IGNORED

Frank Lampard

1 hour ago, Cornish Steve said:

The comments on the BBC's blog for our game were ridiculous, all about Lampard likely to be the first manager to be fired. What about Moyes? What about ten Hag? What about Vieira? We lost our first two games by a single goal, against reasonably tough opposition, and would likely have taken at least a point in each with a recognized striker (Rondon doesn't count). I just don't get it. We're doing OK, and we're going to do well once we've brought in all our recruitment targets.

Moyes finished 6th and 7th the last two seasons.

Ten Haag did great things at Ajax. He has shorter odds at the bookies than Lampard.

Vieira is loved at Palace after one of the best footballing seasons they had last year. 

Lampard saw us limp over the line last season without much improvement and has kicked off with 2 more losses and without an Everton player scoring a goal. That makes it 6 wins in 20 games in the league with a huuuuugge helping hand from the fans. 

Fwiw Hassenhuttle is the shortest price with the bookies, rightfully so after a shocking end to last season and not much better this. 

25 minutes ago, RPG said:

This window looks like taking place in 3 or hopefully 4 phases for Everton imho.

Phase 1. WTF is going on? We haven't really signed anyone apart from Tarkowski on a free.

Phase 2. Have faith in Lampard and Thelwell. Defence is sorted, that Onana looks a real player and Gueye and a striker will finish the window nicely. Another CM as well would be perfect.

Phase 3. WTF. Where is Gueye and why haven't we signed a striker and what's happening with Gordon?

Phase 4. What were we ever worried about? The new striker looks great, Gueye is holding things together nicely with Onana and Gallagher. We aren't missing Gordon at all and Lampard and Thelwell have done a great job.

That’s Dreamland isn’t it 

• 2 weeks later...

I know this probably isn't a popular thing to say, but I have no idea what he is trying to achieve with these players. 

We have not obvious pattern of play apart from soak it up and counter attack. We have no width whatsoever in attack and the three forward players aren't good enough to play intricate football between themselves in a small area of the pitch surrounded by countless defenders. 

Our two open play goals have come from long balls over the top. That is the level of football we are playing. It is quite literally all we have and it will dry up, especially when we play teams that defend deeper.

The difference between this and half decent football isn't a new striker either. 

Something needs to change.

I don’t think he is trying to achieve anything other than pick up a few points.

He is trying to get through until Dom is back, Godfrey is back, Maupay is available, Onana is up to speed, another forward comes in. 

We’ve also got a few others on the table.  Get through this period while picking up a few points, then I’ll judge him when he has his team.

20 minutes ago, Shukes said:

I don’t think he is trying to achieve anything other than pick up a few points.

He is trying to get through until Dom is back, Godfrey is back, Maupay is available, Onana is up to speed, another forward comes in. 

We’ve also got a few others on the table.  Get through this period while picking up a few points, then I’ll judge him when he has his team.

Doucoure as well. This season is just about survival and progressing the young players. At that point we should be in a much better spot to push on. No bad away points this season, that’s for sure.

4 minutes ago, Matt said:

This season is about transition, not survival. Mid table is a reasonable finish, and a point away isn't to be be dismissed. 

That said, he does need a win soon because tides will change very quickly. 

I think this is a bit of semantics. We stay up, we progress the young players. Whether we finish 10th or 14th doesn’t matter a whole lot towards our eventual goals. 

Just now, SpartyBlue said:

I think this is a bit of semantics. We stay up, we progress the young players. Whether we finish 10th or 14th doesn’t matter a whole lot towards our eventual goals. 

No, it's a misunderstanding of what survival means. Last season was survival, that is not acceptable again. 10-14 is mid-table and shows significant progress to with and safety with 1 game left. 

8 minutes ago, Matt said:

No, it's a misunderstanding of what survival means. Last season was survival, that is not acceptable again. 10-14 is mid-table and shows significant progress to with and safety with 1 game left. 

Again, it’s just how you’re defining it. My point is that I don’t particularly care where we finish this year as long as we stay up since we are unlikely to challenge for anything. It’s about the longterm project and finishing 13th over 15th matters little. As long as we stay up we should be much better the following year. At that point I will want to see some real progress.

Whilst I believe the aim that you guys have said is reasonable, I just don't see what we are trying to do on the pitch that will achieve that aim.

We have two experienced defenders in the mix and the defence is still a leaderless shambles.

We still look vulnerable at set pieces.

We still play awful football. 

There needs to be some real signs of progress soon because I am not seeing it. 

1 hour ago, SpartyBlue said:

Again, it’s just how you’re defining it. My point is that I don’t particularly care where we finish this year as long as we stay up since we are unlikely to challenge for anything. It’s about the longterm project and finishing 13th over 15th matters little. As long as we stay up we should be much better the following year. At that point I will want to see some real progress.

It matters massively. Financially, morale, showing progress, attracting better players because they they see positive progress and not 2 successive relegation battles with fans on their backs. 

Just now, Matt said:

It matters massively. Financially, morale, showing progress, attracting better players because they they see positive progress and not 2 successive relegation battles with fans on their backs. 

It matters a little bit but you’re overstating it I think. A player is going to come here because he believes in the project, his opportunity, money. I doubt it matters if we finish at 45 points or 50. Financially it isn’t a big impact moving a couple spots unless it’s into Europe. Of course I want us to do as well as possible but the main thing is to develop our young core and to stay up, hopefully with some room to spare. The risk this season is that with a lot of changes and youth coming into the team we get dragged into another relegation scrap. If we can get through this season I think we will be fine in that regard going forward. 

15 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

It matters a little bit but you’re overstating it I think. A player is going to come here because he believes in the project, his opportunity, money. I doubt it matters if we finish at 45 points or 50. Financially it isn’t a big impact moving a couple spots unless it’s into Europe. Of course I want us to do as well as possible but the main thing is to develop our young core and to stay up, hopefully with some room to spare. The risk this season is that with a lot of changes and youth coming into the team we get dragged into another relegation scrap. If we can get through this season I think we will be fine in that regard going forward. 

If anything, I'm understating it. You're doubting a lot here, or displaying incredible naievty. Each position was worth £1.5m extra the higher up you went a few years ago, unsure how much now but the TV deals only increase so more reward money. Theres a reason we've been bargain basement shopping recently and that's a) we're not attractive because of our decline, and b) that investment was based on a return from European football. Its massively important to finish as high as we can simply from a financial perspective. As for the other points I mentioned, I would hope they're self-evident as to why they cannot be underestimated.

7 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I'm desperate as anything for 433. 

6 minutes ago, barryj said:

I’m with you on this but the signing of Coady makes me feel that this isn’t the long term plan. 

Agreed with both. I don't see Frank shifting away from the 3 at the back unfortunately. Which is a real shame because I'd love to see a 3 man midfield that would allow Onana to be a bit more adventurous