IGNORED

Demarai Gray

Again, Welcome to the club.

Feel like this one is good business. Don't expect anything exceptional. Doesn't hype me for the season. But, yeah, he's 25. Decent rep. Cheap. Fills a position we know we need more from. Should help us maintain our midtable status 👍

35 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

i'm fine with this transfer, it's 1.5m and he's a squad player, this is more of a lottery ticket type signing, either it goes well or it doesn't but it was a $1 scratch off, no biggie.  i liked him at leicester, i hope he's found some new motivation.

Good analogy. And he's already here in 'Murica with the team I understand.

It's 9am, already 85, heading for 95, and the current heat index is 95. Welcome to the South lads!

I am not a fan of his. Runs into too many dead ends and is very one footed. He is fairly quick but weak.

He can dribble but I don't think he has great technique with his passing or shooting either.

In my opinion, Townsend is much the better of the two.

At least he is cheap. Hopefully we can sell him on for a profit in a couple of years (if it doesn't work out).

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

I am not a fan of his. Runs into too many dead ends and is very one footed. He is fairly quick but weak.

He can dribble but I don't think he has great technique with his passing or shooting either.

In my opinion, Townsend is much the better of the two.

At least he is cheap. Hopefully we can sell him on for a profit in a couple of years (if it doesn't work out).

I imagine if we paid £1.6m for a player you were a fan of you would be ecstatic. 

38 minutes ago, StevO said:

I was hoping it was neither of them and someone exciting! My mate keeps telling me Townsend is going to be 10 (if things go bad for Gylfi) and not James, and it’s constantly ruining my life! 😂

Townsend might get number 8!

4 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

It’s good business either way. Would be like saying it’s only a good pass if you end up scoring. Very low risk, reasonable upside. 

The value of a player matters as much at £1.5m as it does £150m. You want a return for your investment. My guess (and not to put a downer on things) is that Grey will be a frustrating player to watch and we will be waiting to shift him like the rest of the players currently still infesting our squad.

If we pay £1.5m upfront and £2m a year in wages for him, it'll be £7.5m over 3 years wasted. That would not be 'good business'.

24 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Here’s an obscure stat as a left winger he is ranked 95th in the world 🤷‍♂️

1982-5 we bought in Derek Mountfield from Tranmere (£30,000), Kevin Sheedy (Liverpool reject £100,000), Peter Reid from Bolton (sicknote £60,000), Alan Harper (another Liverpool reject £100,000), Trevor Steven from Burnley (£300,000), Terry Curran from Sheff Utd (£90,000), Andy Gray from Wolves (sicknote £250,000), Paul Bracewell from Sunderland (£285,000) and Pat van den Hauwe from Birmingham (£100,000). Different times I know so the numbers are relative but the £1m barrier had been broken in 1979 so still largely bargain basement and lower league punt signings.

It created a team that was much greater than the sum of its parts, not for a moment saying we're going to hit those levels of success anytime soon, just that buying "lesser" players isn't necessarily the wrong way to go.

2 minutes ago, MikeO said:

1982-5 we bought in Derek Mountfield from Tranmere (£30,000), Kevin Sheedy (Liverpool reject £100,000), Peter Reid from Bolton (sicknote £60,000), Alan Harper (another Liverpool reject £100,000), Trevor Steven from Burnley (£300,000), Terry Curran from Sheff Utd (£90,000), Andy Gray from Wolves (sicknote £250,000), Paul Bracewell from Sunderland (£285,000) and Pat van den Hauwe from Birmingham (£100,000). Different times I know so the numbers are relative but the £1m barrier had been broken in 1979 so still largely bargain basement and lower league punt signings.

It created a team that was much greater than the sum of its parts, not for a moment saying we're going to hit those levels of success anytime soon, just that buying "lesser" players isn't necessarily the wrong way to go.

Great times Mike never to be repeated again in my life time that’s for sure, even Kendall got the managers job as a gamble, he gambled big style with his acquisitions and I would say not with any real idea, but the football gods were smiling on him and us and it clicked, best years of my life. About time I watched Howard’s way again, always makes me believe all things are possible when it comes to Everton unfortunately it seems to wear off a lot quicker lately. 

34 minutes ago, Aidan said:

The value of a player matters as much at £1.5m as it does £150m. You want a return for your investment. My guess (and not to put a downer on things) is that Grey will be a frustrating player to watch and we will be waiting to shift him like the rest of the players currently still infesting our squad.

If we pay £1.5m upfront and £2m a year in wages for him, it'll be £7.5m over 3 years wasted. That would not be 'good business'.

You’re making my point for me. The amount invested in an average Everton 1st team player (including transfer fees) over a 3 year span has to be over 25m. Gray costs a fraction so the level he needs to produce to be good value for money is far lower than our average guy. Just being a player we have for cover who gets time in some cup games to give starters a rest is worth 7.5m over several years in today’s market. The frustration comes when you get a Bolassie or an Iwobi who we’ve heavily invested in. Gray is a flier. If it works out then great, if it doesn’t *shrug*. He’s shown enough to be worth a relatively small gamble. There is far more upside than downside here. 

38 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Well it's certainly a better model than spending £8m quid and £130k a week on the likes of Delph isn't it. 

The lad has raw attributes and for me those attributes arent available elsewhere in the squad.  I'd sooner have him than Walcott. 

8 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Well it's certainly a better model than spending £8m quid and £130k a week on the likes of Delph isn't it. 

The lad has raw attributes and for me those attributes arent available elsewhere in the squad.  I'd sooner have him than Walcott. 

A far better model, yes. Just need to find the quality for a decent fee now (easier said than done)!

10 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

You’re making my point for me. The amount invested in an average Everton 1st team player (including transfer fees) over a 3 year span has to be over 25m. Gray costs a fraction so the level he needs to produce to be good value for money is far lower than our average guy. Just being a player we have for cover who gets time in some cup games to give starters a rest is worth 7.5m over several years in today’s market. The frustration comes when you get a Bolassie or an Iwobi who we’ve heavily invested in. Gray is a flier. If it works out then great, if it doesn’t *shrug*. He’s shown enough to be worth a relatively small gamble. There is far more upside than downside here. 

It is a small gamble, I agree. Evertonians are are never happy though and I don't intend on starting now 😉

5 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

I believe Iwobi has untapped potential and talents it will be interesting to see who gets the most game time out of the 2 my money at this moment in time is on Iwobi. Regardless of how much money you cost or your wages every player is brought in to take a position in the squad and improve the team, if you don’t improve the team and stop getting picked you are a failure no matter what you cost, in my eyes failure or success is based on what you achieved for the team not what you financially cost the team. 

26 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I believe Iwobi has untapped potential and talents it will be interesting to see who gets the most game time out of the 2 my money at this moment in time is on Iwobi. Regardless of how much money you cost or your wages every player is brought in to take a position in the squad and improve the team, if you don’t improve the team and stop getting picked you are a failure no matter what you cost, in my eyes failure or success is based on what you achieved for the team not what you financially cost the team. 

Iwobi has ability but I don't think a position has been invented for him yet 

It seems he likes to do xy or z then fails at them. 

5 hours ago, Hafnia said:

I imagine if we paid £1.6m for a player you were a fan of you would be ecstatic. 

It doesnt matter of the player costs us a tenner or £100mil. All that matters is what happens on the pitch. 

If you want a squad full of players costing less than £2mil you should watch more of league 2.