IGNORED

Demarai Gray

I think Grey has it well within him to get +7 goal a season, and at the moment every goal counts. He is a player who sometimes can come up with a goal out of nothing, and these are players we have been lacking in recent years. So I am happy to have him around the squad. These is definately room for improvement but he has the basics of speed and skill, add some improved decision making; with will be on the coaching team to get out of him; and he could be capable of doing good things in a blue shirt. Especially given his actual cost.

2 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

I think Grey has it well within him to get +7 goal a season, and at the moment every goal counts. He is a player who sometimes can come up with a goal out of nothing, and these are players we have been lacking in recent years. So I am happy to have him around the squad. These is definately room for improvement but he has the basics of speed and skill, add some improved decision making; with will be on the coaching team to get out of him; and he could be capable of doing good things in a blue shirt. Especially given his actual cost.

Both wingers need to be contributing minimum 10 goals a season each if they are playing 35/38 games a season. If gray scored 3 goals and got 15 assists it would be a great return.

Gordon has potential but isn’t providing a great return for goals/assists so Gray unfortunately as our senior winger needs to up his level. Took his goal very well on the weekend, made a similar run last week against Villa which Iwobi nearly found him. I have no doubt he can do it and I really hope this is start of a productive period for him.

17 hours ago, Btay said:

That’s my point though - 1 goal in 20 something games isn’t good enough for a player of his ability. We need him to be at his best.

Are you looking at the last 20 games where he was coming back from injury, sub appearances, shitshow of a team? I'm looking at his first 4 months or so when he was fit and we were a complete disaster. That's the player we've got. 

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Are you looking at the last 20 games where he was coming back from injury, sub appearances, shitshow of a team? I'm looking at his first 4 months or so when he was fit and we were a complete disaster. That's the player we've got. 

He was a key player for Benitez at that time and the Spaniard definitely got the best out of him. I really wouldnt expect that to continue.

He has returned to his usual level of form shown at previous clubs. He also has a habit of doing well early on and then drifting.

17 minutes ago, Bailey said:

He was a key player for Benitez at that time and the Spaniard definitely got the best out of him. I really wouldnt expect that to continue.

He has returned to his usual level of form shown at previous clubs. He also has a habit of doing well early on and then drifting.

Why not?

7 hours ago, Matt said:

Just in general mate, 20 appearances isn’t a come back from injury. He was poor, along with the team but individual performances are what contributed to an overall poor team performance.

I agree with you, I hope he returns to that pre injury form & consistency. He has all the ability for it.

3 minutes ago, Btay said:

Just in general mate, 20 appearances isn’t a come back from injury. He was poor, along with the team but individual performances are what contributed to an overall poor team performance.

I agree with you, I hope he returns to that pre injury form & consistency. He has all the ability for it.

He was in and out after his injury, didn't get a solid run from memory. Minutes on the pitch is what he needs, I think he'd shine given that chance. 

6 hours ago, Matt said:

He was in and out after his injury, didn't get a solid run from memory. Minutes on the pitch is what he needs, I think he'd shine given that chance. 

You are right Lampard didn’t start him as much as Rafa, whether that was a fitness issue or a tactical decision I don’t know, but he is a player who will benefit the team more if he gets a good run he excels when his confidence is at it’s highest and can only achieve that with regular game time imo. 

• 1 month later...

Our squad will be a lot better when guys like Gray and McNeil aren’t starting. They have the ability to win a match but are too anonymous too often. 

Gray in particular was very poor yesterday. Too often there is a simple pass that would further our attack and he instead tries to do a trick or beat two men. He strikes me as a player who is trying to be a star rather than just playing good, effective football and letting those moments of individual skill happen more naturally.

On 02/10/2022 at 15:06, SpartyBlue said:

Our squad will be a lot better when guys like Gray and McNeil aren’t starting. They have the ability to win a match but are too anonymous too often. 

Gray in particular was very poor yesterday. Too often there is a simple pass that would further our attack and he instead tries to do a trick or beat two men. He strikes me as a player who is trying to be a star rather than just playing good, effective football and letting those moments of individual skill happen more naturally.

Yep, needs to pass the ball the majority of the time, but takes a shot instead. 

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

He has his moments but it would be great if we could sell him for a decent fee in the summer and re-invest that money in someone with more quality and less selfishness.

I guess it would be him or Gordon though and not both.

I don't understand any of this. One of our most threatening and productive players you want to sell? Madness. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I don't understand any of this. One of our most threatening and productive players you want to sell? Madness. 

Threatening yes but productive no. A player with his talent should be scoring and creating more chances for others. He pisses up more good opportunities than anyone else. He only has 1 goal or assist to his name this season. His underlying stats are ok compared to similar player but we know from Gray that he underperforms rather than over-achieves.

The way I see it is that it is healthy for us to sell a player every season for the books and to freshen up the squad a bit. The two players we have that we could sell at the top of their value to do that which we could replace their output fairly easily are Gray and Gordon. 

If we dont sell Gray by next summer, I think his value will go down whereas Gordon's has more chance of going up. 

I can see both sides of this. Gray provides some exciting runs, gets into threatening positions, but he seems to lack judgment on knowing how to convert - usually going it alone when an incisive pass would be better. Those runs can be amazing, but what must change to make them count? In the end, it's a coaching issue. Iwobi was so frustrating a year ago, although you could sense the talent. Good coaching has turned him around. The same needs to happen with Gray: Someone needs to take ownership of his situation and get the most value from him. If that doesn't happen over the course of the season, I agree that we should consider moving him along.

5 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I would rather have a player of Gray’s ability who is able to beat players at will and give defenders a tough time, yes he’s not the finished article, but Lampard and his team need to rein him in and work on his finished product when it comes to creating. 

I believe we're saying the same thing - except that you took fewer words. :)