IGNORED

Rafael Benitez

I’m more concerned that we don’t lose to Norwich now that would put the skids under the team’s confidence, Rafa didn’t have much to choose from but put players out who have played in the the PL a fair amount of time’s, they should be doing better against the likes of your QPRs to be fair. He held back Gray Doucoure and Allan to give them a rest, and put Iwobi Gomes and Davies in they should be doing better than they did against that opposition same as Holgate and and Godfrey. I won’t be blaming Rafa for the lack of good options due to 5 years of miss appropriation of funds, it’s like we are relying on the same 11 players to be fit and play every single game, take 4 out due to injuries and we are fucked really after spending over 500 million since Moshiri took over, yet we blame Rafa who’s had nothing to spend and we call the 2nd round of the league cup our final, Christ we are in a shit state. 

11 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I’m more concerned that we don’t lose to Norwich now that would put the skids under the team’s confidence, Rafa didn’t have much to choose from but put players out who have played in the the PL a fair amount of time’s, they should be doing better against the likes of your QPRs to be fair. He held back Gray Doucoure and Allan to give them a rest, and put Iwobi Gomes and Davies in they should be doing better than they did against that opposition same as Holgate and and Godfrey. I won’t be blaming Rafa for the lack of good options due to 5 years of miss appropriation of funds, it’s like we are relying on the same 11 players to be fit and play every single game, take 4 out due to injuries and we are fucked really after spending over 500 million since Moshiri took over, yet we blame Rafa who’s had nothing to spend and we call the 2nd round of the league cup our final, Christ we are in a shit state. 

Agree totally, for me Benitez has kind of got himself a near free pass this season - not being allowed big money spending like his predecessors and losing Gylfi in unusual circumstances.  On paper he has a weakened squad to those before him.

However, a years pass with no immediate massive spending might be a good thing in the longer term. Get to know the squad properly, build a relationship with Brands and build steady in the right places. Not just shoehorning expensive players in a squad in the first transfer of your appointment. We might lose 12 months, but the preceding 5years of big spending have not been all that.  

Benitez always talks about a good 'balance' to the squad and how we play. The free/cheap transfers already appear to be addressing this. Two of the player than have come in (and they are Benitez players) Grey and Townsend are making a difference to this squad and how we are able to play.  They are making as big an impact as we seen from any big transfer players in the past.

50 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

They are making as big an impact as we seen from any big transfer players in the past.

Agreed they are, yet they aren’t or weren’t considered big players that were  being looked at by clubs of our size and stature, Benitez is possible the first manager who has bought players in for the positions that need filling, as he said I would have liked money because I could have got a better standard of player, in the past we have just been buying players who have had one or two decent seasons or who have a good past but are close to their sell by date, but most seem to have been bought with no concern as to how they improve or fit into the team, Rafa has shown if you buy players that you need to play for your system they don’t have to cost millions. 

7 hours ago, RPG said:

Norwich just became a very important game - not that they all aren't important of course. This is now where we either get the season back on some sort of track or the wheels can officially be declared as having fallen off.

This is one of my gripes about us not taking the League Cup seriously , albeit there were mitigating circumstances this year

We do it every season, put out a shite team then get tonked and thereby either lose momentum or add unnecessary pressure on the side depending how we happen to be doing that particular season

38 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

This is one of my gripes about us not taking the League Cup seriously , albeit there were mitigating circumstances this year

We do it every season, put out a shite team then get tonked and thereby either lose momentum or add unnecessary pressure on the side depending how we happen to be doing that particular season

Momentum is huge in football and we have a habit of using the cups to shoot ourselves in the foot!

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-january-transfer-funds-benitez-21668552

I guess it's good news that he's optimistic we'll have funds to spend in January, but I just don't trust January signings. Sure there have been some that work out (Bruno comes to mind as most recent), but they just make me anxious.

Although I guess with how paper thin our squad is, we may not have a choice.

9 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-january-transfer-funds-benitez-21668552

I guess it's good news that he's optimistic we'll have funds to spend in January, but I just don't trust January signings. Sure there have been some that work out (Bruno comes to mind as most recent), but they just make me anxious.

Although I guess with how paper thin our squad is, we may not have a choice.

I agree full however there’s some handy players coming to the end of their contracts that we could get on the cheap and instantly improve the first team and squad depth. 

I am so glad we got Rafa over Nuno. When it was looking like a two horse I was in the Nuno camp out of the two mainly due to the Rafa/Liverpool connection. So glad those who employed him had the courage to see beyond that and take Benitez for the professional that he is. 

Enjoyed his press conference again today. He talks good sense, and not to full of crap. I am sure his good honest effort, hard work and professionalism is rubbing of on the players at his disposal. Maybe a key ingredient that had been previously at this club for some time missing. 

I think we will be in a much better place come May 22. 

5 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I thought he set us up brilliantly today, this team again showing so much fight and togetherness which we’ve missed since the days of David Moyes

Surely he is starting to win over the dissenters now? The job he is doing and the way he has us playing given all the injuries and financial restrictions we’ve had is nothing short of remarkable, even more so given the dross that was served up after the millions his predecessors had at their disposal 

You would have thought so but there’s nought querier than folk 

6 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I thought he set us up brilliantly today, this team again showing so much fight and togetherness which we’ve missed since the days of David Moyes

Surely he is starting to win over the dissenters now? The job he is doing and the way he has us playing given all the injuries and financial restrictions we’ve had is nothing short of remarkable, even more so given the dross that was served up after the millions his predecessors had at their disposal 

I was never a dissenter but he has exceeded all my expectations, off the pitch and on. Delighted for him and the team. Dare I say it, but a proper manager, at last.

Rafa has got in the players heads, he’s got them working hard, understanding an effective system and their individual places in it, and got them believing in themselves. It sounds simple but we haven’t had that since Martínez season 1.

Even if you don’t like Rafa you’ve got to respect that. We were 10cm off top position yesterday. Long season to go but he’s worked a miracle so far.

On 01/10/2021 at 13:56, Bailey said:

I think he might need to look at what is going on in training as the players are going down like flies at the moment.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-injury-gbamin-iwobi-calvert-21730843

Id say if they're muscular injuries,  its probably that they're being worked harder and playing with a greater intensity than we have for a long time, and that takes a period of physical adaptation.

That and just being unlucky with some injuries like DCL/Richy.

5 hours ago, badaids said:

Rafa has got in the players heads, he’s got them working hard, understanding an effective system and their individual places in it, and got them believing in themselves. It sounds simple but we haven’t had that since Martínez season 1.

Even if you don’t like Rafa you’ve got to respect that. We were 10cm off top position yesterday. Long season to go but he’s worked a miracle so far.

Half the problem with our club is sentimental bollocks.....  Clapping kenwright for years despite poor ownership/ mismanagement, ex players getting jobs for the boys, managers getting leniency cos they are nice.

Rafa is a proper coach, he's not arsed about popularity like the ones who have their mates spinning shit at talksport (Bruce, Allardyce, pardew), doesn't try and win the journalists over.

I said a while back, he's exactly what the club and some fans need.  A fresh no nonsense perspective.  

On 03/10/2021 at 11:58, msloan78 said:

Id say if they're muscular injuries,  its probably that they're being worked harder and playing with a greater intensity than we have for a long time, and that takes a period of physical adaptation.

That and just being unlucky with some injuries like DCL/Richy.

I imagine you are right, I get the feeling they were given a very easy time by Carlo!

On 03/10/2021 at 22:58, Aidan said:

I'm pleased with how much more tactically astute he is compared to Ancelotti. Substitutions and changes of system are much more effective and we offer much more in transition than last year.

We look so much more balanced even with recent injuries.

The difference on the counter attack is stark. We were terrible last season at trying to get from our defensive shape and into position to create a chance. Now it feels like whenever we win the ball back in midfield, we have numbers flooding forward, trying to make something happen. Its a bit like a game of basketball!

Remember second season with Silva (worst manager I recall, yes worse than Walker, though he seems to be doing ok at minute) we had a very favourable opening fixture list similar to this season look at first 6 games and hope for 18pts realistically take 13 pts(4w 1d 1l) Silva had us on 6/7pts (hurts to look it back up), Rafa had us on 13pts and playing the best football without the ball I can remember, and we are effective with it. He is a manager as well as a coach as well as a tactician as well as a father figure/headmaster, he didn't really have to win me over as although he wouldn't have been my choice (Thomas Franck), I could see the sense in his appointment after whats gone since Moyes left, a steady hand on the rudder, if towards the end of the season we are in the chase for europe (CL), I'm sure we will be more aggressive in the hunt than we were under CA. I definitely trust Rafa and he's on an upward curve at the minute, though he still has to improve my faith in him which will only come over time and with consistency, do wish he'd got more credit from the "pundits" this weekend, though they have been fairly complimentary about us/him this season.

On 03/10/2021 at 16:09, Hafnia said:

Rafa is a proper coach, he's not arsed about popularity like the ones who have their mates spinning shit at talksport (Bruce, Allardyce, pardew), doesn't try and win the journalists over.

I said a while back, he's exactly what the club and some fans need.  A fresh no nonsense perspective.  

Very happy to agree with this part of your post mate, I can’t go along with the Kenwright part I quite like the guy but that’s just a difference of opinion not a condemnation of your opinion.