IGNORED

Frank Lampard

• 2 weeks later...

I think the sign of a good manager is to look at how they have improved the players that they have at the club when they arrive and then to see how they integrate the new signings around those players. The best example at the moment is with Howe at Newcastle.

Apart from the inspired decision to move Iwobi into midfield, I am struggling to think of a player that has improved under Lampard. Any ideas?

12 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I think the sign of a good manager is to look at how they have improved the players that they have at the club when they arrive and then to see how they integrate the new signings around those players. The best example at the moment is with Howe at Newcastle.

Apart from the inspired decision to move Iwobi into midfield, I am struggling to think of a player that has improved under Lampard. Any ideas?

Myko

6 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I would say Pickford's mentality, Gordon, Mykolenko, but not many playing due to new signings. 

4 hours ago, Palfy said:

I would say Pickford's mentality, Gordon, Mykolenko, but not many playing due to new signings. 

Pickford has been very solid but I think that started under Benitez. 

Gordon definitely burst into life at the end of last season but I wouldnt say his current levels are any better than when he did play under Rafa. 

Personally, I think Mykolenko has been poor. 

We also have all these new signings and we are still in the same position. 

Whilst we haven't seen loads of him, Davies has looked a bit more sprightly than he did before. 

I do think he is building a stronger team. But it is going to take time.

I dont think any of us expected a sudden change in results, but I DO think we have raised our own expectations due to a little more optimism….. which is down to a renewed belief that things will change. 

A lot of that is due to Lampard for me.

28 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Pickford has been very solid but I think that started under Benitez. 

Gordon definitely burst into life at the end of last season but I wouldnt say his current levels are any better than when he did play under Rafa. 

Personally, I think Mykolenko has been poor. 

We also have all these new signings and we are still in the same position. 

Whilst we haven't seen loads of him, Davies has looked a bit more sprightly than he did before. 

Mate you asked if Lampard had improved any players that he inherited that are in the team, I gave you my views then you change tact and bring up new signings and we are still in the same position. If you don't rate Lampard you just need to come out and say it, I'm sure you won't be in a minority of one. We had two great chances to make it 2-1 before they got their second, we are far better than average in defence a huge improvement on last season, our Midfield is more solid than last season, our wide players need to improve or be moved on, and our forwards/strikers are wank, the best way to change or influence the outcome of games is to take your chances, and not expect your defence and midfield to get you a clean sheet every game to get you a point. Lampard needs to get a goal scorer in Maupay was a make do which hasn't worked out, without players who can finish I fail to see how we improve from where we are now. 

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

Mate you asked if Lampard had improved any players that he inherited that are in the team, I gave you my views then you change tact and bring up new signings and we are still in the same position. If you don't rate Lampard you just need to come out and say it, I'm sure you won't be in a minority of one. We had two great chances to make it 2-1 before they got their second, we are far better than average in defence a huge improvement on last season, our Midfield is more solid than last season, our wide players need to improve or be moved on, and our forwards/strikers are wank, the best way to change or influence the outcome of games is to take your chances, and not expect your defence and midfield to get you a clean sheet every game to get you a point. Lampard needs to get a goal scorer in Maupay was a make do which hasn't worked out, without players who can finish I fail to see how we improve from where we are now. 

I didn't change tact, you mentioned signings and I added a line about them and how they haven't really stepped up on the performances of the old players they replaced (who therefore cant show if Lampard has improved them). 

For me the jury is still out on Lampard, but after watching Newcastle and the transformation of a number of previoualy substandard players it made me question who has done that for us. It is only Iwobi that has made huge gains. I don't think anyone has been significantly worse but any progress of other players has been marginal at best. I think that after Benitez, quite a few of us would have expected certain individuals to improve and those individuals probably didnt include Iwobi! 🤣

We are the 4th worst team in the league in defence (quality of chances conceded), we have a coveted striker, a 50mil winger and we bought in two players to also play in those positions. When all of your attacking players are shit, I think you need to question the manager rather than blame the 7 or 8 players that cover those positions. They can't all be in terrible form at the same time. 

20 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I didn't change tact, you mentioned signings and I added a line about them and how they haven't really stepped up on the performances of the old players they replaced (who therefore cant show if Lampard has improved them). 

For me the jury is still out on Lampard, but after watching Newcastle and the transformation of a number of previoualy substandard players it made me question who has done that for us. It is only Iwobi that has made huge gains. I don't think anyone has been significantly worse but any progress of other players has been marginal at best. I think that after Benitez, quite a few of us would have expected certain individuals to improve and those individuals probably didnt include Iwobi! 🤣

We are the 4th worst team in the league in defence (quality of chances conceded), we have a coveted striker, a 50mil winger and we bought in two players to also play in those positions. When all of your attacking players are shit, I think you need to question the manager rather than blame the 7 or 8 players that cover those positions. They can't all be in terrible form at the same time. 

I did mention new signings, in the context that how can we judge if he has improved most of the players of last season when he has replaced them. DCL has been a one season wonder in reality, Maupay and McNeil were signings destined for the bench, he has improved Iwobi until he gets in front of goal, then there's no improvement. 

5 minutes ago, BedfordBlue said:

Time to go what he did tonight was ridiculous 

Before we point the blame at him, that was still a team with plenty of premier league experience. For far too long we have put all the blame on managers. Those players had a chance to stake a claim for more minutes and put in an absolutely piss poor effort. 
Maupay, Doucoure, Gordon, Mina, Keane, Holgate & Davies were so poor tonight.

We have no technical ability in our midfield, Doucoure can’t receive the ball and move it forward because he takes 2-3 touches to get it under control. Maupay’s first touch tonight was worse than Lukaku. Gordon’s only real impact was another rash tackle.

We would have been better off starting Mills & Cannon to at least see what they can do because it couldn’t have been worse than what we saw tonight - I’ll give you that. 

21 minutes ago, Sibdane said:

We can't keep changing managers. We just can't. Not unless it's so obvious he's the problem. I think he's far from the root cause of the problem though. 

I was of the same opinion before tonight and hopefully I will have calmed down and think the same tomorrow but he has massively shot himself in the foot tonight

I think he needs to be doing better with this bunch given how many new faces he has brought into the club. 

So often we have said players this, players that. Clear the lot of them etc. The majority are his players. He chose to keep Gordon and not re-invest. 

To his credit we have improved a lot at defending set pieces which plagued us last season, but it is time everyone stepped up and stopped fucking around as this is getting embarrasing again.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

I think he needs to be doing better with this bunch given how many new faces he has brought into the club. 

So often we have said players this, players that. Clear the lot of them etc. The majority are his players. He chose to keep Gordon and not re-invest. 

To his credit we have improved a lot at defending set pieces which plagued us last season, but it is time everyone stepped up and stopped fucking around as this is getting embarrasing again.

Is it on him for Davies & Gordon missing their chances which would have changed the game?

Same with Dom & Iwobi the game prior. Lampard has the take his portion of the blame & I think he will but the players need to put their hands up as well. 

Snippets from his post match interview for those interested. I think there’s a few players who would have gotten an absolute ear bashing after that one. 

In terms of the set-up of the game, I made changes because I've got to protect players who have got niggles or are playing again with the [short] turnaround for a really important league game on Saturday. But I also made changes because some players have been knocking on my door wanting to play and some players have trained well and made a case for playing. You put them in because they play for Everton and they should be able to come to Bournemouth and compete. Without even going into the nitty gritty details, they should be able to because there's a lot of experience in that team. They didn't do that – it's clear as day. I think the fans saw that.

I wanted to get through to the next round of the Carabao Cup, but when I look at the squad now, I learn more from them tonight than I do from watching training every day.

You chase the game and what happened can happen. There's another mistake on the fourth goal. There are individuals that need to look at themselves and say 'I was absolutely culpable there' and hold their hands up.

I think he made a large contribution to his own downfall by putting out that side last night

You simply can’t make that many changes and expect the team to look cohesive, especially since most of the back four or five whatever it fucking was have even kicked a ball this season

The result has completely changed the mood of the fan base and no doubt destroyed any confidence or morale in the squad

He has now put even more pressure on himself and the players to get a result at the weekend

Benitez did similar this time last year, after having a much better start, and it proved to be the beginning of the end for him and I fear Frank is now following a similar path

28 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I think he made a large contribution to his own downfall by putting out that side last night

You simply can’t make that many changes and expect the team to look cohesive, especially since most of the back four or five whatever it fucking was have even kicked a ball this season

The result has completely changed the mood of the fan base and no doubt destroyed any confidence or morale in the squad

He has now put even more pressure on himself and the players to get a result at the weekend

Benitez did similar this time last year, after having a much better start, and it proved to be the beginning of the end for him and I fear Frank is now following a similar path

To be fair the starting line up from last night would get any coach in the world fired from the premiere league.

44 minutes ago, Matt said:

I was fortunate enough to have such a shit stream that I gave up. Watching Frank's comments after the game though, I'm wondering if he's used this as show of how thin the squad is to the higher ups and hopefully that'll start a lot of movement in January.

I think that’s what he’s done. He made a comment about them knocking on his door to get in the team and then perform like that. When he was asked about if standards have dropped he said the players dropped the standard. 
I like how he’s positive a lot of the time, but was quite happy to see him call them out last night. 

38 minutes ago, StevO said:

I think that’s what he’s done. He made a comment about them knocking on his door to get in the team and then perform like that. When he was asked about if standards have dropped he said the players dropped the standard. 
I like how he’s positive a lot of the time, but was quite happy to see him call them out last night. 

He was simmering with rage but also had a smirk. I dunno, I'm wondering if he's playing the game out in public. Dangerous game if he is. 

20 hours ago, Btay said:

Is it on him for Davies & Gordon missing their chances which would have changed the game?

Same with Dom & Iwobi the game prior. Lampard has the take his portion of the blame & I think he will but the players need to put their hands up as well. 

Missing chances happens in football. If we were knocking on the door and it wasn't happening I would agree with you but that is far from the case.

It is very rare for us to have more quality chances than the opposition and therein lies the problem. 

20 hours ago, Btay said:

Snippets from his post match interview for those interested. I think there’s a few players who would have gotten an absolute ear bashing after that one. 

In terms of the set-up of the game, I made changes because I've got to protect players who have got niggles or are playing again with the [short] turnaround for a really important league game on Saturday. But I also made changes because some players have been knocking on my door wanting to play and some players have trained well and made a case for playing. You put them in because they play for Everton and they should be able to come to Bournemouth and compete. Without even going into the nitty gritty details, they should be able to because there's a lot of experience in that team. They didn't do that – it's clear as day. I think the fans saw that.

I wanted to get through to the next round of the Carabao Cup, but when I look at the squad now, I learn more from them tonight than I do from watching training every day.

You chase the game and what happened can happen. There's another mistake on the fourth goal. There are individuals that need to look at themselves and say 'I was absolutely culpable there' and hold their hands up.

There is no doubt there were a lot of individuals that let themselves down but that wasn't the performance of a side that has been well drilled on the training ground. 

We know that the players used in that formation arent particularly comfortable. We played with no width and our two most central midfielders (Garner and Davies) aren't very good defensively. Gordon isnt someone who you would expect to thrive centrally either. 

It had a feeling of seeing who is left, cobble it all together and hope it is good enough. You can't do that at this level of football as you get turned over. 

This is not all Lampard's fault, but from the top to the bottom, there was a complete lack of attention being paid to this game and it showed. Ultimately we got what we deserved.

8 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Benitez did similar this time last year, after having a much better start, and it proved to be the beginning of the end for him and I fear Frank is now following a similar path.

It puts huge pressure on the weekend now. It has become a must win game for Lampard.