IGNORED

James Rodríguez

1 minute ago, Bailey said:

That is what I saw too. When he got the ball, he was looking to do something. I'm not convinced anyone else did after the first 10 minutes.

It’s when you see him look up and he doesn’t have any runners that it’s so frustrating. I’m sure it is frustrating for him too. 
At the start of the season he had Richarlison, Digne, Coleman and Doucoure all making runs for him. We need this again. But maybe with our new found ability to not concede three goals every game. 

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-boss-carlo-ancelotti-responds-19603186

"As I said when we signed him, I didn't sign him because I want more physical power in the squad - it's because I wanted more quality in the squad, this is the only reason.

"There are players with quality, there are players with physicality. The work of a manager is to try and put this quality, physicality, football quality and mental aspects all together to build the team."

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

It’s almost like he’s got a plan. 

As good as we were at the start of the season and there is still plenty to be happy about, I can’t wait to see what he does with the team next season. 

• 2 weeks later...

Romey he's not in the team to run around, Carlo bought him as a luxury player who will create chances and that's what he's there to do.  He doesn't put in the most effort chasing back and that's partly why i'd prefer to see him as a number 10 rather than on the wing.  Not only would this give him more involvement in the game but it would also take some responsibility off of defending as the central area has a lot more cover than the wing.

As it is he drifts right into the centre anyway a lot of the time (i'm sure Carlo has permitted this).

As to looking happy, Richarlison always looks unhappy but I don't think we should be benching these 2 for their lack of fun!

I'm sure he enjoyed himself, Wednesday sat off him and gave him lots of opportunity to express himself, play it around and create chances, a luxury for him compared to the average prem game.

13 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I know he assisted 2 of our 3 goals last night, created numerous other chances that weren't finished off, made the game look effortless etc but I really wish he'd chased back towards his own goal a bit more, closed down the Sheffield Wednesday players a bit more. And, god, he looked so unhappy out there and didn't look like he was having fun with his team mates at all!

Should only be a bench player until he sorts that out.

🤣 - spot on Romey - and he didn’t make the ref a cuppa at half time. He really needs to do more. @FairWooney I think you missed Romeys not so subtle dig at others. 

7 minutes ago, barryj said:

🤣 - spot on Romey - and he didn’t make the ref a cuppa at half time. He really needs to do more. @FairWooney I think you missed Romeys not so subtle dig at others. 

Thanks, Barry! I thought it was dripping in sarcasm seeing as I've said many times I don't give a shit if he doesn't chase everything down like a little puppy, but obviously I need to be even more sarcastic. It's a challenge I'm happy to take up.

7 minutes ago, FairWooney said:

lol 😂

My bad for not reading previous posts before seeing yours!

And there was me thinking about looking through the highlights to pull out a picture of him smiling in an embrace with the team when they ran over to him to celebrate the 3rd goal!

I thought the comment of him not looking happy alone would've given it away because he really did look like he enjoyed himself and he celebrates our goals like he's loving life.

James had more passes than anyone apart from Doucoure last night, unusual as usually the most passes are the centre backs of centre mids for us.  81 passes.

Only 3rd (equal) most accurate passes then he's trying to do a bit more with it than Doucoure or Holgate!  69 out of 81 isn't bad going considering some of the passes he played!  Such as the 8 key passes! (out of 15 total for the team)

One random start that Sheffield Wednesday won on...most dribbles!  they attempted a pretty mad 20 and 9 were successful, we were 3 with 1 successful!  We just preferred to pass them off the park!

4 hours ago, FairWooney said:

James had more passes than anyone apart from Doucoure last night, unusual as usually the most passes are the centre backs of centre mids for us.  81 passes.

Only 3rd (equal) most accurate passes then he's trying to do a bit more with it than Doucoure or Holgate!  69 out of 81 isn't bad going considering some of the passes he played!  Such as the 8 key passes! (out of 15 total for the team)

One random start that Sheffield Wednesday won on...most dribbles!  they attempted a pretty mad 20 and 9 were successful, we were 3 with 1 successful!  We just preferred to pass them off the park!

That's only because Iwobi  wasn't playing. 😀

For sure James isn't particularly effective when we are without the ball and opposition players do tend to just ghost past him - potentially leading to 'chance created' for the opposition. So as a player he has to be marked down for that.

However, on the flip side when his is in our starting line up our 'chances created' numbers are significantly improved. 

And it think that's how you have to think of James - on balance, does having him on the pitch (over a more ordinary player who is 'acceptable' both going forward and tracking back), over all lead to an increased number of Everton 'chances created' once you take the additional 'chances created' by the opposition his lack of tracking back lead to. 

He also came to the club at 28years old on a free transfer rather than with a £50M price tag - because he's not the complete modern day player - if he was it would be in the Real starting line up and we could only by dream of having this conversation. We don't have the pockets to buy players who at as good as James is going forward and also know for putting in a defensive shift in.  We are not in that market yet. 

What we have to do, as a team, is maximise James's forward player whist minimise his defensive shortcomings. We do that and we win lots of games.

We are fortunate at the moment to have arguably one of the best manager in the world at getting the best out of players and being adaptable enough to tweak formations to do this. So we are in a  lot better position that we where before James to arrive. 

There will be frustrating games in which he plays - and we have just got to accept that sometimes. I just love seeing him in the team - :) He just make stuff happen. 

9 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I know he assisted 2 of our 3 goals last night, created numerous other chances that weren't finished off, made the game look effortless etc but I really wish he'd chased back towards his own goal a bit more, closed down the Sheffield Wednesday players a bit more. And, god, he looked so unhappy out there and didn't look like he was having fun with his team mates at all!

Should only be a bench player until he sorts that out.

Mate I’m glad I’m not the only one that noticed this. 
Ok a lot of his balls were inch perfect, but why can’t he put that little bit more effort in and make them Mill perfect?

Ok so he got a few assists, but if he had made that pass to DCL a little better, DCL could have scored.

Its all about effort. I would gladly lose all those assists and chances for a player that chases the ball down! Football is not all about goals!!!!

19 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

For sure James isn't particularly effective when we are without the ball and opposition players do tend to just ghost past him - potentially leading to 'chance created' for the opposition. So as a player he has to be marked down for that.

However, on the flip side when his is in our starting line up our 'chances created' numbers are significantly improved. 

And it think that's how you have to think of James - on balance, does having him on the pitch (over a more ordinary player who is 'acceptable' both going forward and tracking back), over all lead to an increased number of Everton 'chances created' once you take the additional 'chances created' by the opposition his lack of tracking back lead to. 

He also came to the club at 28years old on a free transfer rather than with a £50M price tag - because he's not the complete modern day player - if he was it would be in the Real starting line up and we could only by dream of having this conversation. We don't have the pockets to buy players who at as good as James is going forward and also know for putting in a defensive shift in.  We are not in that market yet. 

What we have to do, as a team, is maximise James's forward player whist minimise his defensive shortcomings. We do that and we win lots of games.

We are fortunate at the moment to have arguably one of the best manager in the world at getting the best out of players and being adaptable enough to tweak formations to do this. So we are in a  lot better position that we where before James to arrive. 

There will be frustrating games in which he plays - and we have just got to accept that sometimes. I just love seeing him in the team - :) He just make stuff happen. 

and forgot to mention - what an unselfish player he is. How many 'wild' shots do you see from him at the edge of the area? he always looking for somebody who might be in a better position before he thinks about pulling the trigger - he's so economical in what he does. forward players must love playing with him - make a run and he'll try his best to find you.

Its not only that, did you see the way his laces were tied, I've never seen such a half arsed attempt to tie a shoe lace!!

Fundamentals people, you can keep all the so called "Important skills" like pass's, assists and goals, if you cant tie a proper bunny double loop then your not fit to play the game.

Don't get me started on his shin pad placement.

Disgrace!!

3 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

and forgot to mention - what an unselfish player he is. How many 'wild' shots do you see from him at the edge of the area? he always looking for somebody who might be in a better position before he thinks about pulling the trigger - he's so economical in what he does. forward players must love playing with him - make a run and he'll try his best to find you.

I think his most important attribute is his decision making. Very rarely does he make a bad decision with the ball at his feet. Looking back, I could probably only think of a handful of times I remember him giving the ball away. 

That is hard enough to do when you are only looking back to your centre backs or keeper, but James is always getting his head up and looking down the pitch and that makes it even more impressive. 

30 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Mate I’m glad I’m not the only one that noticed this. 
Ok a lot of his balls were inch perfect, but why can’t he put that little bit more effort in and make them Mill perfect?

Ok so he got a few assists, but if he had made that pass to DCL a little better, DCL could have scored.

Its all about effort. I would gladly lose all those assists and chances for a player that chases the ball down! Football is not all about goals!!!!

If we're lucky we might be able to trick psg into swapping Gana Gueye for him.

1 hour ago, RuffRob said:

Great post this. 
On the defensive side I’m more comfortable when he’s got Coleman behind him. Séamus is past his best, no doubt, but he’s a clever footballer and he understands what James brings to the team (the repeated shouts of “give it to James” early on in the season were quite funny) and I trust him to protect that side a bit more, whether that’s himself or telling others to cover. 
That said, some of the link up play with Coleman and James has been brilliant too, and Holgate hasn’t got that attacking ability in his game. 

Im just looking forward to seeing more and more of him. He’s just a wonderful footballer. 

In the last few games he's made 2 of the best passes I've ever seen from an Everton player.

1.  Wolves.   Iwobi did a give and go but the route of the successful return pass from James was a joke, 3 or 4 players all within a tight grouping on the run and he threaded it through.  I had to rewind it a few times ... Even if a player seen the pass only 3 or 4 in the world can make that. 

2. Sheff Wed.  Richarlison offside goal.  Similar to the wolves pass, I honestly don't know how his brain works calculate the pass and to send the message to his left leg in the time he does it 

Honestly, he is an unbelievable passer of the ball, probably the best passer of the ball I've seen of that type.

That ball was fantastic, the commentators said about how Richarlison didn't need to be offside but I think it was just a little too tight for him to have made it had he not had that slight start.  All the same the vision for the pass was outstanding.

A couple of other moments I remember from him, a lovely flick over the defenders to create a chance that DCL ran on to and knocked over the keeper, reminded me of the kind of ball that Xavi or Iniesta would do for Messi in those games where they'd be spending ages trying to find a gap in a teams wall of defense. 

The other he brought a ball down at the back of the 6 yard box with beautiful control, took a turn then then a showboaty cross leg pass (don't know what you call it!) straight into the path on one of our players to take on a shot.

With Richarlison, Coleman and Digne especially he has plenty of options to pick out which brings the best out of him.

One thing that DCL maybe needs to work on is getting those in and out runs to give him a ball through like he did for Richarlison.  He does have decent movement and finds his way into a spot on the 6 yard perfectly but needs to work on giving a good option to run on to a little more often.  I see it sometimes though and it'll come more often as they continue to play together.

13 hours ago, StevO said:

Great post this. 
On the defensive side I’m more comfortable when he’s got Coleman behind him. Séamus is past his best, no doubt, but he’s a clever footballer and he understands what James brings to the team (the repeated shouts of “give it to James” early on in the season were quite funny) and I trust him to protect that side a bit more, whether that’s himself or telling others to cover. 
That said, some of the link up play with Coleman and James has been brilliant too, and Holgate hasn’t got that attacking ability in his game. 

Im just looking forward to seeing more and more of him. He’s just a wonderful footballer. 

This is exactly why I have concerns (I’m assuming some of the digs are aimed my way). If Coleman is playing, I don’t care so much about his defensive part. If Coleman isn’t playing, we lose an entire flank. Finding a replacement for Coleman in the summer is priority number 1 for me. We need a Digne-type at RB

59 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

In the last few games he's made 2 of the best passes I've ever seen from an Everton player.

1.  Wolves.   Iwobi did a give and go but the route of the successful return pass from James was a joke, 3 or 4 players all within a tight grouping on the run and he threaded it through.  I had to rewind it a few times ... Even if a player seen the pass only 3 or 4 in the world can make that. 

2. Sheff Wed.  Richarlison offside goal.  Similar to the wolves pass, I honestly don't know how his brain works calculate the pass and to send the message to his left leg in the time he does it 

Honestly, he is an unbelievable passer of the ball, probably the best passer of the ball I've seen of that type.

The ball for Richarlison's offside goal had me saying "oh my god" out loud. I'm so excited to get back to Goodison to watch him play live.

3 hours ago, Matt said:

This is exactly why I have concerns (I’m assuming some of the digs are aimed my way). If Coleman is playing, I don’t care so much about his defensive part. If Coleman isn’t playing, we lose an entire flank. Finding a replacement for Coleman in the summer is priority number 1 for me. We need a Digne-type at RB

No digs at all mate. I was only thinking about his game. Wasn’t thinking about anything else.