IGNORED

Rafael Benitez

2 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Agreed.

Although when reports first emerged about Carlo and Madrid I said the same thing...

I think this is different though. Rafa has more integrity than Carlo, plus he lives in the area etc etc

And we all know, as the press told us time and again, that this is the leading criterion when choosing a new manager. :)

21 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

And we all know, as the press told us time and again, that this is the leading criterion when choosing a new manager. :)

I would be worried if there’s any truth in this Benitez love’s the club and the fans and they love him to a man not so here. He stayed and saw his contract out because he was made to believe the sale was going to happen end of his last season, it didn’t and I didn’t want to work for Ashley with no money and any assets always being sold so he left. I believe he could be persuaded to leave.  

Sky’s favorite team behind the RS has always been Toon - remember back in the 90s when they tried to make them and Keegan everyone’s second team. It’s no different now.

Who knows if Benitez really loved it there? The only other reason to go is likely loads of cash. What he needs to do is come out and say he’s staying.

I hope he stays as it’s working for us at the minute, and I kind of like the fella in spite of everything. What I find hilarious is all bluenoses who were furious about him coming there are now loads papping their kecks about him possibly leaving.

I believe Rafa is an honourable man regarding contracts. If he believed in their takeover going ahead and thought he might return I don't think he would have come to us. Looks like Newcastle are going to become another City splashing the cash to get every big name they can, bling boys.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rafa-benitez-everton-moshiri-exclusive-21843777

Benitez is definitely saying the right things, and seems to be backed up with what we are actually seeing.

when you see the effort and performances the players are putting in thus far, I am very optimistic we have somebody at the helm that actually is a proper fit for what the club are trying to achieve.

I am hopeful we may now have the 'right manager' part of the jigsaw in place, even though it was an initially a very awkward appointment.

I think 12 to 18month of austerity, might not be a bad thing as not having the pressure of spending a 'war chest' in your first couple transfer is removed and the team might just develop and grow a bit more organically with the right players more slowly added to the squad. 

15 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

How can the league schedule a derby game barely 48 hours after the previous game? That's unreasonable.

Agreed. But in response to that, I loved what he said about taking the Brentford game as seriously as the derby. And I think we're seeing that this season. We're beating the teams we should be beating, which is something that has not always been the case the last few years with us.

"Obviously the derby is the derby, but last year the team had good results against the top sides but still we finished in a position which was not good enough. So you have to make points.

"You have to be sure you compete against everyone - and if you can get three points against anyone it is three points. It is better if you get more satisfaction from beating a leading side, but for us we must compete in both games and try to win both."

1 hour ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Agreed. But in response to that, I loved what he said about taking the Brentford game as seriously as the derby. And I think we're seeing that this season. We're beating the teams we should be beating, which is something that has not always been the case the last few years with us.

"Obviously the derby is the derby, but last year the team had good results against the top sides but still we finished in a position which was not good enough. So you have to make points.

"You have to be sure you compete against everyone - and if you can get three points against anyone it is three points. It is better if you get more satisfaction from beating a leading side, but for us we must compete in both games and try to win both."

Incidentally, Brentford is going to be a difficult team to beat. They are going to be one of this season's surprises. Honestly, I think Liverpool will be an easier team to beat than Brentford.

1 hour ago, Cornish Steve said:

Incidentally, Brentford is going to be a difficult team to beat. They are going to be one of this season's surprises. Honestly, I think Liverpool will be an easier team to beat than Brentford.

In which case I propose a wager; I think Liverpool will finish the season higher in the league than Brentford but you apparently think otherwise, I'm not normally a betting man but this is too good an opportunity to miss. Name the stakes:P

56 minutes ago, MikeO said:

In which case I propose a wager; I think Liverpool will finish the season higher in the league than Brentford but you apparently think otherwise, I'm not normally a betting man but this is too good an opportunity to miss. Name the stakes:P

I’ll have some of that please.