IGNORED

Demarai Gray

3 hours ago, Shukes said:

That o it counts if a good offer comes in for him Bailey. That’s obvious for any player in the team. 

I actually think we would be looking at 7-8m for him. Which isn’t enough these days to replace him with a teenager. That would be terrible business, absolutely shocking.

Now if we’re offered 15m for him then yes we would be foolish not to cash in.

But if we were offered the right price for any player, the same counts. 

Thats the point. Im not saying sell at any cost, I am saying if someone offers us good money, we should take it. 

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

You can only do what you are saying if the offers are coming in, you can’t sell if no one is buying, I’m sure if the right concrete offer came in as happened with Richarlison and Gordon we would have taken it. Every player is only worth in monetary terms what someone is prepared to pay for them, and sometimes you have to make the decision not to sell if what they could be sold for is way below what it would cost to replace them and gamble why sell. Unfortunately things aren’t always as simple as we would like them to be. 

Again, I agree. Last summer there were reports of teams looking at paying decent money. That figure is going down and down now.

2 hours ago, Shukes said:

That’s my point Matt, even for 15m we would struggle find someone of his quality. To be honest I just threw that figure out there without even thinking about it.

My opinion is that he is low cost and seems happy to sit on the bench. 

It would cost a decent amount to replace him.

You say his quality but what is that? What does he actually bring apart from a lot of promise and nothing to show for it bar the odd screamer.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

No striker and a club in turmoil with a clueless manager. He is firepower, the club has been a bucket of water over the gunpowder. That's true for all of them to be honest. 

But still, you don't rate him. Who, for £15-20m, do we get to improve on him and want to come to this shitshow of a club?

Ill wait...

I gave you two examples from last summer who did as much as Gray in one season as he has done in two. One of them did come to this shit show as well 🤣

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Again, I agree. Last summer there were reports of teams looking at paying decent money. That figure is going down and down now.

Do we know of any firm offers from these said teams, or was it just all rumours with no concrete approaches. I personally don’t think we are guilty of not selling players at the right price, we have been guilty of buying the wrong players for over inflated prices that can’t be moved on, so they end up running their contracts down and walking on a free, but what we shouldn’t be doing is selling every player just because they have turned a profit, we need to look at the bigger picture which is how much more will it cost to replace them, and what we can afford are they better and will they make an improvement to the team. 

The quality I mention Bailey, is that he can take a player on and score a goal. 
He is a player that can turn a game by scoring a goal from nothing. 
Does he do it often enough? No he doesn’t, but he is capable of that and if used correctly he can be a good weapon to have. 

I get that he is a frustrating player, but he is a wide attacking player and they are all the same. Look at O’Neil. He is our hero at the moment. 
Now go back six months and look at the forums. It was a sigh when he was named a starter. 

Wide players are players that frustrate one minute and score a worldly the next.

2 hours ago, Shukes said:

I get that he is a frustrating player, but he is a wide attacking player and they are all the same. Look at O’Neil. He is our hero at the moment. 
Now go back six months and look at the forums. It was a sigh when he was named a starter. 

So much of a hero that you don't even know his name... poor lad.

39 minutes ago, Formby said:

Never one to knock a man when he's looking round for his 🕶️ and stats sheets, but it is very odd not to recognise Gray's value per money spent on him and yet laud Monsieur Maupay, whose ability seems miniscule and value less! 🙂

Very. 

17 hours ago, Palfy said:

Do we know of any firm offers from these said teams, or was it just all rumours with no concrete approaches. I personally don’t think we are guilty of not selling players at the right price, we have been guilty of buying the wrong players for over inflated prices that can’t be moved on, so they end up running their contracts down and walking on a free, but what we shouldn’t be doing is selling every player just because they have turned a profit, we need to look at the bigger picture which is how much more will it cost to replace them, and what we can afford are they better and will they make an improvement to the team. 

No we don't but there tends to be no smoke without fire these days, especially with agents how they are. Maybe there weren't any but its not hard to understand his value was higher after the 6 months of so with Benitez than it is now.

7 hours ago, Shukes said:

The quality I mention Bailey, is that he can take a player on and score a goal. 
He is a player that can turn a game by scoring a goal from nothing. 
Does he do it often enough? No he doesn’t, but he is capable of that and if used correctly he can be a good weapon to have. 

Wide players are players that frustrate one minute and score a worldly the next.

He can take on a player, he also very regularly loses the ball when he tries. He can score a goal, but evidence shows its not very many!

He can turn a game but he also pisses so many chances up the wall. He wastes far more than he scores.

46 minutes ago, Formby said:

Never one to knock a man when he's looking round for his 🕶️ and stats sheets, but it is very odd not to recognise Gray's value per money spent on him and yet laud Monsieur Maupay, whose ability seems miniscule and value less! 🙂

You may wish to read the posts a bit more Formby. Not once have I questioned Gray's value per money spent nor lauded Maupay's.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

No we don't but there tends to be no smoke without fire these days, especially with agents how they are. Maybe there weren't any but its not hard to understand his value was higher after the 6 months of so with Benitez than it is now.

9 hours ago, Shukes said:

I can just see it now we sell to Fulham for ballpark figure 15m they come to us first game of the season and he scores the winner. We shouldn’t sell until we know what we are getting as a replacement, at the moment he can operate in multiple positions which is a bonus for us until we secure others before we consider letting him go. 

On 15/06/2023 at 14:17, Bailey said:

You may wish to read the posts a bit more Formby. Not once have I questioned Gray's value per money spent nor lauded Maupay's.

I always read your posts! This thread is full of your negative comments about Gray. Not sure how you can deny that!

On 27/06/2022 at 16:42, Bailey said:

I feel like Gray's value is only going down. He was the main man for Benitez but has been crap since Lampard came in, showing all the frustrating traits he has shown throughout his career. 

In terms of Maupay, lauding was perhaps a shade too far but you have certainly been more forgiving of him than Gray - which is odd considering their respective price tags. 

On 27/12/2022 at 15:52, Bailey said:

Brighton play completely differently to us. Everything we might have liked about his performances for Brighton, were never going to be replicated at Everton. 

At Brighton he needed a lot of chances to score the goals he did. He was never getting that here. 

27 minutes ago, Formby said:

I always read your posts! This thread is full of your negative comments about Gray. Not sure how you can deny that!

In terms of Maupay, lauding was perhaps a shade too far but you have certainly been more forgiving of him than Gray - which is odd considering their respective price tags. 

I must admit I do find him very frustrating but thats because he is clearly very talented. Unfortunately though his career has shown him to be unable to deliver anywhere near what he should do. 

With Maupay, I just think it is more to do with him being in the wrong team than being as crap as people suggest. Not that I think he is a particularly good player either!

I think football fans have a habit of going to extremes on players, whereas the truth lies somewhere in the middle. As much as Maupay isn't the worst forward to grace Goodison, Gray also isn't as much of a threat as people have been suggesting. 

24 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I agree great money for the little we invested, my only concern is are we going to see the money reinvested I take nothing for granted with the twats running the club. 

That’s my worry too, a squad that escaped relegation on the final day of the season by the skin of its teeth is getting weaker and weaker by the day

1 hour ago, RuffRob said:

You would have to snatch their hands off. I have read a lesser figure of £17m, but still would make sense to sell. 

Would love to see some similar offers for the likes of Gomes etc. Saudis mad for it at the moment. 

Why?

Are people basing this on the fact we only paid £1.7m so it’s a tidy profit?

Don't get me wrong if we can then go and buy someone like Jack Harrison for the same price then it’s a deal worth doing but generally speaking £17m doesn’t tend to buy you a lot, and that’s if we get to spend it

49 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Why?

Are people basing this on the fact we only paid £1.7m so it’s a tidy profit?

Don't get me wrong if we can then go and buy someone like Jack Harrison for the same price then it’s a deal worth doing but generally speaking £17m doesn’t tend to buy you a lot, and that’s if we get to spend it

Good money for a player of Grays ability and going in to the final year of his contract. He is a fringe Dyche player, so think £17 to £25m can be better used elsewhere by him this season.

Have to be able to spend it.

I don't believe we won't reinvest money, otherwise we are doomed. Can't see investors coming in and be prepared to see no effort put in to the team.