IGNORED

Demarai Gray

8 hours ago, Matt said:

Nealry all wingers are inconsistent. Being consistently creative isn't realistic and a lot of it depends on players around that player seeing the opportunities too. 

He just needs to play the ball occasionally when the fullback overlaps and he will improve no doubt

16 hours ago, Matt said:

Nealry all wingers are inconsistent. Being consistently creative isn't realistic and a lot of it depends on players around that player seeing the opportunities too. 

Exactly. I’m always saying stats are misleading for this reason. 
You only get an assist if your recipient puts the ball away.

You could set up a chance on a plate gift wrapped, but if the forward miss’s….. you don’t get an assist.

This is why players in Bayerns team look like assist machines, after struggling in the premier league. 

11 hours ago, Btay said:

He just needs to play the ball occasionally when the fullback overlaps and he will improve no doubt

He was also playing with a manager who told his fullbacks to not advance. Under Frank he may get that overlap more often.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

He was also playing with a manager who told his fullbacks to not advance. Under Frank he may get that overlap more often.

Agree to a point. Towards the end of last season Myko bombed on nicely into go areas but Gray never looks like playing the ball. 

He has all the talent required, I just think as a team we would be more creative if he made that pass every now and then. No issue with him cutting in for the shot just not every time like he was doing last season after that arsenal goal.

4 minutes ago, Btay said:

Agree to a point. Towards the end of last season Myko bombed on nicely into go areas but Gray never looks like playing the ball. 

He has all the talent required, I just think as a team we would be more creative if he made that pass every now and then. No issue with him cutting in for the shot just not every time like he was doing last season after that arsenal goal.

Not saying he can't improve but he was coming back from injury into a team with a new manager and devoid of morale. 

Put it this way; I believe the DM we had before his injury was vital to the points we got and is a real pain for defenders. If Richarlison goes, we don't have anyone else as direct as him. He will learn and can be coached to release the ball now that we go into the season without the immediate threat of relegation hanging over our heads, something that I imagine made him want to be selfish because he can and does score. 

43 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I feel like Gray's value is only going down. He was the main man for Benitez but has been crap since Lampard came in, showing all the frustrating traits he has shown throughout his career. 

He was only bought for less than £2m, if he’s worth less than that now we’ve got a massive problem. 😂

3 hours ago, Bailey said:

I feel like Gray's value is only going down. He was the main man for Benitez but has been crap since Lampard came in, showing all the frustrating traits he has shown throughout his career. 

Can only repeat what I said earlier in response to this. Nearly all the club looked crap when Frank took over, don't think it's fair to judge anyone considering the state we were in. 

14 hours ago, StevO said:

He was only bought for less than £2m, if he’s worth less than that now we’ve got a massive problem. 😂

You know what I mean! 🤣

11 hours ago, Matt said:

Can only repeat what I said earlier in response to this. Nearly all the club looked crap when Frank took over, don't think it's fair to judge anyone considering the state we were in. 

Also true. I just dont see things working out as well for him as they did with Rafa.

• 1 month later...
25 minutes ago, c1982 said:

A lot of Sarr talk now… sadly to potentially replace Gordon rather than Gray.

It worries me that I’d have been happy with Dennis, I quite like Sarr and I really like Joao Pedro. Did Watford really have a decent front three or has my head gone? I know it’s late and I’ve had a busy few days, but I can’t process it. 

22 hours ago, Matt said:

Great run, sublime control and quality finish. This is why I don't want him to go, he comes up with moments of brilliance that get us points. 

Absolutely this. 

See jinking run that set up the equaliser against Palace last season and the dead ball delivery for DCL's winner.

When he breaks from midfield, he can be a real asset. I still don't think he's being used properly.  

1 hour ago, Btay said:

We need him to step up and be consistently good. Drifts in and out of games far too often. He has all the ability to be a very, very good player - it’s time it all clicked together though.

He's a winger though, so consistency is never going to happen. I hope he gets a run and plays like he did preinjury last season. There's certainly a dangerous player there. 

3 hours ago, Btay said:

We need him to step up and be consistently good. Drifts in and out of games far too often. He has all the ability to be a very, very good player - it’s time it all clicked together though.

We've got a good player in Iwobi now and he went through some intense dislike from fans, so it is possible to turn it round.

4 hours ago, Shukes said:

Strange one with Gray.

He had shots before his goal. 
Put in dangerous free kicks and corners. 
Was direct, pacy and dangerous. 
Had an end product.

But fans don’t seem to like him.

Yet Gordon try’s the same, with less success, and fans love him as he’s trying so hard.

You've got a point. I'll admit, I'm a Demari hater (strong word, but I literally hate watching him play...seems so selfish)

So I checked his passing stats hoping to tell you that he was the greedy bastard we know him to be, but you know what....Gordon is worse (avg passes per game, key passes per game, crosses per game etc)...I couldn't find one stat in the passing area where Gordon was better.

8 minutes ago, Goodison Glory said:

You've got a point. I'll admit, I'm a Demari hater (strong word, but I literally hate watching him play...seems so selfish)

So I checked his passing stats hoping to tell you that he was the greedy bastard we know him to be, but you know what....Gordon is worse (avg passes per game, key passes per game, crosses per game etc)...I couldn't find one stat in the passing area where Gordon was better.

Honest of you. 
What I do find with Gray, is that he tries the more penetrating passes as well. And due to this, we remember that final ball much more.

But the final ball is the single most difficult pass to make in all the game.

7 hours ago, Matt said:

He's a winger though, so consistency is never going to happen. I hope he gets a run and plays like he did preinjury last season. There's certainly a dangerous player there. 

That’s my point though - 1 goal in 20 something games isn’t good enough for a player of his ability. We need him to be at his best.