IGNORED

Philippe Coutinho

43 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

Why do we act like the cupboard is bare? We had our best record vs. the traditional top 6 in our Premier League history. I think we’d all agree we have quality at the back. We have DCL and Richarlison at last check. We have Allan and Doucoure in the middle. Yes, we have holes to fill but so do most squads. Why is there any reason to believe a relegation type season is even a remote possibility? Is our confidence really that low as supporters? 

We have a different manager with a track record of playing anti-football and getting bottom half finishes.  That record you are talking about was with a guy that’s now at Real Madrid.

confidence is at Sam allardyce levels of low for me.

7 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

We have a different manager with a track record of playing anti-football and getting bottom half finishes.  That record you are talking about was with a guy that’s now at Real Madrid.

I think some of Carlo’s tactics last season where about as anti-football as can be. 4 CB’s in the back 4 and so on. 

I think Rafa will be more expressive than that but I expect us to be organised, compact and hard to beat. We could be set up very nicely for our game winners to be effective - I’m growing with confidence every day and I just hope we get those 3/4 players we need this window.

8 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

If Carlo Ancellotti wasn't the name of our manager last year do you think we would have accepted the football being served? 

Reputation counts for a lot and he fully took the piss in my opinion.  I actually think he was just a formation/tactic picker.  No coaching nothing.

Give Rafa a go 

9 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

We have a different manager who's won titles playing his supposed anti-football.

Oh, and that guy who's at the club that tried to destroy football as we know it after flat out lying to everyone should be washed away like a bad stain. 

Move on, get behind the new guy. 

10 hours ago, London Blue said:

I think it is too raw for people to be truly rational about Benitez. As others have said we need to wait to see who we sign and how the team performs for the first couple of months before we can judge.

By then we will know what type of team he wants and what kind of football we will play.

Yep, this. It’s hard to know what he will do as it’s been a while since he had a half decent squad. Only time will tell. 

56 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Bit more recent than us winning anything then.

again a very very low bar mike.  reminds me of the Overton Window in politics.  Pitch something so outrageous that the shit compromise is seen as a win.  Michael Laudrup is available, he's won a league cup, maybe we should have a go at him next.  I blame moshiri 100%.  he's running the club into mediocrity.

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

italian cup 4 jobs ago in 2014.  7 years ago.  that's the most recent.

don't think there is much room to rubbish Benitez's CV. Out of realistic and likely candidates for the Everton managers job at this moment in time, his trophy winning record was by far the best, and in the main most of his trophy's have come in teams that where punching above there weight at the time.  

I would have loved to have won any cup as recent as 7 years ago!!

10 hours ago, Btay said:

I think some of Carlo’s tactics last season where about as anti-football as can be. 4 CB’s in the back 4 and so on. 

I think Rafa will be more expressive than that but I expect us to be organised, compact and hard to beat. We could be set up very nicely for our game winners to be effective - I’m growing with confidence every day and I just hope we get those 3/4 players we need this window.

Don't forget Rafa played Carragher at right back and Gerard wide for a chunk of his time across the park! 😂

11 hours ago, Btay said:

Everything turns on those 3/4 having pace and power.  Speaking of which, Coutinho has neither, so can we please bin this nonsense?

On 08/07/2021 at 02:49, Bailey said:

Don't forget Rafa played Carragher at right back and Gerard wide for a chunk of his time across the park! 😂

Yeah but Moyes had Neville and Rodwell doing the same so he was probably just trying to copy Moyes’s brilliance!

On 08/07/2021 at 02:58, chicagoblue said:

Everything turns on those 3/4 having pace and power.  Speaking of which, Coutinho has neither, so can we please bin this nonsense?

For starters I think it’s imperative that we get some more athletic players in, I have been vocal about that. However, if coutinho is available he is worth a gamble. 

• 5 months later...
16 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Seems to be a lot of noise coming out of the Spanish press about this again lately

http://sportwitness.co.uk/everton-asked-january-signing-hope-building-deal-can-go-next-month/

This scares the shit out of me he’s on €22 million a year what would we have to pay to get him here, I’m sure he would be allowed to go on free to anyone prepared to pay him 2-3 hundred K a week , I just hope we aren’t silly enough to go down that route again. 

I really don't see Coutinio or Ramsey type as markets we would currently be shopping in. Having spent much of the last 12 months trimming down the wage bit.

both players would improve our squad, but the quick fix signings are what we have been guilty of in the past. Lets hope talented youngsters is now the modus operandi.

It's not even as if a 'cheap' half season loan would help much either - its not like we need that little bit extra to get CL or even Europe. This season is perfect for writing off and concentrating more about putting down a solid foundation for the future. 

1 hour ago, RuffRob said:

I really don't see Coutinio or Ramsey type as markets we would currently be shopping in. Having spent much of the last 12 months trimming down the wage bit.

both players would improve our squad, but the quick fix signings are what we have been guilty of in the past. Lets hope talented youngsters is now the modus operandi.

It's not even as if a 'cheap' half season loan would help much either - its not like we need that little bit extra to get CL or even Europe. This season is perfect for writing off and concentrating more about putting down a solid foundation for the future. 

I understand and sort of agree, but it never sits right with me to write a season off. You can’t ask fans to pay for season tickets (and pre warning us next year will be more expensive), shirts, tv subscriptions and then write the season off early. Maybe in April, but not December. 
We still need to be aiming to win as many games as possible, even at this point we could qualify for Europe however unlikely it may be. 15 league games with Coutinho on the pitch for us, on loan, could make a big difference. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

I understand and sort of agree, but it never sits right with me to write a season off. You can’t ask fans to pay for season tickets (and pre warning us next year will be more expensive), shirts, tv subscriptions and then write the season off early. Maybe in April, but not December. 
We still need to be aiming to win as many games as possible, even at this point we could qualify for Europe however unlikely it may be. 15 league games with Coutinho on the pitch for us, on loan, could make a big difference. 

Always have to aim to win as many games as possible. However, spending needs to be sensible and I am not sure millions on wages for a Courtiho or Ramsey type is worth it this season. If we where knocking on the door of CL football, i can understand a 'push' or bring in a bit of short term quality to the team in the January transfsr window. 

This squad needs more fundamental work than just a bit of icing on the top.