

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

1 hour ago, plaidharper said:

Thanks guys!

Had to do a quick copy and paste job on my phone and it clearly didn't work!

We are where we are now - and it is up to everybody on the clubs payroll to do their very best for the club. Meaning James to play the best he can under the instruction and system of his manager and his manager to try and get the best system possible to work with the tools he has available to him, which now looks like it will included James.

James has not been a flop, he has been decent to excellent when he has been on the pitch, over a whole season he has been an OK signing, especially in this first year in the Prem. The problem with him is that he as not been consistently OK - he has ranged from MotM performances to being a passenger/liability or simply just not available.

Some people focus on his MotM performances and some on his passenger performances. He splits opinion and nobodies opinion is really wrong because on any given day one - he can boss a game or deliver the moment of quality or it can pass right by him.  

Benitez job now is going to be trying to get James on the pitch in games where he thinks he can get his MotM performances and leave him out of the games where he sees a risk of the game passing him by. Trouble this is very very hard to do, especially in the Premiership - for any manager. 

I see James being used as an impact sub, when something is needed in the last quarter of the game and maybe when others legs are a little bit tired and the running and pressing has slowed down a little. 

If you start James regular I am pretty sure Premiership teams would target him as a 'soft belly' of our team. But no point in them setting up to do that if he doesn't start. 

9 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Where did you get that from? Is that in the article? 

Do you think they would pay his wages in full Porto only wanted to pay 25%, we pay him so much money he’s become un-loanable and un-sellable. What will happen is we will give him his 200+k a week he will hardly play and we won’t be offering him the 3rd year extension of his contract.