IGNORED

Frank Lampard

2 hours ago, patto said:

It’s only 7 games I think he’s a good coach very attack minded. 

I disagree. 

He certainly has qualities as a coach but Chelsea are playing crap football, its very defensive (it contains but doesnt create) and a huge chunk of their chances come from defensive players. I think his football completely stifles attacking players. 

I think the writing has been on the wall there for a good 6-9 months and the team have got progressively worse in that time.

9 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I disagree. 

He certainly has qualities as a coach but Chelsea are playing crap football, its very defensive (it contains but doesnt create) and a huge chunk of their chances come from defensive players. I think his football completely stifles attacking players. 

I think the writing has been on the wall there for a good 6-9 months and the team have got progressively worse in that time.

If we had someone taking us to  3 finals in 12 months he would never be sacked. 

It might turn out to be a blessing in discuss that Lampard's Everton have not been putting loads of points on the board just yet. keeps other team's from sniffing around him. I think we can all see he is quietly going about improving us in a steady and considered manner - even if we are not getting instant spectacular results. 

Just like Gordon, I think Everton is a good club for Lampard at this time in his career. He is obviously intelligent and hardworking, knows he is also still learning the management trade and is flexible in his approach and he is a good man-manager. I think he has assembled a well throughout out support staff, and I can also seeing he is involved in bringing in a similarly well thought out playing staff also. We are a good fit right now. I feel something of substance is being done at the club now, rather than scatter gun quick fix approach. 

Chelsea are brutal in how they are with their managers - They need a proven manager who can as near as instantly turn a collection of great players in to a great team. That is not Frank Lampard at this moment in his career. 

This group of players Chelsea players can look at a Potter type in that dressing room and instantly think to themselves  "what have you ever won!!" when he starts dishing out any instructions or orders they don't like. I agree with most that he is not the right profile for them. 

2 minutes ago, Bill said:

If they don't, there's something wrong.  Should our expectation's be to finish 16 or 17th every year. ?

Obviously in an ideal world we'd be fighting at the top of the league every season and have high expectations, but the reality is that we're not, and won't be in the near future.

Our aspiration at the moment should be to improve year on year; trophies are pie in the sky at the mo.

4 hours ago, RPG said:

Well, we aren't going to win the league but we could go deep into the Cup competitions and maybe win a cup trophy. Didn't Wigan 'manage' to win the FA Cup and get relegated in the same season? Mid table finish in the league and who knows what might happen in the cups is my hope and expectation. I am confident that the longer the season goes on, the better we will be and that we will finish the season feeling that we are better than our final placing (whatever it is) and that may well give us an edge in the later stages of the cups as we run into form while the big 6 suffer the usual fixture congestion.

I do agree that continued, steady progress is most important but I don't see that as a bar to winning a trophy. It would also help with our summer recruitment if we could offer European soccer next season.

I'd suggest the gap between the "big" six and the rest has got wider in the last ten seasons; since Wigan won our domestic cups have been won by..

City 7
Arsenal 4
Liverpool 2
United 2
Chelsea 2

...with just Leicester breaking the mould.

Of course we should aspire to win every game we play, but I just think it's daft to compare our trophy winning expectations with Chelsea's. Expectations being the operative word.

4 hours ago, RPG said:

I can see both sides here. Realistically, logically, scientifically, yes, you are correct. But the magic of the FA Cup is such that teams like Wigan, Leicester etc can, and do win it. When we won it in 1984, we finished the league season strongly (7th if memory serves) after a mediocre first half of the season (we lost 9 league games up to the end of Dec 83 and only 3 more all season - I just checked) and I can see the potential in the squad that is being assembled at Everton right now to show a similar improvement this season.

What I really expect from this season is for it to leave us feeling excited and confident for next season. A good cup run would help. Winning a cup would be fantastic.

If the draw was kind enough to give us a Stoke, Gillingham, Shrewsbury, Notts County, Southampton and Watford route to the cup again we'd be in with a fighting chance.

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Gwlad all over said:

I just love that there is true optimism about the place. Frank and team seem to have a coherent plan and have got the players on board. I feel the most positive about my beloved Blues than I have for - probably -years. Hope he is happy to stay with us given that Christine and family are in London.

I was just thinking that we seem to have some proper personality in both ndividual players and team at the minute. Been years since we could say that.

11 hours ago, London Blue said:

We have conceded so many corners this season, and (for the most part) defended them really well that the fear has been reduced. Corner Immersion Therapy I guess 😂

Now if we can only learn to score from the corners we get, then the therapy would be complete. 

Unfortunately we dont look like scoring from them at the moment.