IGNORED

James Rodríguez

I think James playing in the Siggy role would create more defensive pressure on us. 

Siggy does get through a fair amount of graft and if you took that out of the side, you have 4 midfield / forwards upfield with only 2 sitting. I then think you stifle Doucoure a bit more. 

I think the front 3 has enough quality to do the damage on their own that they don't need to add another player into the mix. Then if you have 3 in midfield they can cover each other and for the two wide men if they get caught forward. I just think we have to be a bit more alive to the fact that teams will target that side. 

After all if they are attacking down our right, it means there is more space for James to exploit when we win the ball. Think of it like bait!

26 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I think James playing in the Siggy role would create more defensive pressure on us. 

Siggy does get through a fair amount of graft and if you took that out of the side, you have 4 midfield / forwards upfield with only 2 sitting. I then think you stifle Doucoure a bit more. 

I think the front 3 has enough quality to do the damage on their own that they don't need to add another player into the mix. Then if you have 3 in midfield they can cover each other and for the two wide men if they get caught forward. I just think we have to be a bit more alive to the fact that teams will target that side. 

After all if they are attacking down our right, it means there is more space for James to exploit when we win the ball. Think of it like bait!

If you have a very good 10 who doesn’t follow to far back you force the team you are playing against to leave a player or players to hold and cover their position, but not so much out wide a full back would be comfortably to pass a wide player  and help double up on the opposite full back, we’ve witnessed that with James and it’s cost us, but midfielders are less likely to leave opposition midfielders unmarked in a high central position, especially when that midfielder as the ability of James. 
Which in turn helps the 2 holding midfielders and the 2 central defenders by restricting the opposition’s midfield getting forward in mass. 

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

If you have a very good 10 who doesn’t follow to far back you force the team you are playing against to leave a player or players to hold and cover their position, but not so much out wide a full back would be comfortably to pass a wide player  and help double up on the opposite full back, we’ve witnessed that with James and it’s cost us, but midfielders are less likely to leave opposition midfielders unmarked in a high central position, especially when that midfielder as the ability of James. 
Which in turn helps the 2 holding midfielders and the 2 central defenders by restricting the opposition’s midfield getting forward in mass. 

Maybe, maybe not. I think it depends who you play against. Most sides have that defensive player anyway so you won't gain any real tactical advantage. 

I agree with you that it has caused us a few defensive problems, but there were other factors in those problems. We have also created plenty of chances by winning the ball and then feeding James in space because the full back isnt in position. 

Maybe it should be horses for courses! 

4 hours ago, Bailey said:

Maybe, maybe not. I think it depends who you play against. Most sides have that defensive player anyway so you won't gain any real tactical advantage. 

This is why I prefer him playing off the right. When he sees the space inside he can come in and make the most of it. He’s quick enough to do something brilliant before the full back has passed him over to the midfield, and if the full back sticks with him it leaves plenty of space out wide for our full back to get in there. 

23 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

i'm really starting to wonder about this injury, he's missed 4 matches (this will be his 5th) and has been out for a month.  anyone know if he is training?

Carlo said he was in individual training before the City game, don't know if he's said he's joined the team in today's press conference.

19 minutes ago, StevO said:

We didn’t expect him to be fit for every game, just got to get the most out of him when he is fit again. Hopefully makes a big difference when he’s back. 

yes i agree. but the injury was never given a timetable of when he would be back, we just hear each week "he's out" with no severity or update on what this "calf injury" (that's all we've been told) is.  as romey stated, he is doing individual sessions.  Carlo just said Allan is doing individual sessions and is expected back end of january.  so i'm just wondering what is the ETA of james.  i don't think it's nefarious, just wondering when he will be back!  i love the guy and want to see a football at his feet

Ancelotti confirms that James is in poor form and hopes he might regain some form against Rotherham. 
For me that’s a very worrying statement it brings in to doubt his desire to play in this country, he started off bright in his first 3-4 games, and then fell off a cliff performance wise. 
Having watched all his games I have to say he doesn’t look happy he doesn’t look like a player who wants to be here, this is a tough league in a tough environment let’s be honest Liverpool isn’t Madrid, I genuinely feel this is a head and heart thing and not an ability issue. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Ancelotti confirms that James is in poor form and hopes he might regain some form against Rotherham. 
For me that’s a very worrying statement it brings in to doubt his desire to play in this country, he started off bright in his first 3-4 games, and then fell off a cliff performance wise. 
Having watched all his games I have to say he doesn’t look happy he doesn’t look like a player who wants to be here, this is a tough league in a tough environment let’s be honest Liverpool isn’t Madrid, I genuinely feel this is a head and heart thing and not an ability issue. 

What did he say? I can only find this, which makes no mention of form -

“James trained all week with the team and showed a good condition: not at the top but it could help for him to play tomorrow [Saturday] – he is close to the top [peak condition].

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Think you’re confusing form with fitness 

12 minutes ago, Palfy said:

First football article written by caught offside. 

Just read it now. Wouldn't surprise me if it's been mistranslated as form because it does come from a Spanish newspaper, but it is what it is.

I don't think he's unhappy here at all. His interview he gave himself says the complete opposite.

7 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Just read it now. Wouldn't surprise me if it's been mistranslated as form because it does come from a Spanish newspaper, but it is what it is.

I don't think he's unhappy here at all. His interview he gave himself says the complete opposite.

It’s not even mistranslation, it’s Marca making things up. 

5 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Must be, you can't say he's out of form when he's only played 25 minutes in the last month.

1 minute ago, Romey 1878 said:

like you said in the Iwobi thread talk is nice but actions are what actually counts. 
I wouldn’t blame him for feeling unhappy it’s shit times at the moment, but I don’t see a happy player out there at the moment in his football, a dip in form maybe and he comes out of it, but my gut feeling is it’s more than that by his demeanour but of course that’s my opinion. 

14 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Looked very frustrated for most of the game (with the teams and his own performance) but then stepped up and showed his quality with that ball for Doucoure. And that's what he's out there to do and will keep showing it the more fitness he gets back.

Yeah. Didn’t have a great game but tried and only needed 2 opportunities to set up what should’ve been 2 goals. Rough game for him and just coming back from injury, could’ve been better but still changed the game. 

I thought we looked much better in midfield when he went off, we were balanced and stronger, Rotherham’s threat was minimal when he was taken off and as our midfield worked harder and protected the defence allowing them to have an impact further up field, for me he has to work harder for the team. 

3 minutes ago, StevO said:

It seemed to me that when they found James in a bit of space he made things happen. It didn’t always come off. But it’s pretty clear, give him the ball and we create chances. We need him on the pitch and we need to give him the ball, let him do the rest. 

That is what I saw too. When he got the ball, he was looking to do something. I'm not convinced anyone else did after the first 10 minutes.