IGNORED

Demarai Gray

I don't know why people get so worked up about the 'starting 11' and who starts and who gets dropped, we seem to have a fixation on getting all the 'best' players in the starting 11.

Quality of opposition, tactics, team mates available or not, recent past and future game work loads, timing of impact from bench for maximum effectiveness in any particular game all need to come in to it as much as who did 'best' the last couple of training session before the game. 

Players just need to be ready each and every time to make their impact on the game whether they start or come of the bench.

32 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

I don't know why people get so worked up about the 'starting 11' and who starts and who gets dropped, we seem to have a fixation on getting all the 'best' players in the starting 11.

Quality of opposition, tactics, team mates available or not, recent past and future game work loads, timing of impact from bench for maximum effectiveness in any particular game all need to come in to it as much as who did 'best' the last couple of training session before the game. 

Players just need to be ready each and every time to make their impact on the game whether they start or come of the bench.

True, but you also have to consider that the manager has a style of play that shows regardless of the opposition. Iwobi played well and deserves a chance to prove he can be flexible and play well against different opponents with tweaked tactics. It’s rare for a manager to just completely change his philosophy just because of the opposition. 

I won’t discount all the variables you mentioned. They’re important, but I think a good manager plays him in the next game barring any injury. Does that mean Lampard is a bad manager if he doesn’t play him? Of course not. 

I just think the term 'rotate' in more in keeping with modern professional football - rather than 'being dropped'. You want to keep your top 18 player's match fit, sharp and happy as best you can. Players in the modern game have to expect a degree of rotation and not be overly sensitive about not being the starting 11 every single game - if we are going to play a high tempo press, then rotation is going to vital especially if we have two games a week.

9 hours ago, Bill said:

I wouldn't dream of trying to change your opinion LB, we're all different in the way we think.

I'll say it again ... He will get games if the Manager rotates but it would be a crime if he left out Iwobi after he had the best game he's ever had in a blue shirt, now that would be soul destroying.

I think we agree that places have to be earnt and Iwobi earnt his chance through training and the performance in the last game. As long as he impresses in training he starts the next match. Its the way it should be.

Gray if fit may start on the bench at the weekend. But after that he’s back in the side full time when fit. Not even questionable.

Iwobi will be anonymous on Saturday that’s how history is played out. Prove me wrong Alex. Regardless he doesn’t keep Gray out this side EVER

4 minutes ago, Formby said:

Gray is a much better footballer than Iwobi: more explosive, more dynamic, quicker on the front foot, faster, better shooter, better crosser. I'm not against Iwobi playing in certain systems, but in a straight swap, I would always have Gray. If he's fit, he plays for me. If he plays badly, he gets pulled.

Totally agree. At the same time, what sort of message does it send when you get an opportunity to start and have arguably the best performance you've had since joining the club, and then are benched the next time out? Think Iwobi deserves the start this weekend.

Either way I think it's irrelevant as it sounds like Gray will be missing, or at best on the bench.

16 minutes ago, Formby said:

Gray is a much better footballer than Iwobi: more explosive, more dynamic, quicker on the front foot, faster, better shooter, better crosser. I'm not against Iwobi playing in certain systems, but in a straight swap, I would always have Gray. If he's fit, he plays for me. If he plays badly, he gets pulled.

I'm sure that would apply to everybody.

I can't see Lampard saying this and then not starting him again, whether Gray is fit or not 

“It was hard to pick a man of the match out of those 11 players but, for me, it was Alex.

“The reason was the work ethic he showed, his fitness throughout the game, the way he picked up the positions we wanted off the ball and kept wanting to receive the ball and drive and play.

“He played because he trained so well and that is something I stand behind strongly as a coach.

“Sometimes you pick a team and people outside don’t understand why you pick a player.

“I understand that, too.

“But when someone trains as well as he has [he deserves to play]. All I want is for Alex to have belief and feel the talent he has – I am not sure I expected that 90 minutes of work-rate. He hadn’t played for me... and, wow, I thought he was outstanding."

8 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I can't see Lampard saying this and then not starting him again, whether Gray is fit or not 

That’s what every player wants to hear that if you work hard you get the opportunity’s and no one’s a guaranteed pick, team’s progress when there’s competition for places. Well done Iwobi and good on Lampard for recognising the effort.  

7 hours ago, Formby said:

Gray has had his off days as well though. He has the x factor in him that can win a game from nothing.

I don’t want any guarantee starters though - form/performances/training merit selection. Gray is going to have to be firing to get back into this team and it only benefits Everton

Gray would be my first choice based on this season, after Saturday Iwobi does deserve to keep his place, which it looks like he will as Gray is out, I’d normally be unhappy at seeing Iwobi starting or even on the team sheet ( as a walked to my seat last Saturday the team was being announced, 3 stewards were talking to each other, and I heard them say what the fuck, why is he starting Iwobi and most would agree) but if he can continue it gives us a much stronger squad and we can allow players to fully recover from injury, I’m sure we have been brining payers back too soon.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Shukes said:

I think all can see how creatively we drop off a cliff when he’s not on the pitch now.

We need this lad back and running at players to push defences backwards. Him and Gordon opposite sides.

I would do that in a 433 but not so sure in a 442, then you have the issue who you play up front DCL or Richarlison, for me at the moment I would go with Richarlison just because of match fitness and work rate, but definitely need Gray back he’s a miss without a doubt. 

• 2 weeks later...

Another player who’s not been up for the fight. Ghosts in and out of games and of late hasn’t been in them at all. 

Lad on the train home yesterday nailed it. Benitez played to Townsends and Grays strengths as they were his signings. Now that’s gone they are struggling. More so Gray.

3 minutes ago, MC11 said:

Another player who’s not been up for the fight. Ghosts in and out of games and of late hasn’t been in them at all. 

Lad on the train home yesterday nailed it. Benitez played to Townsends and Grays strengths as they were his signings. Now that’s gone they are struggling. More so Gray.

He has been injured and also I'll do it's going to affect him he will be used more now we don't have many options.

3 hours ago, MC11 said:

I definitely agree about Gray. He was Benitez's only real attacking outlet. I think he enjoyed being that main man. 

10 hours ago, Bailey said:

I definitely agree about Gray. He was Benitez's only real attacking outlet. I think he enjoyed being that main man. 

Well that’s tough shit isn’t it.  I’m sure there are lots of things players prefer - Digne preferred to attack rather than defend and fell out with Rafa about it, as a fan I prefer a player doing what they are asked to the best of their ability. 

all hands to the pump, they can ask frank for special considerations in the summer but for most of them they will be getting asked to clear their lockers. 

18 hours ago, MC11 said:

Which begs the question why Lampard has not done that. Why do we always play players in their wrong positions? And not to their strengths? It's a real Everton curio, that.

Gray has certainly not come back the same. Trying to do too much, I guess, but that's what happens when the whole team is misfiring. He is trying to do it all himself.