IGNORED

Niels Nkounkou

1 minute ago, Aidan said:

Keep him. Digne should be expected to play the amount of games we have this season and if worst comes to worst Nkounkou, Delph and Kenny can cover at LB. Not ideal, but if this lad turns out good we dont need to buy cover for next season. 

Unless a loan could be sorted for the right player, of course. 

Hard not to get excited with his build, composure on the ball and attacking mentality. Gonna hold it in check until we see him against some better competition but he looks to be quite the coup.

Will eventually have to get some looks vs bigger competition of course but he looks unbelievable. Beyond his technical skill is his confidence and ambition. How many LB in football are making that late run when you’ve played 93 min in the rain and then making a perfect back heel pass in the box for a one touch finish. Audacious.

2 minutes ago, StevO said:

Been saying the same too. He looks like a winger to me. Fortunately we have Richarlison to play there, but for an option I’d love to see him get some time in the premier league on the wing. 

Can certainly see why a kid his size isn’t playing in the middle. He’s just too good going forward and you’d waste him inside. 

4 minutes ago, Bailey said:

He showed a couple of defensive issues today but my word his attacking play is unreal. No one can stop him getting to the byline!

He did a lot of things well today but I was most impressed by the couple of times he squared up and took the defender on resulting in a half chance for us each time. There are some good attacking LB’s who wouldn’t be willing to go 1 v 1 like that.

First few weeks playing for a new team in a new country and his confidence looks off the charts. I don’t think you can coach that sort of thing. 

• 2 months later...

Why did he not get a look in even on the bench this weekend?

Digne is out for 2-3 months and we have only 1 other natural left back, he's already impressed all be it against lower league sides mostly in the league cup but with no real competition for the spot surely this should be his chance.

If he doesn't play against Burnley who have created the least shots (and scored the least goals) so far this season then I'll really be wondering what he's done wrong!

I can kind of accept Leeds is a big challenge because of the way they dominate teams but given how Iwobi struggled in the position (no left foot!) I can't possibly see how he won't start.

If we stick with the 3 Centre backs he will also have some protection.  With his and Richarilson's pace down the left it should really give James players to aim for and plenty of interest for DCL in the box.

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/nkounkou-everton-squad-carlo-ancelotti-19463282

Like I've said, no problem at all with him not starting but he should be on the bench.

It's all a bit weird when Carlo said we wouldn't be signing another LB because he'd shown he could be back up to Digne, but now that Digne is actually out he isn't even making the squads.

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/nkounkou-everton-squad-carlo-ancelotti-19463282

Like I've said, no problem at all with him not starting but he should be on the bench.

It's all a bit weird when Carlo said we wouldn't be signing another LB because he'd shown he could be back up to Digne, but now that Digne is actually out he isn't even making the squads.

I'm all in with Carlo.  I've got to be, even with playing Gylfi etc,  the same with Niels and Gordon.

There is a definite preference he has for experience and I think for him he wants the lads in and around the squad training etc, and keeping them out the squad ensures he sticks to his principles.

I love seeing kids coming through but let's face it, half of them get massively burdened at our club.  

His time will come and when it does he maybe better for the extra coaching he’s receiving, instead of being thrown in at the deep end and trying to cope when Ancelotti feels he’s not quite ready for the challenge at the moment. 
I always champion the opinion of if you’re good enough you’re old enough and trust Ancelotti’s opinion. 

His defending looked way off. Great going forward but I'd not play him against top half teams especially without a the rest being on the ball at the minute.

Similar for Gordon, he's not quite ready on the defensive side. Although I'd still expect him to be getting some minutes from the bench against tired legs or the odd start against lower opposition to gain the experience.

• 3 weeks later...