IGNORED

Niels Nkounkou

2 hours ago, c1982 said:

Played both left and right for Arsenal. Pretty sure he was their left back when they won the FA Cup when Arteta first took over.

He's a midfielder just covering the full back positions. Might as well just do that with what we have. No way does he get in our midfield, and he's no better than Kenny at right back.

7 hours ago, pete0 said:

He's a midfielder just covering the full back positions. Might as well just do that with what we have. No way does he get in our midfield, and he's no better than Kenny at right back.

No, he’s a player who started as a midfielder but has since shown his versatility by performing well in the full-back/wing-back positions at the highest level. Matty Cash, at Villa, has had a similar positional career progression is he still just a midfielder covering full-back or just because he’s done it for a couple of seasons (very well) is he a full-back who used to play in midfield? I know - nonsense!

5 hours ago, c1982 said:

No, he’s a player who started as a midfielder but has since shown his versatility by performing well in the full-back/wing-back positions at the highest level. Matty Cash, at Villa, has had a similar positional career progression is he still just a midfielder covering full-back or just because he’s done it for a couple of seasons (very well) is he a full-back who used to play in midfield? I know - nonsense!

Spent last season on loan playing CM for wba. He's only covered at right back 39 times compared to a 160 in midfield. Would you call Holgate a right back or Steve Watson a striker?

23 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Spent last season on loan playing CM for wba. He's only covered at right back 39 times compared to a 160 in midfield. Would you call Holgate a right back or Steve Watson a striker?

…or Phil Neville a central midfielder or Valencia a right back or Ronaldo a winger… some players understand a number of roles and if ‘central midfielder’ Maitland-Niles comes here and proves to be the best option we have at right-back then good luck to him - maybe he proves a good option in central midfield for us - I don’t really care as long as EFC are succeeding!

13 hours ago, pete0 said:

If that was the case I would have thought Kenny would have got the England call up.

Naitland miles marked Salah out the game in the charity shield at full back ... Won motm. 

19 minutes ago, c1982 said:

…or Phil Neville a central midfielder or Valencia a right back or Ronaldo a winger… some players understand a number of roles and if ‘central midfielder’ Maitland-Niles comes here and proves to be the best option we have at right-back then good luck to him - maybe he proves a good option in central midfield for us - I don’t really care as long as EFC are succeeding!

Phil Neville was one of the better right backs in the league. I wouldn't even consider comparing him to centre mids as he wasn't one. He was very much covering.

Comparing a winger going from right mid to right back is hardly an argument. Massively different set of skills between central midfield and right back. 

Ronaldo is the best player in the world, hardly reflective of most players.

How many players play in two positions just as well. Most have a primary position, and any where else they play is secondary. I'd much rather get a right back in who excels in that position rather than someone who merely fills in when there's injuries.

25 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

If that was the case I would have thought Kenny would have got the England call up.

Naitland miles marked Salah out the game in the charity shield at full back ... Won motm. 

Would he have that call up if he played for a none sky 6? Keiron Gibbs get many more caps after leaving Arsenal.

Cusco Martina had him in his pocket for 89 minutes, and even then it was a slip rather than Salah's skill that let him down. 

5 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Phil Neville was one of the better right backs in the league. I wouldn't even consider comparing him to centre mids as he wasn't one. He was very much covering.

Comparing a winger going from right mid to right back is hardly an argument. Massively different set of skills between central midfield and right back. 

How many players play in two positions just as well. Most have a primary position, and any where else they play is secondary. I'd much rather get a right back in who excels in that position rather than someone who merely fills in when there's injuries.

I don’t care!

As it stands, we are potentially signing Maitland-Niles - a player I think will be a good addition as he is versatile and would be an upgrade on Kenny/ good competition to Coleman at right but also provide good cover/competition in central midfield. If we were desperate, he’s even been known to provide cover competently at left back… anyway back to Neils not Niles!

3 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Loads of players can play various positions to a very high level.  

Rooney played centre half for the youth team and looked accomplished enough to be a bonafide option. 

Phil Neville had a certain style of play that he could apply to centre mid in the same way he did at right back. He was disciplined, marked Patrick Viera out of a game when at Man United.  His best game for Everton by a mile was in midfield Vs Man United in the 4-4 draw that cost the mancs the title. 

3 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Would he have that call up if he played for a none sky 6? Keiron Gibbs get many more caps after leaving Arsenal.

Cusco Martina had him in his pocket for 89 minutes, and even then it was a slip rather than Salah's skill that let him down. 

Based on the fact that arsenal had no other England call ups at the time I don't see your point. 

10 minutes ago, pete0 said:

How's that an argument?

Because there have been a total of 4 Arsenal players called up for England in the past 9 years ..... In the same time 7 Everton players have been called up. 

Simple.  The supposed top 6 bias is not evident in this argument. 

Either way, Kenny isn't good enough. 

1 minute ago, Hafnia said:

Because there have been a total of 4 Arsenal players called up for England in the past 9 years ..... In the same time 7 Everton players have been called up. 

Simple.  The supposed top 6 bias is not evident in this argument. 

Either way, Kenny isn't good enough. 

How is that relevant?

Point is, if he wasn't at a sky team he wouldn't get called up. How many call ups did Gibbs get after leaving Arsenal. How many did Townsend get after leaving Spurs? How many has Delph had since leaving man city? Bertrand after leaving Chelsea?

11 minutes ago, pete0 said:

How is that relevant?

Point is, if he wasn't at a sky team he wouldn't get called up. How many call ups did Gibbs get after leaving Arsenal. How many did Townsend get after leaving Spurs? How many has Delph had since leaving man city? Bertrand after leaving Chelsea?

Bertrand more caps as a Southampton player for England.   Delph can't even get picked for Everton so how the heck is he gonna get picked for England? 

Gibbs left arsenal at 28.... Again not being picked for them as his career had plummeted.

Bad examples. 

The relevance of my point is, if you are good enough you get picked.   Everton have had more players represent England than Arsenal and we aren't a top 6 side. 

21 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Bertrand more caps as a Southampton player for England.   Delph can't even get picked for Everton so how the heck is he gonna get picked for England? 

Gibbs left arsenal at 28.... Again not being picked for them as his career had plummeted.

Bad examples. 

The relevance of my point is, if you are good enough you get picked.   Everton have had more players represent England than Arsenal and we aren't a top 6 side. 

Got bertrand wrong, but the point still stands. Nothing wrong with the Gibbs and Delph examples. I'll add Joe Hart instead of Bertrand then. One of far too many players who were never good enough for England but only got a chance as they were at a top 6. 

The other way, look at how long DCL waited for a cap compared to Solanke.

Any how, back on topic. Everton should be looking for better than Arsenal's 4th choice right back.

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

I do not like the idea of having next to no full back cover.

Knowing our club - Rafa probably said “we’re only short at RB and I need that fixed before the window shuts”

Some dipshit ran off and loaned out Niels and came back and said “okay sorted Rafa, we’re short at left back now too”